First grow, what can I expect?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thenavejas21, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Hey guys, first time grower here and just wanted to gather some opinions and advice for my grow area/setup and if any changes need to be made for what I had in mind. I've gathered and done some research online these past couple weeks and finally decided to take a leap of faith and finally grow my own. I plan on growing in my attic since I have family over quiet often and a closet grow wouldn't be ideal. My grow area is 2x2x3, can be made 3x3x3 but i think thats pushing it. Im kinda just winging it here and had a budget in mind so just going from that.

List of everything I have and what is on the way through the mail:
    •5 autoflowers seeds/only germing 2 for rn
    •12 qts fox farms ocean forrest
    •5 lb kind soil
    •king plus 600w led (think it only draws 120w from wall)
    •4x 45w cfl's 5500k
    •2x usb cpu fans
    •3 gal fabric pots
    •pH meter
    •humidity/temp monitor

Im going to build a grow box/tent out of ply wood and just line it w/ tinfoil and make proper cut outs for my light fixtures and fans. Do yall think the cfls alone are good for vegging a couple weeks or should i go ahead and use both the led and cfls right off the bat til harvest? And do yall think thats enough light and space to grow two good sized/squatty plants or should i just go for one? I dont know what to expect and plan on learning as I go along. I know im gonna have to lst the shit out of both plants and most likely scrog also since i want to keep them short and wide. Let me know what you guys think or any suggestions on how i should go about my grow and if im missing some key things to start off with. Anything helps. I will be uploading pics as I go along and when everything arrives by the end of this week. Plan on starting this upcoming week with everything.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I'd add like 30% perilite to your soil and cfl's work pretty well for early veg, or just your led at a fair distance. I'd only grow one plant in there if it were me. If there's any way you can make your setup taller, you should do it. Once you add up height of your pot, height of plant, height of light from ceiling, and distance of light from plants, 3 feet is usually not enough. Definately do some lst in there

• Like Like x 2
  3. Well that's the thing, i have low ceiling max hight up there has to be 4 ft but its the only place im comfortable growing. Might look into micro grow but preciate the help

4. it’s easy to keep them short. just do aggressive LST. IMG_0766.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  5. With that space and that light - one plant only. And like the above posters said, you better do some serious LSTing with only 3' of vertical height. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nice buddy! Can u post some pics of u lsting that monster down?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I grow in an attic. Not as easy as I thought, but still doing it. If your max height is 4ft, go for the highest you can. You'll need 18" or more between led light and plant tops. There needs to be space above the light too. Train to keep them low. Controlling climate in an attic is tough. Expect extreme heat and cold.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 50 pound test or bigger fishing line works great for training

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. This is pic of the area I'll be growing. It has polyurethane foam insulation so the temp stays pretty constant in there about 65-75 degrees. Thanks guys definelty gonna lst as much as i can, how soon should i start the training?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. That space is gonna be a challenge

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah. That’s a tough space. Definitely do some reading on micro grows. But 1 plant sounds best. I’d start training her at like node 3. Bend it right over almost flat. Carefully. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Update here, i scratched the whole attic idea and went ahead and decided to go w/ a closet grow. Built me a grow box roughly 23x18x64. Got done germenating yesterday and finally put them in soil today. LED light is about 20" from the top of the pot. As for ventilation, i have two (covering one cause i placed it in wrong area) 4" cut outs where my duct fan & filter will run out but i have yet to install those, im planning on making a cut out along the bottom of one of the walls so some good air can come in prolly a 15x3" hole. As far as humidy n temp goes, with the box door closed the temp jumped to 88, turned my oscillating fan to high and went down to 82-84 so i left the door slightly open for now. Now just to wait n see if they sprout. What do you guys think? I watered the pots till slight run off, nothing major. How should i go about watering during this stage?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Could you take your pics under natural light please? :)

14. *humidity stays at 38 but i put a pan of water in there to see if it'll bump up a little & sure thing. I was in a hurry this morning so i just took a quick pic lol

15. That’s a ton of water for a seed. I usually just use a spray bottle. Spray about 3-5 squirts a day. Oxygen getting in is just as important as water. For the life of the plant you want your medium to dry out within a couple days almost completely. Cannabis needs that cycle.

16. if i were you i would get right now 3-5 gal pots scoop the germinating seeds and place them in new pots

because if you care about yield you dont transplant autoflowers
    because stress like this encourages early flowering so you end up with small plants low yield

17. Did not know it affected yeild. I have a 4 gal fabric pot ready to go, i just didnt want to get carried away with the watering since it is a bigger area for my seedling. I'll switch it over tonight and see how it goes. Thanks guys. Watering is my biggest concern to start off

18. nope. i transplant all my autoflowers, it’s fine. some of them even liked it, drooping before transplant and standing up to the sky after. but in theory i guess when you have a short life plant, you don’t wonna stress it. but the way i see it is i’m giving it a chance to grow even faster and bigger, because seedlings grow faster in smaller pots cause the root system and shit.

first photoperiod grow

19. Some nice ass grows! Especially the white widow. Hopefully my nugs can be as half as good as that lol i got both of my autos in coco coir pots that you can directly transplant into final medium. You think that'll put any stress on them or should i not worry too much about em and transplant them with the coco pot altogether