First grow, what am I seeing?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by BobbHimself, Jan 17, 2020.

1. So, as the title says, this is my first grow. I thought I had studied up before starting this project, but now I'm not sure what she's doing.

Seed- Fem. Critical Jack
    Soil Starter mix- 1/3 peat, perlite, organic composted humus from local sod farm
    Transplant mix-https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/easy-organic-soil-mix-for-beginners.1116550/
    Water- Tap water, with chloriene, not chloramine, bubbled for 24 hrs. Originally not ph adjusted at 6.8, currently Phd to 6.5. Currently without a TDS meter.
    Light- 24/0
    Started under 2x23W CFL@6500k, now under a Kingbrite 240W QB, raised to 32".
    Humidity- varies with weather because of basement grow, from 55%-75%. Currently at 70%, and able to control with exhaust fan.
    Temperature- Again, basement grow in winter. Varies with weather, inside canopy temps stay above 63F and below 75F. I have a heat mat as well, and keep the soil temp at 72F.
    Nutes- None given, and with the mix above, only plan to if deficiencies are shown

Picture time

This was her on day 12

Her again on day 18

She was transplanted 2 days ago, as her roots were poking out the bottom of her pot. That is when she went from the starter mix to the transplant mix.

And here she is on day 23

After first set of true leaves, the second set came out as 3 branching sets.

What is going on here, and what do I need to do?

2. Looks like you ain't got enough light on.
    Are you running at least 18/6 ?
    They look like they are reveggin' or starting to flower but still to young.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 BobbHimself, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Always on at 24/0. Was under 2x23w CFL@ 6500k for 10 days, and just a few inches above. Then switched to the 240W LED at 28inches because I thought the early curling was stretching for light.

4. Some seeds have birth defects just like humans.

You can either let it grow and see what happens or throw it off a cliff like a Spartan and start over. If you have the space and time I'd let it grow out of curiosity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Because of an anticipated move, I won't have the time to restart, so I'm going to have to let it ride.

First grow, first seed, and I've cracked that weirdo. Am I just that lucky?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Just keep going as is. Use it as a learning tool. It will help with future grows, and may as well continue with what you've started. Good luck with it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. I wanted to say it's a genetic defect and needs to be thrown out but the later pictures look like russet mite damage. I went back to your pictures, downloaded them, and pinch zoomed in.

Screenshot_20200117-123148~2.png

Screenshot_20200117-122632~2.png
    I don't know exactly what I'm looking at here but You are very unlucky to catch something so quickly . Not sure if it's from your compost or environment or something else. If they were beneficial mites, they wouldn't leave the soil so quickly with a fresh mix of food. And your plant wouldn't look so horrible if they were good mites .

8. Would neem oil be used to treat? How difficult to eradicate, and how best to prevent their return?

9. I don't know what the mites in the pictures are, but russet mites that cause damage and mutated growth similar to yours lay their eggs inside the plant tissue. Neem will kill the adults but the eggs will hatch a few days later.

Avid 0.15 EC Miticide Insecticide

Avid will wipe out adults and eggs. It'll get into the tissue so when any mite tries to bite the plant it'll get poisoned.

Since your plant is so young, by the time you harvest there won't be any residual avid left in the tissue. However, avid costs $100. And you'll probably only need to use it this once. And the dilution rate is like a few drops in water. So honestly, is it worth it . For an elite clone only mother, sure id pay $100 and save her. For one tiny untested seedling, you could buy 20 more for $100

10. Well... shit. Should I consider the barrel of soil I have contaminated as well? Leftover pest and compost? EWC?

11. Most likely the soil is contaminated. I don't know which of your items they came in on.

My personal experience with them was on my first soil grow. Everything was going fine and I decided to mulch my clover cover crop with hay. Went on eBay and found a bale of grass/alfalfa mix for $8 from a farmer down the road. My flowering plants were 3 feet tall and I went it and mulched them with hay. After applying the mulch I watered them. My flowering containers had thousands of beneficial mites and after the watering they all went into the hay to investigate the new material. I then mulched my mom plants in a separate area but had forgotten 2 or 3 times to add beneficial mites so they were unprotected. A week later the mom's had stopped growing and what little was coming out looked mutated. The mites in the flowering room however ate all the russets from the hay before they could make it to my plants.

So I was able to trace it to an outside variable and tossed all the hay out and saved my mom's with avid. Sprayed them, new healthy growth started to come in, took clones of the new growth, re mommed the clones, and then took 3rd generation clean clones to flower