First hydro grow experiment. Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by kindbuduser, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Your wasting most of your light gray! get down to your local hydro shop and get yourself some mylar to contain the light its cheap and will keep the light focused on your plants and conceal your grow. your place is also very dirty no ofence most lofts are lol so its a good idea to give your plants a nice clear area. a carbon filter intake and outtake will be good as the filter on the intake will remove dust and the outtake filter will remove any odurs which you will need later on.

Your light is far to far away from the plants its making them stretch bring your light 2 or 3 inches from the top of the plant and if you want a good CFL system for your full grow you can pick up a maxibright CFL PRO Reflector and maxibright 250W CFL lamp for under £90 and i dont care what anyone says they do work very well. usualy getting a bad write up as people buy cheep household CFLs and expect good results.

You can start using nutes now a good place to start is with formulex and a little nitrozyme these work great for seedlings canna also have starting nutes.

like another user has posted a good place to start is after your 3rd set of true leaves. canna, ionic and plant magic are all good ranges of nutes.

What are you growing man?

2. I was two bussy admirig your plants to notice at first but id get rid of the alu-foil and replace with flat white or mylar if your ever going to use something more primative. ive never had this problem but ive heard about it a few times. aluminum foil is not flat its full of little ripples and creases which can concentrate light like little lasers burning holes in your plant. also mylar is a little more reflective. its not going to be a problem with soft LED lighting but if you use something like a HPS or MH you may get some laser burn.

3. I wouldn't recommend having all of those plants in one tub. The roots will strangle each other. I have used tubs like that to to pick my best of clones. Otherwise, one plant per tub.

4. i see you have seeds inside a bag with light getting to the seeds gray. put them in a warm dark place.

5. SHIT!!!!! I was tying two of the stems down and they cracked at the base!!!!!!! Am I screwed???????

The foil is GONE.

Crap I'm pissed I hope I didn't kill my plant :(

6. Ok cool thanks for all the advise! Yea skunk it's a little dirty in there it's under my steps kind of a storage place in my house lol. I bought a book today that I been reading on and I see a lot of changes I need to make...

7. what do you wean by cracked if it was i popping noise or you have damaged some of the stem but its still attached your fine if it can hold its self in the position you want it without any help just put it in the position and dont touch it for a couple of days or if it wont stay in the position you want it or you have broke it off then use tape to stick it in place (im being seriouse) if you did brake it of totaly its about 70% chance its going to knit back on to the plant but dont worry your plant wont die and dont be put of if the branches are harder just give it a gentle squeeze to make it more bendy. scar tissue is hard so strengthens the branch and your plant will put energy into healing the branch so it will thicken and grow faster.

your plant will be fine man :)

8. haha man you have big steps :L. ive spent lots of time at work with not much to do so i sometimes sit reading the books and a good author to look at is jorge cervantes he also has a few dvds out. Grow like a pro is also a good read but half the book is more about production in asia and the caribian. i know many people say but info is free on the internet its just not the same. anyone can post a pile of seo rich crap about growing stick some adds in there and they have a little income :L fact is if its a book its usualy made by someone with years of first hand expierience.

if you live in the uk you can pick up soft secrets at any good hydro or head shop its usualy got some good growing tips and there is also lots of naked ladies with some well grown ladies lol. if you cant get one pm me il send you a copy :smoke:

9. Thanks for the encouragement that just scared the crap out of me. Here is a pic of the worst of the two. Look to the lower right you can see it. Should I just leave it like this?

9 - Copy.jpg

10. its in a bit of an awkward place try tying it to a branch higher up to get more of the damaged tissue touching. when you bend a branch do it a little further out if its a small bend between half way and and the first node if its a bigger bend you want to make pull down in the middle of the first and second node on the plant.but it isnt so bad if it don't take within 3-5 days and it starts to rot or get a black slime on the broken branch cut it off, cut any rotten stem to where its still healthy soak in watter for a couple of hours and use as a cutting. the bottom branches make awesome cuttings as they tend to root easier. but i dont think it will come to that as its a easy fix

11. #51 kindbuduser, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011

Thanks bro mucho appreciated. I went a head and zip tied that branch up so hopefully in a few days it will heal. Then I will tie it down by the mid/upper after it heals. Such a learning curve I'll tell you. Been working on this thing all day. Had the back bucket getting clogged by the roots and it kept overflowing. Got it under control now. That first plant is just not growing. I tried tying down a couple of places to get more light in I hope it helps. I also checked the roots on it and they are fine so not sure why it's not picking up.

The good thing is the roots look awesome on all three plants. I will admit this system I am using is not very good. Bad design. I'm picking up a few of these for the next grow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6POD-HYDROP...=160698484902&ps=63&clkid=4993774926550635558

12. thats a plan man get lots of light to the little branches its little things like this that maximise your yield.

i dont grow any more as im two well known to police for growing and they pick on shop owners like me and raid us all the time so i have to behave lol but i only ever grew in soil and air pots ive never got my head around the whole hydro thing so i dont have a clue if that is good or bad lol.

