First Grow - Update #2 - 28.05.2012

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by pemo, May 23, 2012.

1. #1 pemo, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
    Scroll down for updated plant info and pictures.

! ! ! My First Grow Journal ! ! !

Hey GC!:wave: This is my first "Grow Journal" [Also my first thread on GC Forums]

I've read allot of advice from other growers over the last few months and I've been getting really excited!

A couple of weeks ago i received two "bag seeds" so i thought I'd plant them (I got impatient, after three days of germination I brought them to the surface of the soil for them to begin growing). They've come up fine over the last two weeks [Plant M and Plant E](one not so well, I'll explain later)

Last week I received 10 seeds from a friend (Also "bag seeds") so i also decided to germinate those (the same way i did last time [Three day soil germination period, because the "Damp paper towel method" didn't work for me (Probably because of the temperature in my room)]) :(

I've attached a few pictures hoping for some advice and constructive criticism! (Not on the spelling and grammar error's, it's not really my strong point) :D

I currently have 7 seedlings growing.

Two of which are two weeks old
    (Sprouted May 7, 2012)

The other 5 plants are all two day's old
    (Sprouted May 21, 2012)

Scroll Down For New Updates!! Thanks For Reading!! :)

Attached Files:

2. What kind of setup you going run them under?

Im actually smoking my bud from my first harvest using some seeds from mexican brick weed. And i must say the smoke is 200% better than what i imagine it was before.

Oops just noticed in the pic you got see through cups. If you plan on keeping them in there for a while go ahead and wrap the cups in duct tape to keep the light off the roots.

Good luck man and keep us updated!

3. Thanks man!

The setup is super cheap, and well. . . My fions'e and I made it with what we had at hand xD

The cups are placed in a box, which has a small fluorescent [Not sure about how many watts] hung about 4 inches from the plants, with small mylar squares for a small amount of light reflection :)
    (i also made my own reflective hood for the light with a small sheet of Mylar) :D

and i'll either find some tape, or find some new cups, thanks for the advice! :D

I'll be updating pics and plant info later this afternoon, in about 8 - 12 hours :)

4. Very exciting! We started ours with a couple of flouros.. Much cheaper than the halides, and they vegged nicely.. Had no idea how crazy you could actually get with this stuff.. Umm, you said they sprouted in june of 2012, you mean may? Or maybe a differen year? :) Congrats on your babys! Hope you guys have all girls :wave:

5. Oh mannn, I have trouble with just one plant. Best of luck to you

6. Yeah, the flouro's are MUCH cheaper, I think im going to go with multiple CFL's when i renovate my setup :)

If i had the money, I'd definitely buy HID's though.

And thanks for the correction, yeah they sprouted in may, I was a little blazed when i did this xD

Thanks for having a look and commenting!
    Updates and new pics will be here in an hour!

7. #7 pemo, May 24, 2012
    Update #1 - 24.05.2012

Alright, so all the sprouts are coming up nice, healthy and strong!

I've taken plant A out of the grow box today and placed it in the yard because it seems to be growing quite slowly. I swapped it with Plant Z. :)

Plant M is making great progress with its new rooting system. Another set of leaves growing at the top are becoming more visible! :D

The rest of the plants are growing fine, and im going to begin giving Plant E 1/2 - 3/4 strength nute feeds :)

Here are some pictures!

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

The next update will be in 72 hours :)

Attached Files:

8. All plants are doing fine, growing nice and fast. two plants already have a new set of leaves emerging they're growing rapidly.

Need to find a new light though, I don't think this one's efficient enough.

Posting new pictures tomorrow :D

Peace.

9. massively busy, I'll update sometime tomorrow :)

all the plants are good and healthy :)

10. Update #2 - 28.05.2012

Hey GC! Sorry but I cant be fucked with the pretty colors tonight :)

The plants are all coming along fine.

I also recently germinated three hydro seeds ( one died ) and have added plant X to the grow box as of tonight :)

V------------------------------------------------------V

I am however slightly concerned about the size and height of Plant M and Plant E, they are both now 3 weeks old ( since they popped up ) but haven't gained much height at all. I'm worried because a few of the 8 day old plants are already taller than the 21 day old plants.

