First grow time to harvest?? HELP

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mklahr, Jan 4, 2011.

1. This is my first grow and I'm not sure if it is time to harvest yet. I've read a bunch of threads but I'm a newb and don't want to mess up. Red hairs are about 30% over the entire plant. What do you all think? I just dont want to wait too long. I want to get an uppy high. This is northern lights if it matters. Thanks for the help

2. here are some pics of the buds this is as close as my cam can get

Attached Files:

3. How long since flower 12/12? NL is about 8 weeks i believe.

4. Indicas aren't the ones u should be chasing an uppy high with.

But as long as u don't let the trichs get amber to long that's about the best ur gonna do.

Do u have a microscope?

If so just check the trichs and when there all cloudy that's gonna give u whatever upp high u can get out of it. Like I said indicas aren't really known for that.

5. Yeah i know they aren't but i heard that harvesting at different times can effect the high. and about 7- 8 weeks yeah

6. radio shack has a hand held microscope that runs 13buck...pick 1 up and look at the trich's on the buds...not the hairs...check stickies on when to harvest...you want mostly cloudy trich's and very few amber thrich's to get the most up buzz a plant has to offer:smoke:

7. Thanks deacon I just got one from radio shack and they are mostly clear and shiny. They look very swollen though.

8. Yep that's what I was gonna say I have the same microscope and it works great.

You probably stil have another week or two and they will start getting milky. I personally like the couchlock bud so I'm letting my northern lights go like 9 weeks. It helps me sleep.

9. Well me and my girlfriend just smoked some tiny buds I had plucked about a week ago and just finished drying it. We got pretty stoned off 2 bong rips each. So maybe I should harvest?

10. How long have you been flowering for? I'm growing northern lights as well, mine are coming up on their 5th week of flowering. I'll post some of my main colas. BTW your buds are still very young, doesn't look like they have swelled up yet either.

11. They are about 8 weeks since 12/12 They look small because it was maybe 4" the main stem snapped so there is no main cola. I wasn't sure how it would turn out but it ended up with 6 smaller colas. Two of them are actually pretty good looking. This is my first time grow so I'm happy with any outcome haha

12. they look like they got a week or two left to go m8ey

13. oooo yeah DEFINATELY has a few more weeks.

Keep her going, ALSO, I dont mean to tell you what you dont know or what you do know just making sure so you dont waste all your valuable effort and time, Be sure to flush that soil before you harvest!!!! HUGE difference in the smoke. And its a good difference =)

14. #14 GrapeStreet, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
    I might be crazy, but those don't look near ready.

I'd say you could give them another month. The pistils are darkening, but I don't see any swelling in the buds at all. It may just be the photos, but those don't look very thick yet.

Wait until the plant starts to think it's the "end of the season" Her calyxes will swell and you'll see a lot more girth around the budding area.

If you're looking for a clear headed smoke, you could harvest early, but with an indica, you're better off chasing the narcotic stoned vibe, and should therefore wait until you've got mostly clouding and some amber trichs.

You can totally harvest clear trichs, and it'll still get you high, but if you're looking for those big ol' chucky nugs, wait until the plant starts to swell at the end of her flower cycle.

--
    This is my personal opinion, which is unpopular in some circles. Don't trust any X weeks stats. If they say it's 8 weeks, and it's been 10, but you still have clear heads...keep on growin. I've never stuck to the schedule for my strain, every one was under-estimated by up to a month.

Of course, my grow environment fluctuates, so each harvest is slightly different.

Go by the scope, and by the look of the plant. You'll start to get a sense for when the plant throws in the towel.

--
    I agree with the last guy too. Make sure you flush beforehand. There's 100 methods of flushing, but the point is, strip the plant of all those excess nutrients that will harsh your smoke.

Recently, I've been chopping the plants, but keeping them in distilled water (changed every other day or every day) in a dark cabinet for a week before I hang them to dry. It's produced a very smooth smoke so far and is a good fail safe if you're a soil grower and can't flush the soil thoroughly enough.

15. Well that isn't encouraging. The buds are making the branches fall over from weight.

16. stake em...you'll find alot of plants sag under their own weight..a good thing for sure:D..also staking the kolas to spread apart provides better light;)

17. doesnt look quite ready. Id give it more time, dont rush sir :)

18. I second that, the white hairs are still very white. Wait until the hairs darken to brown AND when your desired trichome levels are reached. (Milky/White trichome dominant: uppy energetic high, Amber trichome dominant: couch lock high, 50/50 Milky/Amber: an even mix of both.)

Cheers!

P.S. Check out my first grow as well :D
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/726239-first-indoor-grow-feedback.html

19. is that for indica and sativa? (the more amber the more couch lock)

20. Definitely looks young to me. Put me in the stake em and continue crowd. I have 3 out of 4 staked right now at 7 weeks and a couple have at least 2 more weeks to go.