FIRST GROW!!! White Russian x 4 , soil grow, from seeds

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by chrisdunne, Feb 14, 2009.

1. #21 badger, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    Whatever you dont go 2 weeks without watering your plants!!!!! This will for sure Kill them. pH has to do with the amount of free H+ (hydrogen) ions in the soil. This is determined by how many nutes are in it, and how moist it is. The dryer your soil get, typically to higher the pH becomes because the H+ ions cant dissociate without water. A great way to keep your soil at the right pH is to test your runoff water. If you can get the water that comes out of the bottom of your pot to be in the range of 5.9-6.2 then your soil will be at the right pH for your plants.

You can also begin with your nute regiment as soon as you develop your 2nd leaf set. Just start your plants off at 1/4-1/6 the normal dose of nutrients mixed into a gallon of distilled water (find this at the grocerystore for ~1$/gallon) and see how they respond. If they cant handle it, flush em and let em be for about a week then try again. If they can handle it then very very slowly increase your nute regiment every time you water until your at full dosage. You can even over feed your plants as long as they dont show nute burn. Each plant is different and you have to play around to find what works best for you. Once you do find a good system, don't change it! Plants grow best under steady conditions so the more stable you can make it the faster they will grow.

If you wanna know when to water your plants, simple stick your finger in to the soil about 2-3 inches and if the soil is damp it doesnt need watering. If your soil is dry they water it. Check my grow out in my sig and let me know if you got any ?'s. GL bro:smoke:

2. Right I have the light a small bit away, a foot away to be precise.

I am really happy about what i just saw, there a few hours into the third cycle. they look healthier and 3 are now standing up alone without the need of supports.

I think they are responding to the few hours with the hps close up, and i have started giving the loads of water over the last 24 hours.

I am charging the cam now to get pics up.

One of them has more leaves coming out of the middle of the first set. wow

3. I put a huge fan in there yesterday, not extractor it just blows alot of air in on them and theres fresh air coming from my room.

It wass the first day there was no circulation and did the damage.

4. Don't give them too much water. They can drown. :eek:

5. going to bed, will get the pics up tomorow theyve come on alot from the last pics.

Cheers for the help again

6. #26 chrisdunne, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    Right big update pics wise anyway, finally got that bloody camera figured out.

Really good advice about building the soil up, that has helped alot and they look much much healthier, ive been giving them a cup full of water every six hours since they wilted. is that a bad thing?

They seem to have stopped stretching also as the light is considerably closer, i got some bottom saucers for the pots and am going to ph test the run off water tonight when the lights go back on, right now they are going into darkness for six hourrs. Im also going to clean the room when the light comes back on, with hot water.
    :hello::hello::hello::smoking:

PS anyone looking in have a look at what they were like 36 hours ago, all stringy looking and pale stemmed

Attached Files:

7. whatever works is what works but just from looking at it, it appears that hps is too close those seedlings. haha

guess we'll see.

8. here they are day 5 after they poped pout of the soil after our scare there early on it seems they have come back ok let me know what you think!

this is there 4th cycle with 18hr on and 6hrs off!!

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      162.7 KB
      Views:
    • 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      170.2 KB
      Views:
  9. the next few days will tell if your lights too close, by the beginning of the node spacing/ general look of the plant. :wave:

10. I just took more pics there. im going to give them a decent watering at midnight, 2 hours, will probably be dryish by then as i touched the soil and its getting dryer than moist.

Attached Files:

• 333.jpg
      333.jpg
      File size:
      174.1 KB
      Views:
    • 444.jpg
      444.jpg
      File size:
      148.6 KB
      Views:
  11. #31 chrisdunne, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    Doinda other ppl in the help dying plants thread i made are telling me to move it closer again, i havent moved it away since u told me to move it down in the first place.

Also someone asked me if i germed in soil no i didnt, i germed them in towls in a tuppawear box, then planted them in pre watered soil 3/4 inch in. left them with bags on for 2 days and they shot out.
    then i turned the light on to do cycles.

Im penciling in some nutes for 7 days time roughly, im thinking 1/4 dose. will make a call on it at the time whether there ready or not.

Hope there not all males after the stress at the start

I just gave them about a 1/5 of a gallon of water between the 4, when watering i tend to water not directly on the steam but right around it and right around the best of the pot. i alslo mist the plants wiht a squirter a few times a day.

Does this sound ok, i do the `1/5 of a gallon twice a day.

They are now standing without suipports in these new pics(previous page)

12. yeah like i said as long as it isnt burning it then your fine, it just looks close.

i think i responded in another thread but your way too early to be thinking about nutes

13. aye mate if your using soil then it should already have enough nutritional value to carry them longer than a week without any additional feeding from yourself ;) good indicator as to when to feed is to watch the cotydylons, once they start getting a lighter green/yellow, its time to feed them, watering around the plant is fine, this just forces the roots to spread out looking for something to drink ;) I dont think id be misting them at this stage though but thats just me, theres plenty people who do.

keep it up bud :wave:

14. Alright chris, I moved over to this thread from the other thread so i'll be talking to you on here now. I just wanted to post so i'll get subscribed to this thread. I'm excited to see how these progress.

15. good info, once the cotyledons yellow and start to fall off is when you want to start nutes