First Grow (White Widow)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by glish, Jun 15, 2012.

1. So, a buddy of mine had me come with him to a club so we could take some dabs, and while i'm coughing my heart out, I gazed over at the clone section. On the far right of this table sat this beautiful 18" white widow plant. Apparently it was planted on 2/13/12, but the 2 could have easily been a 4 (Smudged marker)
    Okay, anyways, I just wanted to get grasscity's advice on how I should improve my setup/strategy.

With being so far already in its cycle, I figured I'd keep her under 24/7 light for another week or so and then start flowering her.

Right now i'm using a 23w CFL I believe, about a foot and a half above the plant. I also have a small fan blowing on it gently.

Currently its sitting in some soil that "had a lot of ferts" in it, according to the man that grew it(worked at the club). When i flower it, should i transfer it too a bigger bucket with new soil? Or will the change of soil shock the plant at all? He also told me that I shouldn't even bother with any more ferts when i flower it, so I think i'll just stay organic with it and follow his advice.

Do you guys agree that I should wait about a weekish to flower if its already 18"?

Any other advice, opinions or comments are definitely appreciated! This is my first grow and i'd like to improve for the next one. If you've ever specifically grown white widow too, post a pic of your plants! I want see how this one compares.

Attached Files:

2. That is a pretty big plant, and it is going to get quite a lot bigger when it flowers. It will need stronger light that will reach further down the plant. That's a pretty big pot already. Is your room ventilated? It has to be. Whatever nutrients it has now will not be enough in a couple weeks. It needs nutrients on a regular schedule.

3. How much stronger of lights are you thinking? I had originally bought a 150 HPS but i found that the clamp that i bought didnt' work with it. This is probably a dumb question, but how do you tell what bulbs fit into what sockets? and you think that pot is big enough for the full flowering cycle?

It's in a closet with a fan, how should i ventilate a closet more? And finally, should I just buy some blooming nutrients? What do you recommend for flowering an indica?

4. At least the 150 and the cfl, a 400 hps would be better. You have to have a 150w hps ballast to use a 150w bulb. That pot looks big enough. Buy some standard blooming nutrients. Any standard nutrients will do like GH, Botanicare, Advanced.

5. Thanks man, I appreciate the help. Any idea how much a ballast generally costs? Im probably gonna hit up Lowe's tonight for it.

When its flowering should I set the lights about a foot up?

6. a 400w ballast is usually around 100$+ and a 400w bulb is about 60$ and a hood w/ socket is at least 50$-100$ i doubt you will find the stuff you need at lowes. a local hydro shop will have those things for sure.

i would be more worried about the plant outgrowing the closet more than anything lol. it will for sure out grow it. you may want to lst the plant, topping it now wont do much to keep the height down. and super cropping wont really work with a single stem like that.

7. Hm, okay. If my local hydro shop is just a liddo baby shop and doesn't have shit, where should i look? My town doesn't really have any more hydro shops.

And, what exactly do you mean by lst the plant? but yeah, i honestly have no idea what ill do about the size. If all else fails ill have to put it in a friends shed.

Lastly, do you think that the 150 hps and the cfl would be fine? Im on a fairly strict budget.

8. A lot of good places online to order from; amazon.com.com, .htgsupply.com, virtual sun hydroponics.com, discount hydro.com

9. search lst, light stress training. basically you tie your plants down sideways which shortens the height and you end up with tons of tops.

10. For sure, ill check that out. I'll post an update after i apply some of this.

11. Okay guys, here's a little update. So, I bought 3 more lights (all CFL's, either soft white or warm white), and began LSTing her. She's getting close to the 90 degree range, so i dont really want to stress her out any more, just because shes already so far into vegging.

Oh, last night, i also switched the lighting schedule from 24/0 to 18/6, and i plan on running it like that for a night or two, just so i can transition into 12/12 easier. After the two or three days of 18/6 i'm gonna put her into flowering, and we'll see how that goes with the quick LSTing.

Lastly, do you guys think i should just buy some Bloom nutrient, or go all out and buy some Bud Candy or something? Also, what bloom nutrients have you all had the most luck with?

Thanks for bearing with all my questions and whatnot.

Attached Files:

12. I think you need better lights.

Your going to be VERY disappointed come harvest time with just a few CFLs

13. I am with VB here, you will probably want to upgrade to HID lighting if you are expecting a good yield. Keep an eye out on the local classified you can get some good deals! I got a 430 watt HPS brand new for 60 bucks, just keep your eyes open and you can find some pretty good deals!

14. See the only thing that that gets me is that im on a very tight budget. And high wattage lights and their ballasts get expensive..

15. If you find the money for an HID you will easily double your yield or more so the light will pay for itself.

16. Bump.
    I put her into flowering about 3 days ago. Already growing long pistils. I'll post a picture when I can to show yall how its looking.

I started using general organics Bloom formula, anyone else use this? The hydroponics guy said he's heard a lot of good feedback from it.

17. Get a 600watt HPS. You can get one used cheap. I say go with the 600 cuz your next grow your gonna want the same if not more results. A 12/12 cycle is not going to be that noticeable when it comes to bills but what you will notice is a ton of weight on that plant and alot more cash in your pocket.

18. See, what my plan right now is to just grow this one out with the cfls, and hopefully by the time this one is harvested ill have enough cash for a good hps. But as of right now, I have about 80 bucks to my name. College, fun.

19. My nephew who is 5 years old was telling me about spiders the other day and how black widows are poisonous. He then said, "there's no white widows though right?"... :/

20. My white widow was flowered at 1ft and is not just hitting 4ft. So careful on the heights, keep the lst going as much as possible.