First Homemade Wooden Pipe

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by deadlydoom, Aug 26, 2012.

1. First ever, took me about a half hour, also first time really working with wood. Will explain how if anyone asks. Yes it kinda sucks, but give me a break! Haven't tried it out yet, just might as we speak :smoke:
    IMG_0437.JPG

Also first post on GC! yay!

2. Torch the rest of the wood, it hardens it and make it looks more badass.

And if you haven't, mix ash + honey and coat the bowl. It makes a safe, fire-resistant coating.

3. I don't have a torch, so I plan on soaking it in some mineral oil, it's supposed to turn a dark color which would be cool. and for the honey part, do I premix them or do I mix inside the bowl?

4. You could just use a lighter. It'd take longer, but it'd work. You can mix it inside the bowl or premix it, it doesn't really matter. Don't be skimpy on the ashes though.

5. That's badass, I've always wanted to make a wooden piece but I'm not much of a craftsman. Maybe some varnish would make it look even nicer? Perhaps not around the bowl though.

6. I just did the mineral oil thing, and the honey worked without the ashes! I'll post another picture later after I'm done. It hits sooo smoothly!

7. I just soaked it in mineral oil for like 10 minutes and let it dry and it looks like a light golden finishing on it.

8. Nice job man! I wish i'd had this idea as a kid so i wasn't blazing out of plastic and foil.
    I'm curious as to hpw you made it exactly. Did you use a drill or what?

9. Haha it's nice, and well first I drilled the stem, then measured out how long the drill bit went into the wood, and placed the bowl so the drill path was under it. Luckily I had a drill bit about a half inch around and very short, which made a perfect bowl. I didn't drill straight into the stem though, I left a little wood in between. Then I used a very, very small drill bit and drilled holes into the stem. That makes it very basic and boring, so I used a Dremel to widen the bowl and shape it out some more. It was my first time using any of this, so that's why it isn't very appealing, but I'm making another one that's pretty cool. Also for finishing, I used mineral oil, I'll upload pictures of it now all finished tomorrow!