First grow, trouble setting up grow space.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rookiegrower69, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Hey guys, so this is my absolute first time trying to grow a plant. I've decided on indoors for subtlety reasons, but now I'm having trouble with setting up my grow space. I have a very small box shown here

[​IMG]

And I'm planning to keep the plant short and bushy using topping and lst. Not sure what kind of soil that is but it seems to work fine for all of my mothers plants. I live with my rents (so as not to leave my mother alone while my dad is on tour for months at a time) and my mother is extremely against this sort of stuff. I was planning to wait until I moved out to try and grow, but I've gotten to the point where bud is expensive and hard to find now that I've lost most of my high school contacts. I have several seeds to spare so why not? Only problem is the smell. I know my mother enters my room regularly when I'm not at home (stuff isn't where I put it, door is left open, clothes are folded etc) and I don't want her to smell it when she comes in. Any ideas what I should use for ventilation? I know how to make a carbon filter, that's easy enough, but I need to make a ventilation system first. Also, anyone experienced using ona pro gel? I was thinking of getting some to hide the smell as well, wanted some feedback on it first though. Finally, what lighting do you recommend? Right now I have a fifty watt fluorescent in my lamp, but I'm planning on going to the store to get all of my equipment this week, hopefully before I even plant the seed.

[​IMG]

Don't know what kind of seed it is either, I know they say bag seeds aren't the best to grow with but hey, I'm on a tight budget and I already have them so might as well try.

I'm thinking of going with a 100-150 watt HPS which I'd have to buy a new setting for so I could string it across the top of the box. I'm leaning towards using a few PC fans for exhaust leading to one carbon filter, and either I'll have a passive intake hole or a few fans for intake. I'm hoping to have a small fan blowing on the plant as well. Any suggestions are helpful ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 A guy, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Best of luck.

3. How big is that Box? Your using a CFL bulb? There 50 watt or 13 true watt? If it's 50 watts it has to be 200 watt CFL?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. He already said he stays to give his mum company whilst his dad's away.lol.

sent via racing snake

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bro don't worry about what other people think. If you're helping your mother out good for you. Your lucky to have one!!! I don't think that box is going to work. You need more space!!! You should read more before you start your grow cause you have somethings to consider.
    1) your gonna get a strong odor
    2)if you want to put money out, just to see if you could grow a seed it's not hard, but what is difficult is putting money out for all your supplies your gonna need if you want to smoke what you grow! You need a set up 1St. and the knowledge to know what your doing, or your just throwing money away! Read up 1st. You'll know when your ready!

6. Without trying to solve someone's personal problems, let's focus on how to solve his cultivation challenges instead?

If your mother goes in the room, no matter what you do she will find it. It's very hard to make such a small area both silent and productive, and on a tiny budget. If you still are serious about this, you need to understand that no matter which avenue you take it will be over a period of months. There is a lot more to consider than putting a plant in dirt with a light inside an unventilated box.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I suggest you do an outdoor grow.Buy some Autoflowering feminised seeds,get some good aerated soil and find a covert spot to plant it.This will stop your mum smelling it,and all you have to do is water it regularly. I wouldn't consider forking out for a set up if you're too afraid to use it freely.IMO

sent via racing snake

• Like Like x 1
  8. OY made a Good point! Your mother don't need to know nottaYou can buy seeds from any where, And start a grow outside! You don't need hardly anything if you do it during the summer months. Use Autoflower seeds or even Feminized seeds, but Autoflowers will be easier for you then most. Start reading about seeds it's a start! People are just busting your balls kid you'll be okay!!!
    Good Luck

9. I thought of doing outdoor however the only place would be the backyard and she is constantly doing gardening in it. I know the box is small, I don't need a big yield I just want to grow some bud to medicate myself. The box has been in my room for years and has been in every room I've had (we've moved several times) and she's never opened it before. That's why I chose this spot. I was thinking of getting/making a bigger grow space but the problem is where do I put it? I suppose I could hide it in my closet, but all she would have to do is open it to notice a big box or tent she's never seen before. I was also thinking the attic, but it gets extremely hot in there (sometimes over 100 degrees) and I don't know how I would be able to keep the plants cool in that. My box seemed to be the best option. I know it takes a lot of work to take care of a plant, and you may not believe me but I have in fact done quite a bit of research about it, and have been thinking this through for a while. For now, the box is my best option, unless I'm going to risk growing it on my roof (where she could see it from both the backyard and my bedroom window).

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Don't you have a spot where you chill with friends maybe some where there's woods. It would be much easier and less $$$ just say you use that box! that can't be over 1 square foot there's no way I can't see it! Maybe someone can! This was my 1st set up here's some pics if it will help![​IMG][​IMG]