First grow with Nirvana auto white widow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Chet Manly, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Hello fellow growers, this is my first attempt at growing and my very first post to this forum. I want say in advance, thanks to everyone for the advise and experience.
    I believe I'm doing a decent job, but I do have a few questions. To begin, I have already searched other forums and the internet for what I'm looking for. I did find very good information, but I now would like some feedback from experienced growers.
    I am growing Nirvana's auto white widow. My setup is a 4xW, 2xL, 5xH grow tent. I have a 4" 300cfm carbon filiter attached to a 6" 315 cfm exhaust fan. My intake is a 170 cfm fan. I am using 2 galaxyhydro 300w led's. They are spaced 16" above the plants. Always PH'd the water to 6.5. Growing in 60/40 FFOF and perlite.
    Now to my question, can I get some feedback for my girls? I believe my girls are very healthy just short and bushy. They are on day 19 and I have seen other grows and they look completly different. Thanks again fellow growers!
    . 102_0001.JPG 102_0002.JPG 102_0003.JPG 102_0006.JPG 102_0005.JPG 102_0004.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Your plants are no larger than they are because of the size container you've got them growing in. A young seedling when placed into soil has to first build a root system. The larger the container and more soil you start the plant off in, the longer it takes the plant to develop a root system and get established. During this period of time, they won't grow much and don't use any water to speak of, so you just have to leave them alone. Only when you see new growth picking up and the plant starts to actually use water, is the plant rooted in and growing above soil level. No watering until your containers are at least 80% dry...should be able to lift it up and it feel like it did when you first loaded it with fresh dry soil These plants don't like their roots sitting around in moist conditions all the time, so the letting them dry out enough is big time important. Autos seem to be easily stressed and I've seen tons of posts where they didn't turn out as planned. I grow White Widow and have been pretty hot and heavy for several years now, buy not the auto strains. These things are just too much work to risk one of them going off the genetic "deep end" and starting to flower at 2 weeks of age. LOL Seems like you've got your stuff together and the plants look great. LEDs burn hot to young plants so be careful not to light burn them by getting them too close. You'll not need any notes for some time because you're using a formulated grow soil specifically designed for the plant and it does the majority of the feeding for you. Depending on how long it actually takes that strain to grow and finish out, you probably won't need much in the way of nutes at all. People use too much of the stuff. It's not the nutes that determines what your plants turn out like, it's the quality of the lighting you use. Don't overcrowd your lights. They don't cover as much sq. footage as the reflector hoods and HPS/HID fixtures, and it's super important that each plant get an optimum amount of light to develop to it's full potential. We use 1000 watt hps lamps for flower and I usually only do about 4 plants per light...4 to room. I stagger our grow now because tending rooms of plants is a TON of work. LOL The more you grow, the better you get at it and the more it all makes sense...then you get the "creep" and want to buy one of everything for awhile. LOL But you most definitely should be able to produce some nice quality buds as long as you keep those autos in line. I would suggest going with some normal strain seeds next time. They're much more predictable and easy to grow and the buzz is terrific. Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 3
  3. @The Widow White, Thank you for posting so quickly! In reference to the container size, I'm a little confused by what you posted. Are the pots too big or too small? They are in 3 gal smartpots. There is new gowth every day so I feel the girls have already developed their root system. Could the small pots be causing the stunted height? In regards to the lights, I did have to play around to find the right height. I had cupping on one of the plants until I figured it out. LOL. In regards to the nutes, thank you! I was going to start giving them nutes tomorrow, so thank you for the heads up!! Thank you again for all the advise and thank you for the complement on how the girls look!

4. 3 gal is ok, your plants look fine for 3 weeks. Hard to compare to others pictures because each strain looks different. Your plants are not stunted. If you had planted them in smaller pots there would be nowhere to go but up and the tops would look bigger, but with less roots. sort of. You're fine. Me personally I like big pots (#10 airpots), but I would not go smaller than 3 gal for an auto unless you want to do some kind of sog. You may soon wish they were stunted. 5 ft is not much to work with. If they get too tall you'll need to bend them over. Good thing you have two lights.