Would this have anything to do with them being low quality outdoor seeds?
    If so, is there anything i can do to help them along?
    I'm adding fertilizer, should i also add nutes now that the plants are three weeks old?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for reading!
    VVV Pictures VVV

Attached Files:

11. Hey how many CFLs are you using? For 6 seedlings i'd say you should have at least 6 27w 6500k CFLs.
    I feel like your plants are growing really really slowly.
    Remember, the more lights, the better, more yield!

12. #12 Airf0nz0, May 28, 2012
    Good to hear pemo. Looking forward to the pics, i like seeing them grow when they are this young, seems there is tons of growth everyday.

*edit
    lol, was on your page but had to leave, came back and replied but you already updated. Plants are looking great, well besides M but it should recover nicely. I'm also wondering how much light you are using. Cfl's are great for a couple plants, but with 6 you are going to need quite a few lights. Maybe you should think about investing in a Blackstar led for the long run? As for nutes, I don't wanna give any bad advice so I won't. You could try 1/4 or even 1/8th of a dose and see how they respond. They look healthy though, besides the slow growth.

13. Hmmmm. . . It's actually starting to irritate me, I'm looking at a few other plants the same age as mine and they're massive.

after going over my setup and my soil, i've found, one million, four hundred and seventy-five thousand, nine hundred and fifty-two possible problems. (well not really)

My first thought was the light, but they're getting 8 hours of sunlight each day, and around 10 - 16 hours of fluorescent light. Is this not enough for 6 seedlings?

My second though was maybe it's just a weak strain? I have my new plant (Plant X) and it's a hydro seed so i'm praying it's a strong plant :)

My third thought was the medium, the plants seem to love it, i cant see any noticeable deficiencies. I though maybe if i add bat guava and worm endings. Could that speed up growth?

Well, thanks for checking them out, I hope they speed up ):
    But if not, I'll just start again (with better seeds) :D

14. How many watts of fluorescent lighting, and is it 2700k or 6000K? I really think its the lighting. 8 hours of sunlight is good, but not enough if the other 10-16 hours are under poor light.

15. Hmmmm, after looking in the awesome lighting post, I've decided its almost certainly the lights, I'm going to go and get a few CFL's ASAP, thanks for the help :)

16. #16 pemo, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
    Update #3 - 30.05.2012

Hey GC, the plants are coming along nicely. (not so much M) However all the others seems to be skyrocketing. I think they might not grow too fast seeing as though here, on Friday it will officially be winter.

Plant M doesn't seem to be growing too fast, I've recently started fertilizing plant E and she's overtaken plant M. (which used to be slightly larger)

Plant X looks lovely, I'm hoping for a nice bushy indica from plant X :)

Plant B is by far my fastest growing plant, with the largest leaves and it's the tallest plant I have, It's rooting system has also started to grow around the outside of the cup in multiple places, It may be time for a transplant in a week or so :) (I've taped paper around the cup to prevent most of the light from hitting any roots)

All the other plants are doing fine and coming up nicely :)

Also! I went out and bought a few 20W 2700k CFL's and on Friday i'll be buying some 6500K's. Although, as of just yet, I have no way of putting my plants under them, I'll have the problem fixed by the next update and hopefully I should see some descent growth :)

Thanks for reading!

VVV Picture Updates Below VVV​

Attached Files:

17. Good to hear. They all look healthy, and as soon as you get them under good light they are sure to take off.

18. #18 pemo, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  19. I think using a regular extension cord with a socket to outlet adapter would be better -

[​IMG]

You hang it over you plants, and you can connect Y socket adapters to attach more lights to one socket -

[​IMG]

I am using these plugged into a power strip super glued to my cabinet.

20. Thanks a tonne man, that's what i was thinking initially I just didn't know what anything was called.

I think i know where to go to buy them.

+ Rep'd, Thanks a tonne!