First grow. Super Silver Haze T5 2' 4-Bulb DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by madamayo, Feb 26, 2012.

1. #1 madamayo, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
    So I am now on Day 3, was originally going to start this log on Day 1 but the site took a few days to send me an activation email. Good news is, my seed has sprouted as of this morning!

So, hello Grasscity! If you've been around marijuana.com you may have seen a few of my posts.

So basically here is what I have going on: 10gal food grade storage tote, 1 6" basket with rockwool attached to the lid of the totel, an ECO185 water pump feeding into the basket, another air pump outside with a line feeding into the tote. I just placed my home warm vapor humidifier in the setup too because it was feeling a little dry, being that I live in Denver. It keeps it a nice temperature when it's set on low and provides a good amount of humidity as well. Unfortunately my light is currently in the shipping process, but it is an HTGSupply T5 4 lamp with 2 3000k bulbs and 2 6400k bulbs. Currently I have a 15W CFL suppyling a very small amount of light for the rockwool. After one day of presoak and 2 days of being in the rockwoool the seed has popped.

Enough talk, here's the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is from this morning when I added the humidifier. Going to remove it eventually, just using it for germination.

[​IMG]

2. Welcome to GC.
    Nice set up, but there is a few things that might be better to change.
    1) Cover the entry hole(on the tote lid) for your air tube to reduce amount of light getting in to your nutrient solution to reduce chances of algae to grow and to avoid nutrient deficiencies (chemicals in your nutrient solution can slightly change when exposed to light and create some problems).

2)Move your air pump higher than your nutrient solution level to avoid possible damage(fire??) to your pump if water runs back if you loose power.(I personally think that chances of that are very slim....)

3)Remove your nutrients from your tent ,they just always going to be on your way(but you do not really need to )

4)Keep record of your data (RH,T,PH,EC,PPM....) so if you run in to any problems it would be easier to find out what was the reason for that problem to develop...

3. Same here. Seems like u have all the bells and whistles. Your cfl will b sufficient for ur seedling until ur big lights get there. Goodluck. Peace

4. Day 5. Seedling grew about 1" over the last 24 hours... It's looking pretty good, but it seems like it might not be holding itself up too well. I didn't bother to touch it incase it was weak, but im going to see if it keeps leaning over as it gets taller. Heres some pics to update, sorry if they're blurry.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Cool man. Once you have some experience you should look into Aquaponics.

6. You should also keep your nutes away from light.

Other than that, RO76 covered everything else.

Keep it up :smoke:

7. #7 madamayo, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
    Thank you very much for the tips!

I'm not too worried about a fire because there are several safeties on the system (GFCI and a surge protector), and it's an aquarium pump. Thanks for looking out though!

As for aquaponic; I was discussing it a little bit with my girlfriend, she has a fish tank, and we both think it would be really cool but I'm a computer tech and not a biologist so it kind of feels out of my league. I will definitely be looking into it from time to time though, as it is very interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like it was just growing towards the light earlier and it's perfectly healthy. I wish I had a nice video camera (or any nice camera >.<) so I could make a time lapse video of it. I didn't think these grew THAT fast!!!

8. Looks like everything is going well, grew another inch last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:smoke:

Cant wait to feed it....

9. Your plant needs more light , the only reason that it stretches up so fast is because it is desperately looking for MORE light....

10. UPS needs to get here then! Light is supposed to be here in by tomorrow afternoon. Should I push the lamp closer to the plant? It's a 15w CFL so it barely creates any heat.

11. Keep it as close as you can with out burning your plant .

12. Took R076 advice and moved the light closer. A few hours later the stem started to darken up to a nice green with a brown hue, and the leaves started to turn out from each other. Also added an oscillating fan, and misted the plant with some VERY dilluted B'Cuzz Root, going to see how it reacts tomorrow morning. Here's some more pics (I should be getting a new camera soon):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. #13 madamayo, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
    It loved the root additive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just got an alert that my light just arrived, going to set it up once I get home.

14. My light is here!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

New camera too, so here are some much better pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Congrats,but do not let size of that light fool you. Keep it as close as you possibly can with out damaging (heat) your plant. You can put small thermometer on the same level as your plant's top(try not to go above 82F) and also you can point your fan to blow between plant and light(slow speed) to remove hot air.

16. Finally getting used to this camera. A root has started to peek out from the bottom of the rock wool, and there are two new leaves starting up top.

More pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Super silver haze huh? better put them straight into 12/12 cause they do stretch a lot.

18. After yesterday's lack of growth from both the roots and the leaves, I was beginning to worry about my seedling. Thankfully when I got home tonight I took a look and the fan leaves are beginning to separate from the first leaves that popped out of the seed. It hasn't gotten much taller, so I checked out the root basket and they EXPLODED in growth. Yesterday morning I had what looked like a little white head poking out of the rock wool, and tonight there were 3 roots beginning to pop out of the basket) I can't WAIT to see how they look tomorrow. Misted it with a nice spray of my water/root additive, as it seems to be responding VERY well.

Don't really want to bother with the camera tonight, so sadly no pictures. I'll post some in the morning, hopefully I can get some of the roots.

19. Root is coming way out of the basket, but I'm wondering if I should cut the bottom of it out near the center to let the roots leave easily. Here's some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking about cutting the inner circles out of the basket so the roots dont have to fight through the plastic.

20. Congrats on the root. There is no need to cut any holes ,let the plant to take care it self , when roots grow bigger they will stretch the net , so no need to apply any "extra care"....