First organic TGA closet grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by akblue56, Apr 6, 2011.

1. First grow attempt, indoor, 100% organic, TGA Genetics

Flourowing CFL 150W
    Mylar sheeting
    Foxfarm Soil
    General Organics Nutes Kit
    Honeywell Turboforce hv circulator
    Pur water filtration
    TGA Genetics seeds x2

Will keep updating...here are the setup and first couple days

Attached Files:

2. Welcome, akblue! nice pics....do you know what the strains are that you are running?

3. Thanks! Yes, I'm using Plushberry (80/20 Ind Dom) and Qleaner (60/40 Sat Dom)

4. Nice--you must be among the first, outside of the TGA testers, running Plushberry..will be interesting to watch. Do you follow Subcool's tips and rants on Youtube? He recently did a whole series on the selection of the Plushberry pheno and its testing results. I'm running The Flav at the moment and looking forward to trying a few others that are in my seed bank. Good luck!

5. Just recently started watching those, been following his blog on rollitup. Plus the guy who runs my favorite collective is a huge TGA fan. I'm definitely excited about the Plushberry after reading up on it's genetics. Similar, but far better than, a blackberry kush strain that works well for me. I'd be interested to see some pics from the Flav you're running :)

6. Check my sig...they are just starting to bloom. It's not been a happy grow for me, since I was really interested in the other two strains, but I got only males from them. Either really bad luck, or something with the rooting hormone I foolishly dusted the seeds with before germinating....Still, I hope the two remaining Flavs will keep going strong for 5-6 more weeks.

7. I haven't seen that before, and won't speculate on things outside my experience base, so I think the suggestion you had to check the plant problem thread is a good one. If you don't already have one, you are going to want a loupe or some other sort of magnifier that lets you see things at like 30x. My advice, besides checking the plant problems forum, is to get a close eye (meaning with a magnifier) on the leaves and the underside of the leaves. And don't react too quickly with any sort of solution, unless you feel pretty confident you have id'd the problem. Spider mites need quick response; almost everything else, your best bet is to keep observing carefully for a few days and go for maximum "LTFA" (leave the fuck alone) since the plants are very resilient if you just give them good soil, good water, light and air. Good luck!

8. That sounds like solid advice to me. I have read quite a few grow guides and looked through problem threads and I'm not quite sure what it is but I don't think it's spider mites. Hoping the soil isn't the problem, since I'm not sure what amount of nutes came in it

9. Thanks again for the advice Marapa, I believe after today that it was just minor heat stress, looking no worse/slightly better today. And I came home to a very interesting suprise, my Qleaner seed (day 3) has sprouted twins! Wasn't expecting that.....not great pics, but will post more in a few days when I get an idea if they will grow long enough so I can separate them into two pots.:smoke:

Attached Files:

10. Cool, AK...glad to hear it. :) About the twins, congrats, but don't worry if/when one of them dies. Twins from TGA strains, especially Jack the Ripper, which I believe I remember is in the lineage of Qleaner, are well known. As I understand it it's normal for only one to make it....I can't bring up the TGA site at the moment for some reason, but Subcool is quote on it here: TGA/Subcool Strain Guide

11. Wow great link, thanks a ton! You've been a huge help, can't thank you enough. That info about qleaner will come in handy :)

12. Updates: will be in a couple posts, I want to separate since I've done some serious modding in the last two weeks.

First, Qleaner twins update:

I was a little worried last week because the smaller twin was not showing much hope, but has developed some decent growth in the last couple days. When they are ready, I plan to separate the smaller twin, just like a clone, snip and dip in rootstock and try to repot. Here are some pictures of the last week, currently on day 15.
    Pics
    day 11-15

Attached Files:

13. Second update, I've spent the last 5 days building a flowering tent to maximize the space I have available. I've now dedicated the whole closet just to plants, now have a seedling station and a flowering tent. Here's my flowering tent build:

-400W HPS Dimmable/Switchable Ballast
    -2x Eclipse energy-efficient light-blocking curtains, back lined with 2ml Mylar (attached with staples), attached to existing wire shelf in closet, covered floor and over shelf with mylar-lined curtains. Interior walls also covered with mylar, curtains sealed to wall w/ waterproof ducting tape (Nashua). Closed with snaps and velcro for dark period ($30 @walmart)
    -3x80mm 5700RPM fans- attached to duct/pipe, w/filter, 2 out/1 in. Powered by 200W computer PSU
    -Digital light timer set to 12/12 schedule
    -Will add shelf to bottom to keep plants off floor
    Pics- build, light to arrive monday, will hang perfect from wire rack

Attached Files:

14. Update, end of week 3
    Here are some new pics, just started nutes on all, half strength, plus neem oil mixed with the solution. All looking good so far, the Plushberry #1 has recovered from near-loss very well. Just separated the twins three days ago, clipped below soil, dipped in rootstock and placed in root riot cube, *crossing fingers* hoping for survival :smoke:

Attached Files:

15. Sorry for the break, here's some updates and pictures. Sad news, my strong main Qleaner plant, the one that was originally the dominant twin, sprouted male so I chopped it a few days ago. The weaker twin is still alive and doing quite well, up to 1gal smart pot now, no sex yet, but I'm keeping it to see if it will sprout a different sex than the main one did. I'll break these up by plant....
    Qleaner twin2

Attached Files:

16. Here is the first Plushberry I planted, PB#1, the one that survived a root aphid attack and near death, just moved to flowering 2 days ago, she looks great! Had some slight purple show on the leaves last week.

Attached Files:

17. Here is Plushberry #2, went into flower 12 days ago. Couple pics from the flower tent. Also now SHE so, 2/3 so far I'm happy. Took one clone from each PB so far, we'll see which one is stronger pheno.

Attached Files:

18. Last, here's a freebie I got with a seed order, Emerald Jack (fem). Planted just for some variety and comparison. Here's a couple pics, one day 10-14. Also planted another Qleaner seed to get that strain back up and running, that was the strain I was most interested in so far, well tied with Plushberry.

Attached Files:

19. looking good ak, glad you're back with the updates...and that you saved both those qleaner twins!