First nutrient feed....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dankmass, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Ok this might be a stupid question but bear with me. This is my first grow and I'm just starting off with one plant. It's almost 2 weeks since sprouting and I think it's ready for its first nutrients. I got the fox farm dirty dozen so will be following their feeding schedule, although I will probably start off with about a 1/4 of what they recommend to get the plant used to nutrients.
    The feeding schedule says feed twice a week or every other water. My question is (don't laugh) - if I replace a watering with nutrients, do I still water on top of giving the nutrient solution? Or does the nutrient solution count as a watering as it is 97% water anyway....
    Also.. how much of the nutrient solution would I feed to the plant? The same as a normal watering... 20% run off?
    Any advice would be helpful, I've seen a lot of videos and posts about mixing nutrients but nothing about how much to give the plants
    Thanks in advance for any advice. Here's a few pics of my 13 day old diesel seed from growers choice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. The fert counts as a watering, there are no stupid questions brudda, except the ones not asked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks mate. In terms of how much nutes to feed.... the same as a watering?

4. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! If you want to burn that plant up....then go ahead. You should repot into a larger container if your plant has already used up the nutrients in the soil....which it hasn't unless you've got it growing in a dixie cup. If you are using a soil of any quality at ALL....no 2 week old plant needs nutrients. Right now it needs good soil, good light and PLAIN water adjusted to the proper pH level (6.3 to 6.7 for soil grows). We don't start feeding ours until toward the end of the veg cycle. Repotting as they grow and using a good quality grow soil can handle all the nutritional needs of a young plant. They really don't need fed until they've matured and had the opportunity to use up the nutrients that came in the soil you started it in and that takes time. A hungry plant will wash out in color to a more yellowish green instead of that rich blue/green color we associate with a healthy plant. They will also look like that sometimes when they're over watered. But there is no way your plant needs food right now. Put the emphasis on LIGHT that you're putting on nutes because that's what counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. That's pretty much the opposite to what everyone else is saying bud... just from what I've read. No disrespect
    2 weeks old seems to be the suggested age to start feeding nutes - at a more diluted level so that the plant does not experience nutrient burn. Right now she is in a 50/50 mix of FFOF and FFHF. Yes there are nutrients in these soils but minimum, compared to the dirty dozen.
    I don't understand why you would only start to feed nutrients towards the end of veg stage? That goes against everything that I've read, and surely your plant would take so much longer to reach the desired size?
    Everything else is on point right now - light, water, soil. Thanks for the input

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

7. Well are you growing in fox farm soil?.... I never go by the recommended... with fox farms ocean forest and the right transplants I don't need food until half way into flower... with happy frog I need it a couple weeks into flower. Your plant will not benefit from being overnuted. You can look at the plant and see that the soil is still feeding it

Like TWW said if your intention is to burn her then go ahead and hit her with a dose of nutes lol

Grow journal

• Like Like x 4
  8. 50/50 mix of happy frog and ocean Forrest. This completely contradicts a bunch of stuff I've read saying you should start feeding nutrients after around 2 weeks. So I don't know what to do now

9. #9 generic98547, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Well feed and find out man idk what to tell ya I grow in the same stuff so I already know exactly what you are about to do to them... Zzz some people prefer to find out for themselves some prefer to listen to people that have already done it lol... either way you'll find out what you prefer. Check out my first grow to see how fun nute burn is lol

I personally think you have 2-3 weeks before needing nutes but the plant will tell you anyhow.

Also I'm not hating on you I know how it goes my first grow I ended up doing my own thing there is nothing wrong with doing what you want to do and seeing how it works but if you do go with super light doses I wouldn't much at all maybe 1/8th tsp or something tiny like that...

Grow journal

• Like Like x 2
  10. This is a great question.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. I agree. In ffof that will last you like a month or so. When you transplant the fresh soil has more nutes in it. My first grow I fed her too young and she got nute burn. And to answer your question about watering, use the same amount of water whether you are feeding or not. So don't just pour your nutes in the soil and then dump water on it. Mix your nutes into your water, check the pH, fix the pH if needed, then water with that. I did 15-20% runoff and that seemed to work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I use liquid karma or thrive alive b1 in the early stages, if you don't have such, you can mix a weak solution of 125-150 ppm of a veg solution