First Grow - Widow/Haze/Jock

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by thxatx, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Hey all - just got my seeds germed and have a few plants sprouting up, so I thought now would be a good time to start a journal.

14 Seeds planted, all are at least an inch above ground now. They are an assortment of White Widow, Haze, and Jock Horror. Note I'm NOT planning to keep all of them, I just wanted to experiment out with a bunch of plants for my first grow and select the healthiest to move on to late vegging and end up flowering.

All are about 4 feet underneath my 400watt HPS, which I've currently got on an 18/6 schedule. Soil Both PH meter and PPM meter are on their way, along with some (mostly) advanced nutrients products.

I'll post some pics as soon as the kids are a bit larger, but hopefully you all could help a newbie out with a question or two :) :

-How long do you normally veg for? I've seen some people just say look for pre-flowering and then you're good to go to 12/12, but is there any rule of thumb for this?

-What's the MAX number of plants I can reasonably sustain under a 400watt HPS? I've got the room, I just need to know how many I need to thin down after they have been sexed.

-Is there any good rule of thumb for how much you water? Meaning, for soil, is there any good ratio (gallons of water per gallons of soil) to follow?

-When is a good time to start applying nutes?

2. Plants are growing fast, will post some pics after thanksgiving. Anybody have any ideas on some of the original questions I posted?

3. A few pictures of my plants. Some are 3 days from germ, some are 5 days. The 2nd pic is one of the 5 day olds.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      178.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      131.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Lookin good man! I just started my grow as well, i havent decided if im going to put it up on the forums yet but we'll set. Im using a flood table so i dont know a lot about soil but i read some good info http://hg420.com/showthread.php?t=17933. Its another great forum site, i read some good stuff on this forum too i just cant find it right now. But anyway good luck on your grow man!:wave:

5. Thanks man that link was informative. Started adding like 1/8th of the recommended nutes today, plants perked up like an hour afterward. Using Sensi Grow A/B until my other nutes arrive.

6. Cool keep us updated with the grow id like to see it

7. Some pics from grow day 4/6 (some are 4 days old, some are 6). Things seem to be coming along nicely :).

Next week (around day 7/9 for the grow) I'm going to transplant the 8 healthiest looking plants to 10'' pots and do away with the rest. I'll be taking a sample amongst the strains - I'd like at least two Jocks, two Haze, two WW + whatever else looks most healthy. I'm hoping that at least four turn out to be females, which would be great.

Attached Files:

8. Looking good...good luck with the rest of your grow

9. 14 plants, nice start!

I just did 1 13 plant grow with a 400, am down to 6 keepers

Veg them til they are about a foot or so, then flip to 12/12 and you'll know sex in about 10 - 14 days, if you veg longer it would be less time to tell, but you will run into a size issue with that many plants

You can do as many as 8 under a 400 but that's about it
    (if you keep them small, even then it's almost too many)

6 is better

Take a look at my current grow if you wanna see 6 under a 400 at the end of flowering

I got about 2-3 weeks on this round to go so they will not really grow to much more, just densing up now

don't kill any until after you sex them, feed them at about 2-3 weeks (or when the petoles turn yellow) 1/4 strength

water depends on your pots, pick up a full one and water when it feels light

enjoy!

10. Thanks for all the information, it really helps a newbie like me :). I'm shooting to have 5 or so be females, so I figured if I vegged 10 and started 12/12 with those I'd get around 5 to be females.

I'm curious, though, are there any downsides to transplanting into bigger pots too early? I was planning on taking 10 plants and putting them into 10'' pots next week, would there be any upside to waiting any longer (or downside to doing it too early)?

11. I usually plant 2x's what I am looking to flower also, but you end up with a BIG garden sooner than you might think!

:)

not really much of a downside to transplanting to bigger pots and roots will develop better

more importantly do you have a ph meter and good ventilation in your setup?

12. Ventilation is decent - could be better, but I've got a passive intake/exhaust setup.

Some more pics will follow after I transplant either Wednesday or Thursday.

13. OK so it's been a while since my last update. Here's the current scoop :

I had a ferret attack and my little girl dug up two of my plants days after I transplanted them (!!). Luckily I have backups growing strong and subbed them in. Still, was a very sad sight to see two little ones dead on the floor when I walked in to feed them :(.

The largest of the plants is going to be 3 weeks tomorrow (the rest are about 2.5 weeks), size is looking good. I'm feeding them about 16 ounces each every few days with 400ppm of some AN grow nutrients + voodoo juice. Seems to be going well so far.

Just a note, I've named them after the oddest of Cleetus' named children (Cleetus from the Simpsons).

Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

14. looking very nice man!

You mind letting me know where you purchased your seeds from? I am kind of iffy on where to buy mine, I dont know who to believe even looking at the seed section. i can't tell if someone is advertising or telling the truth, you feel me?

You mind posting pics of your setup as well? I want to get the insidesun 400w HPW, and Mh bulb. Best bang for the buck. Now I am looking into air exchange/ventilation systems as well as temperature control.

Do you have time explaining what you have? how its used? Easy? hard? I am a newbie but I feel like I know this stuff. First time grower and finished the germination period. I had 4 seeds total and only 2 broke the shell. The other two are still sitting in a cup(warm dark room). Do you know why it hasn't broke yet? anybody?

Information would be much appreciated! (actually would prefer ALOT) ;) thanks in advanced!

15. I got my seeds from a friend, but some other friends have had great luck with both Doc and Gypsy.

Setup is as simple as it gets, 400watt HPS, passive intake/exhaust (I have a vent issue I'm not sure how to solve given the space I'm growing in).

Setup is very easy. The only thing I could think about the seeds is that perhaps they are old? A friend of mine had an issue germing old seeds.

For germ I used the damp paper towel method and I got 100% germ rate. Hope this info helps :).

16. I've looked around a bit on the 18/6 schedule vs. 24/0 for vegging and have not seen any drastic downsides to going 24/0. So in hopes these guys go through veg a bit faster, I'm switching to 24/0 today :).

17. Today is day 17 for most of the plants (from the day they sprouted). I lowered the lights to about 24 inches above the canopy of the plants, and they've really liked that a bunch :). Previously I had them about four feet away from the light.

Attached Files:

18. I need a 600W HPS soon. Your plants look great dude!

19. Here's some updated pics right after watering (Day 20 for most of the plants). They are really seeming to pick up :).

Attached Files:

20. Hey all - I need some opinion on something I'm seeing on a few of the plants. Some of the top leaves are curling a slight bit and getting a tad yellow. Does anyone know what I could do (if anything) to help?

Note this is only on a few of the plants, some of the older ones show absolutely no signs of this at all.

Attached Files: