[First Grow] Tent Under Stairs [MARS 300 LED] [2x2x3 Tent]

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by AB5, Mar 18, 2016.

1. #1 AB5, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Update: This grow has failed. Here is my final update post explaining what happened

What's up GC? This is my first serious grow. A few years ago, I made a Rubbermaid grow box with CFLs.. but it failed (Plants died, never really took off to begin with). This time around I'm going to attempt to grow using a better setup:
    This tent is in the basement, under a set of stairs. Must be a stealth grow.

I welcome any input, guidance, advice this community has to offer.

0318160818.jpg 0318160819.jpg 0318160819_HDR.jpg 0318160820.jpg 0318160820a.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Temperature in the room throughout the day with the lights off is 68°.
    With the lights on, I've had the temperatures go up to 85°, but right now they're sitting at 78°. Depending on what my fan setting is at, I believe I can get them down to 75. Only problem being the noise coming from the vent I've put in my wall. Unless I can find a solution to bring the noise level down, I'll have to keep the fan speed on Low/Medium.

I germinated both the seeds using the paper towel method. The Pineapple Chunk had the longer tap-root, and it's also the first to sprout.. but no leaves. Hopefully the White Widow pops soon.

• Like Like x 5
  3. That's a really nice setup you have man. Mine is almost the same I'm growing 2 grape kush week 4 of flower but with like 140w of cfls later getting a Mars hydro reflector series the 2 panel one. I'll be tagging along to see what that led can do.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Nice, smart choice going with 2 of the same strain. From what I'v read, the Pineapple Chunk I have surprisingly stretches a good amount. Even though it's Indica..

• Like Like x 3
  5. Yeah but it's two different containers one is a 3 gal and one gal dwc. I want to try that pineapple chunk but don't they flower for long

6. How big is your space? Containers aren't expensive if you'd like to have both grow in the same conditions.

I ordered a couple of 3 Gallon Bags, but I think they're probably going to be too big for this space. So I ordered some 2 gallon bags and will be returning the 3-gal.

7. With only 3' in height you'll definitely want to go with 1 or 2 gallon pots and LST them to the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  8. Right now I vegged for a month and I think I can veg for at least 5-6 weeks in DWC and control height with early topping and scrog net.

9. Appreciate the advice. When I LST, what would I be tying them down to? It's something really basic I could never figure out how people were doing.

10. Well, I would start by topping some nodes so you get bushy horizontal growth over vertical. Then I would weigh down or tie down branches to increase surface area exposed to light... Once you've got nice bushy vegetative growth, I would scrog about 6-10" above the pot and train the nodes outward into the square holes on whatever you use to scrog. Just a start and my .02 c

• Like Like x 3
  11. Really do appreciate your suggestions. I have done a good amount of reading on SCROG and LST techniques. For LST, I can tie them down to the tent framing, right? I also need to find a nice way to build a SCROG for this little tent.

12. For sure man. For LST you can weigh down branches or drill little holes into the rim of your pot and tie them to that with longer-thinner hemp rope or whatever. For a scrog you can build something off of your tent poles in each corner. Like tying strings into a square and then tying strings off of that. LST just means low stress training and its a broad term for anything that stresses your plant a little to make it grow vigorously/produce more THC. It's best when used with topping. You could literally just flick your plant everyday and consider it LST. Tying down is most effective, as it stresses your plant a tad and gets more surface area available for photosynthesis.. You'll get it down, it's only as complicated as you make it. Just listen to your plants and adjust accordingly . Subscribed for the rideeeee.

• Like Like x 3
  13. haha don't know why I didn't think of using the tent structure for the SCROG. But yea, I understand the benefits of both of those techniques. I'm intrigued in mainlining, but I've read that it's not advised for beginners.

14. Heck yeah man why make it complicated Yano? For my new tent I was just going to literally take a long string and go around and double loop each pole to the next and then just tie off string by string into square panels. Haha I haven't even jumped into mainlining. Definitely an intriguing topic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nice been waiting for this AB5! Looks good, yeah them fans get loud! Mines in my room it's works low but thinking of the expensive "quiet" one when I get extra cash. But I'm subbed can't wait to see how your pineapple chunk grows, I have a few I ordered but just waiting to get a couple grows under my belt before using my good seeds!

Sent from obamascookies iPhone

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yea, that sounds like a great idea man. haha you definitely saved me a lot of time

When do you think I should start the SCROG?

Haha now I can keep all my questions out of your thread. Appreciate your help!

Have you seen those mufflers/silencers they make for these fans? Think they might be worth it?

Day 2 Update: White Widow popped! Anybody know how often I should be watering these? I've PH'd tap water to 6.5.

I read that I should sample the run off... but I'm not getting much water at all in those little plates, I feel like I'd have to over-water / flood them to get enough to test. The Solo Cups they're in now have about 5 holes towards the center of the bottom of the cup, then 2 slits towards the outer end. I think that'd be enough drainage?

17. I keep looking at them myself, I've read they help a little but don't expect "silence" so I really don't know? Dry/wet cycles is what the plants need. That's what I've read and well it's been doing my plants well since the first round. You can judge by the weight of the pots stick or clean finger in the soil a bit. I checked my run off maybe once or twice definitely not every time, but they say you should just to avoid ph problems, not sure about in soil though? From what I've read or recall its people growing hydro/coco mixes?? On the drainage as long as you see some water draining out I'd say you're good? I have quite a few in my cups just in case, I'd rather have extra drainage then moist growing medium longer then I want! Awesome your Widow popped!

18. Start the scrog when they're like 6-8" tall above the pot. You could set it up now, wait and then start training.

• Like Like x 2
  19. #19 AB5, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    You guys think I should throw in some 6500K CFLs?

EDIT: Also, I went to check on them just now. Thought I'd snap a pic of what my drainage holes look like (then a pic of the Pineapple just cuz.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. The first pic is from the first round and they did great, 2nd pic added a few more, works so far/plants are happy is all that really matter I guess!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2