First hydro grow experiment. Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by kindbuduser, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Awesome bro thanks! I CANT WAIT for my Blackstar to get here! :cool:

2. Its not that they are male you got fem seeds if i remember correctly so ok there is a small chance one is male but for two to be male it a very long shot lol.

Id imagine its just its pheno type as they are inline recieving the same nutes lights etc so there is not much else it could be but the plant looks very helthy which is the main thing.

For your first grow you are doing very well :D

3. My Blackstar is waiting for me when I get home :)

Now the FUN BEGINS!!!!!!!!!! :hello::hello::hello::hello:

4. Yes I couldn't wait. Did a temp setup with the Blackstar tonight. :)

Some minor adjustments to the middle plant that thing is exploding. Had to expose the smaller leafs. I'm scared now! That LED is sick bright. Damn thing requires sunglasses when in the room! :hello:

2011-12-16 01.40.21.jpg

2011-12-16 01.42.20.jpg

2011-12-16 01.42.54.jpg

2011-12-16 01.43.11.jpg

2011-12-16 01.43.20.jpg

2011-12-16 01.43.59.jpg

Attached Files:

5. They look great man.. keep up the good work. I prefer to keep my PH a little lower than what you have yours at, but it seems to be working for you.. Kudos

6. So now at almost 6 weeks should I switch to 12/12? I'm being told that the plants will still grow much more even at 12/12, or should I veg for a while longer? I've been going 24/7 with the light on since day one.......

7. It depends on how big you want the plants to get. A good rule of thumb is that they will triple in size. So if you are ok with them only getting three times the size that they are now, then you can make the flip. I usually make the flip once they hit about 14" tall. That way they will get to be about four foot tall.

8. #28 kindbuduser, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011

Excellent. So then it would be "safe" to 24/7 a week or two more then 12/12? Then I'm looking at how many weeks for flower 6?

Thanks for the info!

**Also just measured, except for the first smaller plant they are at 10" now.

9. #29 fyrhazzrd, Dec 17, 2011
    The weeks of flower all depend on the strain and phenotype of the plant. All of them are different. If you don't know the strain then you will need to go by what the buds look like.

Most strains go from 8-12 weeks of flower.

Edit: I just noticed that you said Blue Mystic.. According to the Attitude, they flower from 7-9 weeks. So you will still need to keep a close eye on the buds starting at week 7.

Also I'm not sure how big your growing area is, but keep in mind that they will bush out just as much as they grow tall. My last three grows had plants that were almost four foot tall, and the plants themselves were 3.5 foot in diameter. I had two plants in one 4x4 tent, it was a mess. The plants were growing into each other.

10. #30 kindbuduser, Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I have a feeling that will happen to me as well. Not a whole lot of growing space FOR NOW. :)
    I've got the 3 plants in a 3X5ft area so it's definitely going to be crowded if everything goes as it should. I've got both blackstars on them now 2X500W (about 680W draw) so hopefully they will get a nice boost over the FL. The FL lights were only 40W ea and there were four of them so 160W. I can DEFINITELY tell the difference!

11. How long do you leave the light on after the seeds start sprouting? Mine just started I heard to leave it on 24/7 for the first month?? Plus am I suppose to change the water at all

12. I personally have been running light 24/7 since day one and I'm at the end of week six. I plan to continue this pattern until flower. If anyone reading this has an opinion I would be glad to take constructive criticism. :)

For the first five weeks, we changed water once a week. This cycle will go 2 weeks however and I am bumping the PPM to 1350 nightly. I might actually go further for a few nights want to get these pups taller before flower time. Here are the latest pics. Blackstars installed and rocking Pink Floyd style.

1 - Copy.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

3 - Copy.jpg

4 - Copy.jpg

5 - Copy.jpg

6 - Copy.jpg

7 - Copy.jpg

8 - Copy.jpg

13. Thanks for the reply bro, I'll post pics of mine when I can figure out how to on my iPad...

14. after 1 week, does it look good? am i on the right path.... sorry first time grower

Attached Files:

15. Personally I would spread those buckets out but you have one growing so keep it up and see what happens :)

16. One last question man.. When do I start adding fertilizer? And what kind, thanks for ur help

17. [quote name='"Gray692008"']How long do you leave the light on after the seeds start sprouting? Mine just started I heard to leave it on 24/7 for the first month?? Plus am I suppose to change the water at all[/quote]

I start off 24/0 then by week 2, they are to 18/6. Everyone does it different. No one is really wrong.

18. [quote name='"Gray692008"']One last question man.. When do I start adding fertilizer? And what kind, thanks for ur help[/quote]

When they have three sets of true leaves start 1/4 st nutes

19. Thanks for replying, I've been extremely wrapped up today :)

20. You have lots of big fan leaves id cut a few off to let more light inside the plant. cutting 3 or 4 fan leaves will slow plant growth for a day or two but its going to get lotts of light to the branches so within a few days you will get a big boost in growth. also its a good time to start LST using a strong wire bent in a u shape to hold branches down coat hanger wire works great. but you can use string anchored to something in your grow room. once you get some big branches recieving lots of light try a little supercropping. do this over a week - 10 days then start to flower or the plants will outgrow your grow room lol. once you get a week into flowering pick out all the new shoots as they will only produce small fluffy buds and taking them out puts the energy into producing big colas.