If a plant is looking well but not growing keep an eye on your temps a 10 digree c change will slow plant growth right down.

what are your temps like? LED runs cool so it may be a tad chilly for them.

13. Actually running pretty good. I'm doing around 69 to 70 so maybe 72 at the most at the plants. Dude these things are really happy today after opening up some light to them but they are really going nuts. Taking off like a madman! (except for that first one).

14. [quote name='"skunkrevolution"']

Your wasting most of your light gray! get down to your local hydro shop and get yourself some mylar to contain the light its cheap and will keep the light focused on your plants and conceal your grow. your place is also very dirty no ofence most lofts are lol so its a good idea to give your plants a nice clear area. a carbon filter intake and outtake will be good as the filter on the intake will remove dust and the outtake filter will remove any odurs which you will need later on.

Your light is far to far away from the plants its making them stretch bring your light 2 or 3 inches from the top of the plant and if you want a good CFL system for your full grow you can pick up a maxibright CFL PRO Reflector and maxibright 250W CFL lamp for under £90 and i dont care what anyone says they do work very well. usualy getting a bad write up as people buy cheep household CFLs and expect good results.

You can start using nutes now a good place to start is with formulex and a little nitrozyme these work great for seedlings canna also have starting nutes.

like another user has posted a good place to start is after your 3rd set of true leaves. canna, ionic and plant magic are all good ranges of nutes.

What are you growing man?[/quote]

Would it be wise to use Plant Magic Bloom boost Boost with hydro Dutch Pro A &B, Dutch Pro Explode as I understand the Explode needs a PK13/14 which it is. Also using P.Magic Bloom and Root Stimulation and there exploding would appreciate any advice please m8

ForumRunner_20111221_104648.png

ForumRunner_20111221_104842.png

ForumRunner_20111221_104940.png

15. Personaly i would try to stick to the one range of nutes just for the benefits of being able to keep it simple ratio wise and make sure the plant is getting a balanced nute diet. if i were to try it i would test it in one plant with soil but as your a hydro grower the best thing to do would be to keep using your duch pro nutes and introduce the bloom boost slowly. i beleve full strength is 5ml per ltr so start with 2.5ml per 2lts after 5 days if the plant has no seriouse bad effects double to 2.5ml per ltr after 5 days give it 75% 7.5ml per 2 ltr then after 5 days full strength. Usualy i would double up each time i feed the nutes till its full strength but going 1/4 at a time will give you a good warning if the nutes just dont go and you dont want to risk killing all your plants over a couple of days.

let us know how it works out for you :smoke:

16. Is that a dr120 ? what light and hood are you running?

17. Not to sure m8 I thought it was a budbox its a 1m and I'm running a 6Hps having trouble with heat probs with it. Its terrible up in 90- 100's when zips. are shut. but open fully its 85' I should fone the shop back as I was supposed to have the 1.2 m tent but because ov the limited space I ham to have this 1. On top of that my Wilma system is leaking as they the shop said they'll be sending a New1( connects the pump to the feeding tubes the long stick like thing lol).
    I have tried the bloom boost with p.Magic root Stimulation and more recently with p.Magicflower(green bottle soz).Local hydro guy said he'd sell me the complete P.Magic range cheap there was over12 bottles and 4tubs sounds cool but have chosen to go hydro as I also have a DWCbucket which I'm itching to get going lol, Hey didn't mention that I have stressed 4plants right out by translating from soil to hydro but after 2weeks over them working on there root system there now flourishing really nice thanx for yo:smoke:ur reply.

18. It may be your using a fan thats to small. lots of people forget that the filter slows down the air pull by about 20% best thing to do would be to get a 5 inch 125a fan and secure it to the top of the tent as heat rises and put the intake ducting to the bottom of the tent so the plants get a good strem of cool air. Also a parabolic hood would do wonders to disperse heat i think a midium size would be the best option for you. If you want to tret yourself get a cool tube lamp that will stop a heat build up to.

Id never recomend hydro to anyone as it can easaly turn bad lol. leaks, nute deficiancies, easy to spread disese and its hard to move plants so if you had to move them fast your screwed. air-pots work great and from expierience give almost the same results as hydro. But if you want to grow with hydro i wish you all the best :)

keep an eye when flowering just incase you have caused any hermis by stressing but i think stressing from time to time will do more good that harm.

19. UPDATE. I am at day 3 of 12/12. The plants are starting to look different please take a look and tell me what you think. PPM is at 950 and PH is at 6.0. I hope they are ok.

Also, my first plant would just not grow at all so I removed it and put it to rest.

10 - Copy.jpg

11 - Copy.jpg

12 - Copy.jpg

13 - Copy.jpg

14 - Copy.jpg

15 - Copy.jpg

16 - Copy.jpg