First homemade pipe

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Zhanack_Zero, Dec 13, 2009.

1. #1 Zhanack_Zero, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
    Working on a new project, my first homemade pipe. I found an old wooden kazoo and decided to modify it. [​IMG]

I took at the aluminum mesh, wax paper and rubber ring that were all inside. I than needed to make the already existing hole bigger, so I took a .75" diameter drill and drilled that out easily. [​IMG]

I tried smoking some herbs out of it last night and I realized that the draft hole was too big, allowing the herbs to slip through. I cut a round piece of aluminum mesh and stuck it inside the hole, preventing the herbs from sucking through. It worked out well. I than soaked it in water and took a flame to it to give it an old worn down look.

I have this inch of copper piping that fits perfectly into the hole I drilled earlier, thinking of cutting it down in half and using it as the herb chamber/bowl.

2. Im not 100% man but im pretty sure you dont wanna be smoking copper :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it gives off some sort of fume when its heated

3. #3 Zhanack_Zero, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
    Edit: Yeah, it's not good. I need to find some safe material for this part.

4. Brass is pretty safe aslong as it is clean of oxidation. Copper on the other hand gives off very toxic fumes so your gonna wanna pass on that.

5. Okay, well, I might have to make a new pipe all together. The aluminum mesh was good for a one time thing, but I know I can't be smoking out of something like that all the time, it has bad long term affects. Since I can't use aluminum mesh and the draft hole is to big, I think this is worthless now. Any ideas?

6. You might be able to find a bowl piece to fit that at a headshop? But at that point your probably better off just buying a cheap little glass spoon or metal pipe.

7. Better idea. The hole is deep enough that I don't need a chamber/bowl and if so, I can just make on out of wood. Also, the bottom of the kazoo slides off, so I opened it and cut some match sticks. If I place them a small distance apart and glue them down, I can create a catcher that will prevent the herbs from being sucked through. [​IMG][/IMG]

8. Have to admit that is pretty crafty. Looks like you finally figured it out.