First Indoor Grow - White Widow and Nirvana Indoor Mix

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by CheckPlease, May 27, 2011.

1. Just got my seeds from Nirvana yesterday. 10 pack of regular indoor seeds, and 5 feminized white widows.

Kind of came up with a design I liked from scavenging all over the forums.
    Two exhaust PC fans at the top of the box, one intake PC fan below.
    Used PVC pipe to make a frame to hold the CFL lights. Zip tied them to the frame securely. You can still rotate the lights to adjust their location a little bit, which I like. The chains make adjusting the height of the lights easy too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Those actually aren't pot plants. Those are just some seedlings I'm testing the heat threshold of the box on. Cantaloupe and watermelon I think. Maybe a cucumber? Not important. Anyway, Im currently germing the seeds from nirvana, been a whole 24 hours already, so I guess Ill plant tomorrow night.

Also, since those pictures were taken I have put an aluminum roasting pan over the top to act as a reflector. Also, I have a 2 liter bottle with sugar and yiest (sp?) to act as a carbon producer. I have the pc fans wired to run at the same time as the lights, so overnight the box will hopefully be soaked in carbon.

2. Looking good. The white widow is a good plant for box grows they stay nice and short

3. Well, after about 36 hours of paper towel time, my seeds have germinated. Interesting, in both the indoor mix and the white widow, there were 20 percent non germinating. I put all of them in soil anyway. Ive heard of it taking a little bit longer for some seeds to crack so maybe they are just late bloomers.

I have the seeds in two cups, see the pictures below. I saw on here a guy was doing this and I thought it was a great idea. The clear plastic cups allow you to see the root mass, while the orange solo cups protect the roots from light. White Widow on the right, indoor mix on the left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres a shot of what the box looks like with the CO2 producing bottle, and with the roasting pan/reflector.

[​IMG]

This next shot shows the PC fans wired up on the left side of the box.

[​IMG]

How long does it normally take for the seedlings to break through to the surface?
    Also, I realize I potentially will have 15 plants going at once, more likely going to be 10-12. In all likely hood, 4 will be male, so probably 7 female plants at the end of this. Is this box going to be big enough to flower 7 plants if I veg them at all?

4. Pretty happy with these seeds! They have already broken through the surface, about half are sprouted. 4 white widows broke the surface, I dont expect the last one two, because one of the seeds hadnt cracked when it was planted, but who knows?

5. #5 420patient, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    I like the idea of the clear cups inside the light proof ones i like to peak at the roots now and again...:D Your gonna have a space prop for sure with 7 plants in flower cause your gonna want a hell of alot more lights and you'll def need more space for them to grow. You could prob do 2 in that cab.

6. I have two 150 watt HPS lights in the mail from HGT supply. I realize that 150 is kind of low for HPS, but it was only 65 bucks a piece. Im thinking I'll get another two of those cabinets and put one in each one. I wanted to stick with CFLs for this grow, but they really are messy. The look isnt as clean as Id like it to be.

So far 10 of the 15 seeds have now sprouted, two of them are showing their first true leaves.

7. So few days into things, and some sprouts are doing better than others. The indoor mix batch is doing really well, but the white widow crop is looking slim. Im not too worried, Im planning on using all of them for cloning anyway, so I can start to stagger my harvests. With any luck, I can pull a couple ounces a week. I smoke about a half ounce a week, so that means there will be plenty extra to go around :)
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8. Oh, also, UPS will be delivering my 150 watt HPS lights. I have two of them... What would be better for vegging these puppies? The 240 watts of CFL I have or the 300 watts of HPS Im getting?

9. So, of the 14 that broke ground after planting, 6 of them have died. I dont really know why... they are under the exact same conditions that the remaining 8 are.

Worried about losing so many white widows though, I think I only have two left, I was hoping I could keep one mother plant, and flower more than one... but what ever. Pretty excited that if half the indoor plants go male, then Ill still have at least 4 different strains.

I was just wondering something: I know that plants that go hermie can fertilize themselves, but will those seeds end up being "hermafrodized" since it will essentially just be a clone of the mother?