5. aw man, I would suggest everybody just starting out goes auto. Maybe not auto white widow. Yeah that's just what we use to do is grow that white widow under big 1000w mh/hps. It is a lot of work come harvest day. I'd start with 16 and cull out the males and usually end up with 8 to 12 all in 3 gal plastic bags. Now just two autos under 2 led lights. And that's probably one more than I actually need.

6. I appreciate the advice lotek. I was worried for a moment. The bottom set of leaves still touch the ground. I am thinking about doing regular next grow. Any suggestions for a first time regular grow?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. 2 plants.. order feminised seeds for sure.. go indica or indica hybrid since they will make the best of your LED setup.

I go back and forth between autos and fem seeds. The nice thing is you can start to veg out your feminised seeds while the autos are flowering. After you harvest the autos, transplant your feminised seeds into the bigger pots and veg until your ready to flip into flower

8. no, stick with auto. I'll never go back. Auto was the future now it's the present. You might check out a UK site called autoflower network. Bottom leaves on the soil are not a problem no matter what they say. The myth is they will mold. The problem with some of these old photos like white widow that so many have grown and loved for decades is they don't always hold up as an auto. Spend some time on Herbies and read with a grain of salt all the description of autos. So many (and according to the seed bank produce 300g and only take 9 weeks hmmm.) If you want an easy indica auto which will stay short enough for your area check out Dutch Passion Automazar. It's a very stable auto. If you need some sativa it becomes more challenging due to height. I'm growing right now some Blue auto mazar which is about 25% sativa and about a perfect stone for me and more than enough yield to keep me perpetually stoned on 2 plants. A good photo is.....white widow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I like to challenge myself as I am very green when it comes to growing. You don't learn till you try. Anyway's I just wanted to give an update on my grow. The girls are now on day 20, I think all 3 have shown sex. I just gave them each half gallon of PH'd water, no nutes. Now should I go with nutes now or just wait? I picked up general hydroponics nutes. Any advice is welcome and thanks again for all the replies. 102_0070.JPG 102_0071.JPG pistol.JPG 51u8aUoKDvL.jpg 102_0040.JPG 102_0055.JPG 102_0068.JPG

10. Hey fellow growers, the girls are on day 22 now. I have started to notice during our inspections or whatever you call it, that the first set of leaves on the bottom are starting to get yellow tips. This is showing up on all 3. Is this normal for auto on week 3? I haven't added any nutes, just filterd water and only have watered them 3 times so far. If you guys have any advice for me, Im all ears. Not gonna lie, this is a very exciting and potentially rewarding experience. OH and sorry for the crappy photos, waiting on a new camera. Cheers! 102_0078.JPG 102_0075.JPG

11. Well the nutrients you got are meant for hydroponic growing not soil. Im sure you can still use those nutes but i dont know how effective they will be. Also your pictures arent loading for me. But for the time being no, you dont need to use any nutes just yet. Your soil still has plenty of nutes in it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for the input. I was told those nutes are good for hydro and soil. Have you had any experience with Fox farm nutes? Should I even use any nutes for my first grow?

13. Well today I was checking on the girls. I looked to the base of the stem and saw the first set of true leaves are brown and yellow tipped. Anybody have an idea what this could be? 1468459422659.jpg 1468459448082.jpg

14. my first set are long gone and the girls are still great, wouldnt worry unless that appears in other places

15. Yes i use ffof soil and the fox farms nutes. They have given me great results. And yes. I used ff nutes for my first grow. I dont start using them untill about week 4-5 veg (5 days for germination and sprouting)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Those are @ 5 weeks into flower. And for your second question dont worry about those 2 first bottom leaves. They always yellow and die then fall off. Only be worried if you see the regular fan leaves start yellowing and look like theyre dying. (Not green).

16. Sorry for the long absence, work is a pain. Thanks for the advice softasspoptart and justin10. So my girls are now on day 43. I believe they suffer from a potassium and magnesium deficiency. Any help would be great. I have been using nutes at 1/4 strength every other watering. I water about every 3 or 4 days depending on their needs.

17. I dont know why the pictures are rotated sideways.

18. Up the the nute ration. Next feed give it 3/4 strength then drop it to half strength every other watering like usual. Its getting big so need more nutes.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. I thought about upping the nutes. I'll give it a try for tomorrow's feeding. Any advice on getting more production out of them before harvest?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Grasscity Forum mobile app