First non-Ghetto Grow, Looking For Some Advice/opinions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GrowFan420, Jun 7, 2014.

1. #1 GrowFan420, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
    Hey fellow growers, I've had 4 grows done prior to this but this is my first grow with what I'd like to consider real equipment. All my grows prior to this was done without ventilation, flowering nutrients nor "decent" soil.

Anyways to the point I'm currently growing two females, whom both is in flowering. I have a 1.2x1.2x2m tent which they're situated in. Running with 250W HPS, I have a outtake fan which pushes about 180m3/h out of the tent and a passive intake. I also have another fan which circulates air inside the tent. I'm just running it at slowest speed and have it blow a slight breeze on the plants. My concern is with my one female plant (Pineapple Chunk by Barney's Farm), in vegging it had a harder time than the other plant at growing and was pretty behind, I topped my other plant (Trainwreck by Royal Dutch Genetics) to kinda try and let it catch up. I've had 12/12 lights running for a while now, I don't have any specific date since I didn't write it down which I prolly should have done... So I actually have no clue precisely when they went into flowering, although I got a feeling that it's atleast 6 weeks ago and maybe up to 8 weeks ago i switched to flowering. My concern is that Pineapple Chunk doesn't seem to grow that well compared to Trainwreck in terms of bud development, it has hardly started its buds and the leaves seem somehow sad? however It has grown in height noticably, it's taller than trainwreck is now.

Here's 2 pictures of it, apologies for the bad quality.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now compare it to trainwreck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They both switched to 12/12 at same time although pineapple chunk took a little bit longer, maybe a week or two to start flowering. But I'm still thinking to myself, shouldn't it have grown a bit more? My other plants definitely did that.

Another thing I find interesting about the plant is one of its characteristics. A few of its shoots to the side have by themself split open and gone out into two shoots instead? It doesn't happen consistenly but I've seen it 3 places on the plant.

Example:
    [​IMG]

She tends to be less thirsty than trainwreck aswell, both were fed sensi grow a+b for vegging and are being fed bio bloom for flowering, I don't follow a schedule as of this grow since I wanted to do one without. Both are planted in Canna Terra Professional soil, trainwreck was transplanted in it aswell, Pineapple was transplanted with Canna Coco soil. Both transplanted into 18L pots 30.5x30.5x30cm(ish).

Is there any advice/tips on how to improve pineapple chunks situation? Or should I just give her time. Also i'm trying to figure out how far trainwreck is in flowering, any ideas?
    Also any other constructive criticism is more than welcome! I'm only looking to improve.

2. looks like over watering and maybe reveg...no light leaks right?

3. #3 GrowFan420, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014

Now that you're mentioning it, actually I've had two "light leaks" both my mistake, opening the tent while its dark. One happen in start of flowering and the other happend not too long ago, maybe a week at max. However I quickly closed it off again both times realizing what I'd done. I'm pretty sure I don't have any actual light leaks in the tent although I just went and sealed them even further just for the sake of it. I'll check and confirm there's no light leaks once light goes on.

I dont really understand how I can be over watering her, I mean I'm watering Trainwreck a lot more compared to her. She might get water once a week versus Trainwreck getting each second day? Does Trainwreck just need a lot more water since it's buds have started thickening? I only water them when they show signs of needing it (leaves hanging).

Appreciate the help :)

4. I'm no expert by any means as I'm currently on my first grow but I just read another thread on here someplace about the pineapple strains taking a very long time to veg and to flower. I recall reading a guy having the same issue as you and his turned out alright but it took a long time in the flowering stage...12 weeks to 16 weeks I read isn't unheard of with those strains.

So from what I've gathered in previous reading you should just concentrate on your other plant and harvest that one before the pineapple as it will most likely finish first I would think. Get whatever you can from the pineapple but if I were you I would plant a couple pineapple at a time and do only them or another strain that takes a long time as well to avoid the issues you have now. Keeping everything in the grow similar should make life a lot easier if you know what I'm saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Interesting, well yeah I dont mind waiting it out, I'll just give her the time she needs to get some nice buds. I've only heard good of the strain personally, and yeah I get what you mean by growing the same strain would make stuff easier, it's definitely something I'm gonna do in the future. However right now I kinda like exploring the different strains, my personal favorite I've grown was Vanilla Kush from same seed brand as Pineapple Chunk hence why I decided to give it a try. Once I've actually pinned down the type I like I'm definitely gonna plant more of that said strain. I originally had 3 plants in the tent, an autoflower aswell but it's harvested.

Appreciate the advice

6. The first two pics shows you have something going on that shouldnt, the first is heat I would say, it looks to warm for them. As for the second idk without ruling things out, what is the ph of your feed.

Hmm, well I do have the light quite close to the buds... Might be on to something. I keep the light about 5-7cm above the tops? With air breeze blowing at it trying to move the warm air away.

I don't have anything to measure the ph value of my feed although the water I use is between 6-6.5ph, which should be alright? Im not sure about the biobloom what type of ph it has. The nutes i used for vegging use a "ph perfect technology" or atleast so they market it.
    I try to feed mainly water and then include some nutes maybe once a week, 2-3ml is what I usually mix with 1L of water (approximately, i measure using a spoon, lol.)

8. If your water is at 6.5 thats cool but when you add nutes the ph will drop and thats probably your problem, if your ph isnt right your plants wont get the nuterients it needs.
    When you add nutrients to water you may find you need to up the ph back to 6.5, get a ph meter to be sure and it will only help.

9. What's happening on the roots is happening to the shoots, whats working for one strain wont necessirly work for the others.... At least that's what Iv found. Ph everything ... Water going in , run of , flush and adjust as needed, after flush I like to add a small dose of super thrive with 1/4 strength nutes , increase as needed, epsom salt folia spray helps to keep things healthy