First Grow!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WarInTheHead, May 22, 2010.

1. After hours and hours of reading on these forums, I decided that I though I had enough knowledge to build my own grow box and make this shit work! I'll explain my set up, and add some pics (if this camera will charge) and ask a few questions. I REALLY appreciate any input you can give me. I'm patient enough to do this the RIGHT WAY THE FIRST TIME. I understand I can learn from your guys' mistakes! Thanks in advanced!

Anyway, the box is about 4ft tall, 2 feet wide, and 1.5 feet deep, just a guesstimate, but I figure it's small enough if I keep the plant small, and use the Low Stress Technique. The inside is painted flat white, for I could not find anywhere that has mylar...an upgrade I will do later. I bought a 75 watt HPS light. It was the ONLY HPS light I could find at Lowe's and Home Depot. I also wired up a cheap ass (probably like 75-100 watt) tube fluorescent light I already had. I got an in-line duct fan and put it in the top. Put a piece of carbon filter on top that, then put a small POS fan on top that, and tried to duct tape that, so this little fan helps a little. I put caulk around the fan and in all corners of the box to make sure it is light tight. I have 1 or 2 leaks (where the wires come out, and small part around the door) but they are REALLY small, though I know complete darkness is important, so I'll be fixing that soon.

Enough words, pictures should explain the rest.

Anyway, I think I used the wrong soil (probably outside soil), but I still need to transplant it into the bigger container soon (I think). I keep seeing what I'm pretty sure to be little white spider mites. I'm going to try to find some Neem oil at Lowe's tomorrow, for that. I've been watching my plant really close, and to me, it could still be a male or a female. I thought I read that color on the stem meant it was a male. But I'm not sure...? Anyway, the tips of some of the leaves are discolored/cripsy looking? Check out the pics.

How much neem oil should I mix with how much water? Can I keep watering it with neem oil to keep the spider mites away?

ANY TIPS!, please don't hesitate to give me any tips at all. I'll appreciate any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the pics, the tips of the leaves are discolored. The 2nd part of the stem is colored red. There's little sticks sticking out between stems of leaves. Yep, that's pretty much it, :hello: