First Micro Grow, help me out!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by weedwasted, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Sup GC, just finished drying my first harvest (pathetic yield due to a mistake with Neem Oil and sun light....). Still a great experience, now I'm hooked. I want to start an indoor micro grow for the coming winter months and I've got some questions. I'm thinking of doing it in a cabinet in my room that's 23.5 inches deep, 29 inches wide, and 22.5 inches tall. Pics of the space coming up. My question is, would buying a stealth grow box (The Lowryder Hydroponic Grow Box , Carbon Filter and lock - Detailed item view - Lowryder Grow | Hydroponic Box) be easier and bring in a bigger yield than attempting to rig up my own grow? I'm also worried about feds kicking in the door, what are the odds of that from the small space I have mentioned? Feed back MUCH appreciated! Peace :wave:

2. Pics of space!

Attached Files:

3. Depending on your lights, I wouldn't worry about power spikes if your using cfl's.....

I'm doing a similar thing, building a grow box for the winter. I made mine 4 ft tall to accommodate DWC and lights. This is important when building a micro grow, thing of what kind of space u have to work with after your medium (hyrdo or soil) and lights are installed.

I didn't have to worry about making it super stealth though as I'm in a mmj state, do you have nosy neighbors/friends/roommates? The power bill wouldn't raise suspicion, it would be like buying a new lamp or two and circular fan.

Sounds like that cabinet is big enough to grow, but im not sure if the yield is what your looking for or not.

4. Use the cab you have, and save the $$

5. Yield isn't a problem, I'm just trying to grow no matter how much I get at the end of the day. What kind/how many lights should I look into? I know CFL's are the way to go, but what about those long cylinder "Grow Tubes" they sell at Wal-Mart?

6. Sounds like general belief with cfls is to get several 27 wt bulbs, and place where needed. I'd say start out with 4 and move up to like 8? You want the bulbs like 6-8" away from plant, and movable!? I'm sure the grow tubes from wal mart are fine, but as your growing in a tight area, it's probably better to have a bunch of smaller lights to spread light out more evenly.

I'm no pro, but I'm working on similar situation and have been doing a ton of research, correct me if I'm wrong.

7. [quote name='"303kushman"']Sounds like general belief with cfls is to get several 27 wt bulbs, and place where needed. I'd say start out with 4 and move up to like 8? You want the bulbs like 6-8" away from plant, and movable!? I'm sure the grow tubes from wal mart are fine, but as your growing in a tight area, it's probably better to have a bunch of smaller lights to spread light out more evenly.

I'm no pro, but I'm working on similar situation and have been doing a ton of research, correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote]

You can use up to 4 23 watt (equivalent to 400 watts)CFLs on one plant. Youll get a tight packed bushy plant. Always keep your lights 2-3 inches above the plant.

8. Just use the cab you have and save the cash for proper ventilation - the dimensions should allow you to scrog a plant or two nice and low.

You should be able to get around 100 or more actual CFL watts in there providing you have decent ventilation. In fact with micro grows heat is the biggest problem you have.