First indoor

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by pgrooverules, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Hey, so this is my first time indoors.... I have done plenty of outdoors and never had any problems, it was always fun and worked out well.
    I made an investment, bought a 400 watt hps/mH combo with a NOT integrated ballast. I ran 2 100 watt CFL for the first few weeks to let the babies get a little bigger and about 2 days ago i click on the big boy, but dimmed to 50%. The room is HOT!
    I want to point out that i have an inline, running as exhaust atm, and 2 circulating fans, but i am still peaking mid day around 88-92 degrees. I dont know what i can do other than air condition it, but that gets MAD expensive...

Anyone have any pointers on the heat?
    Pics
    Also i notice the light leaks, i have a big piece of mylar that wasnt up when i took the photos, but it is on the walls inside and it is pitch black in there when the lights are off. Also things look messy, but ill post picture once i get everything looking nice, which will be after i get this temp down. Temp down, aesthetics up :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading, my babies are sweating im going to continue my googling :)

2. Dont see an exhaust fan in any of the pics. To help with heat you can keep the door open and point a fan at the closet. In any type of enclosed grow like that I would have gone with an air cooled light hood. You want to vent the hot air out up high and pull cooler air in down low.

3. I would suggest a cool tube or an air cooled hood. I run a 600W (dimmable) HPS w an air cooled hood in a closet that's 4.5x2x7. I have a 440 cfm exhaust fan cooling the light and hooked up to an XL carbon filter. Running at 100% (600W) my temps are only 4-5 degrees above ambient temperature. Right now it's 77 in there. Try running your light at night instead of during the day, that will bring your temps down a lot. Also, can you put your ballast outside the room? That will bring it down a few degrees too. HTH

4. From my experience, setting your light cycle to nighttime in the daytime keeps whatever heat generated from adding to the ambient temps of your house as badly and minimizes additional air conditioning. Mine pop around dusk and then go off around dawn; my walk-in closet stays below 80 throughout. I keep one tower fan going 24/7 and the others cycle on with the lights. 12/12 from seed keeps mine from getting too tall for my CFLs to adequately cover.

5. Well I want to save this light and ballast, Is there a way i can put the socket i currently have into a "cool Tube" or whatever they are called XD ?
    When it was running today, at 7 am when it clicks on, i woke up and switch my exhaust to intake to pull the cool morning air in from outside and i was idle at about 86 before the noon sun can then it was back tot he normal, so i will probably leave it as an intake and hope that it doesnt get to hot in there :-/

Now my question is, Will the reflector in the link below help my issue?
    (it says it supporst upto 1000w systems so i think my lil 400 watt is fine in it)
    Cooltube

The fan i have is only 70 cfm :-( which i think is contributing to this issue, i will keep it and set it aside for the possible CO2 in the futures of my indoor extravaganzas, But in the mean time i might purchase This blower. Unless someone has a better one they could suggest, but the price has to be right :-/

I plan on ordering this stuff tonight or tomorrow, so if anyone has a pointer or maybe a suggestion on a different product, feel free to beat me over the head with it, cause its hot in there and i cant believe i thought the majority of the heat came from the ballast...

Face palm,
    Pgrover :D

PS, here is a picture i just took of my inline fan, since no one could see it.
    :hello:
    [​IMG]

6. How many sqaure feet is your grow space? The Cooltube will work nice as for the fan 440cfm might kinda be over kill if your grow space is kinda small. I got a 6X6X7 grow room and I have to dial down my fan that is 450cfm. Now if I were to throw a carbon scrubber in there it would work fine. Pulling cool air in from outside in the morning is fine but once the outside air starts warming up your pulling in warm air at that point. The better way to do is is pull cooler air in from inside your home and vent the hot air outside.

7. YOur discovering why Closet grows can suck. Just like Attics, sheds, and garages.

When you have your lights on alot of that heat is being soaked into the walls. If it was in a open room in a tent theres alot more air to do air exchange.

Your inline fan is totally inadequate if its just sucking 70CFM. You need a more powerfull inline fan. Cooling is simple you have to pull out more heat then whats being generated. Easy equation. You also need a intake area unless the door being ajar is ok.

8. Yeah, but it isnt the only choice I have. I have a tent, 4x4x6.5, but i have no where to put it, My basement is WAYYYYY to humid and it wont fit in my closet, 3.5x4x7.

So to who was talking about my inline fan, i didnt buy it yet, but i bought the tube about 5 min ago should be here Monday, in the mean time im just leaving the door open and idling around 79-82 which is perfect :)

So the room is about like 120cubic feet or something like that id 200 cfm alright?
    Heres a few that are in my price range, and will fit my hood and the air scrubber i plan on getting in a few weeks.
    this one is my main choice right now
    this is the next but it have plastic blades...
    this one doesnt have its cfm listed :-/
    or this one with the scrubber for the deal

9. You will like a inline fan alot more then your booster fan which is really not for what your using it for.

Dehumidifers work well but they can be pricey.

10. I look into that actually, but the problem im having is that my basement gets water in it when ever it rains...
    I was told that quicky dry would help but last bi storm i have about 3 inches in the safest area to put the tent... :(

So do you think this Fan is ideal? If i order it in the next couple of hours i can get it in 2 days.

11. The info given by sellers on booster fans can be misleading. The only way your gonna get the max CFM is when it is being supllemented by a more powerfull high velocity fan pushing or pulling air through the duct work. The farther the air flows through the duct work the more CFM its gonna lose so to make up for that lost CFM you install a booster fan and thats when your booster fan will produce its max CFM rating. By itself booster fans dont produce alot of CFM. In some set ups they work good for pulling cooler air into a light hood when the duct work is running a short distance or tyed into the duct work for a high velocity fan.

12. No thats a booster fan you need a inline fan. It produces more suction. That fan is used say like to connect two pieces of ducting in a house to keep the airflow up.

13. OHHH ok, so inline boosters are like furnace exust fans, that help the already moving air along, but the inline blowers are to get it moving on their own i see.

Thanks for helping my out everyone, lets try again, is this a good choice?
    Or should i go big or go home and go with this

Edit:
    Saw this one which has free next day shipping myeahhh

14. #14 tplat, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012

You only need around 200 CFM fan and filter combo so any of them would work. If the cooltube you ordered has a 6" air cooled opening then i would go with a 6" fan and filter combo. Saves having to buy a 6" to 4" reducer. I would probably go with the last one with the filter option added on.