First Grow; Stealth PC case!!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by trippyhippy21, Mar 18, 2009.

1. :wave: HI ive been doing some research on this stuff for quite a while now and im ready to grow!

Im doing a pc grow box and have 1 46 watt CFL (2700 lumens) and 2 pc computer fans (intake and out)

i lined the inside with cardboard and painted it white, plan on getting some reflective material in a few days. ive seen people using the emergency blankets from walmart, would that work? i couldnt find white plastic which i wanted to use.

gonna start with 3 plants (in dixie cups to start) with the Organic miracle grow; is this ok?
    pushing for at least 1 female, hopefully 2. im using bagseed which i thought was the best out of my smoke

not sure what to do on the nutrients, any tips?

dont have pics yet but will get some in the next few days! i need all the help i can get please and thank you!!

2. change the lightbulb to a 6500k asap, the 2700 should be used for flowering only. and if possible get a more powerful cfl bulb.....at least 85w
    get that here---->http://www.1000bulbs.com/85-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/9183/

that should fit ok in a pc case.

i hear miracle grow is no good cause they cause nute burn, but if your soil is organic and does not contain any slow release or time released nutes, u should be ok.

things can get pretty cramped pretty quick inside a pc case grow, that is unless you are specifically growing a dwarf strain and seeing as is you are using bagseed, i highly doubt it will be of the dwarf variety, so you will need to implement techniques, fimming, topping and LST'ing and if you can manage to, i would even recommend some sort of scrog set up (screen of green).

im a fan of general hydroponics nutes, but there are alot of nutes out there that can serve you well

good luck with your grow and be safe

Bp:cool:

3. i plan on doing 24/7 for about 2 weeks and start flowering, and i plan on doing scrog

couldnt find the organic soil so i went with miracle grow seed starter, .02 .05 .05 or somthin like that. could i add another 26 watt CFL and be ok?

and could i pick up nutes like that at a home depot or lowes or do i need to find a garden shop?

pics should be up tomorow, thanks!

4. the lighting schedule is great! adding another 26 watt doesnt increase your total lumen output or intesity, my advice is to get the single most brightest cfl bulb that will fit in there, thats why i recommended the 85w, if you look at my sig you will see i did a pc grow as well and the 85w did wonders for the grow, just wanted to pass on what i learned from that. order the nutes on ebay or something or even better go to a garden shop, nutes are neccesary till the 3rd or 4th week anywayz.

5. #5 steviebrutal, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
    Aw man, I love PC microgrows -- they always impress me from the amount of innovation each individual has to employ to enjoy a big yield from such a small space.

I would HIGHLY recommend the ScrOG method depending on the height of your case. You can dramatically increase your yield with a microgrow if you focus on a few things

1) Don't skimp on the lights. You are using CFLs which are not only highly efficient, they are also cheap -- so no excuses for skimping, hehe. I would aim for 8000+ lumens for the entire box (this is speculative because I don't know the dimensions of the case yet). Pay close attention to the spectrum of bulbs you are using. My suggestion would be 4x 27w 6500k CFLs for the vegetative photoperiod and then to switch to 4x 27w 2700k CFLs to finish in flowering. You can always mix spectrums which is actually better for the plants growth composition.

2) LST, LST, LST. This is the hallmark of many growing methodologies, but for PC microgrows it is absolutely critical. I have seen criss-cross patterns used (amongst various other techniques) that can augment the surface area for your canopy-frame. Definitely the way to go for microgrows.

Definitely get on the lights though, man -- It's pivotal.

6. id add asmuch power as you could without it getting too hot.

remember if you add extra exhausts make sure you have sufficiant inlets.

7. im really appreciating all the advice thank u!

im short on cash right now but the paycheck comes in friday so ill deff. be getting a 85 watt. i got the 46 watt at walmart, biggest i could find =/

i still have 2 computer fans i can rig up to if need be. the cups are about 3 inches from the light now. still need to get a temp and humidity gauge along with nutes.

i was thinking about getting a plastic container to go along the bottom and then have the soil spread through out for 2 plants, would this work? i still need to get the size of the box ill have that tomorow

8. ok i started the seeds last night and so far no sprouts. hopefully they will come up in a couple days.

heres my box and soil im using

Attached Files:

9. well the best thing that could of happend did.. on a mistake :smoking:

my DAD found the pc case because light was shining through it. he asked about it and i didnt lie and he told me that my case wasnt "big enough" and that i needed to move them in our upstairs closet and have a mini grow room...(about 2 1/2 wide and 6 foot long)

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

theres one little sprout now and im looking for the others to in another day or two. im stilll going to try and finish this grow in the case just cause its my first grow and want to see if im succesful

should have pics tomorow!

10. your dad's pretty awesome then hah.

11. DAY 5

well today is the 5th day since i started germinating and day 1 for the sprouts. i still havnt got another light cause i didnt get paid when i thought i was. im still gonna finish this grow in this box and hopefully move on to bigger and better things :p

the lights are on 24/0 right now because i havnt got a timer ( getting everything i need this weekend you could help me make a checklist for things i need)

ive kept the soil wet constantly until they sprouted. should i leave them alone for a little while or keep them nice and moist?

i need:
    1.temp/humidity gauge
    2.light timer
    3.better soil ( if i find any)
    4.85 watt cfl

anything eles?

any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

12. DAY 7 :D

well its been a week now and so far i think there looking pretty good. the other one hasnt sprouted yet so i just took it out and put a bag over it to keep moisture in and see if that does anything.

havnt reallly done anything new to them just watered when the soil is dry.

is there any stretching going on?

Attached Files:

13. ok so a buddy of mine gave me another 23 watt to use. i now have 1 42 watt and 1 23 watt. i get paid tomorow so ill be getting some things i need. i only want to veg for about 2 weeks so should i get 4 26 watts and go throughout the whole growth?

i really need some advice quick

ill post more pictures tomorow, there lookin pretty good to me

14. Make sure when you get that 85 watt that it is 6500k because that is what you need.
    =]

15. First, you should decide if you want a static lighting setup, or a dynamic one.

A static lighting setup is one where you aren't ever planning on switching out any bulbs throughout the course of the grow. If this is your plan, you should make sure that you have even distribution of the needed color spectrums. For instance, if you use 5 bulbs -- I would makes sure that 2 of them are 6500k (daylight) and the other 2 are 2700k.

A dynamic setup presumes that you will be switching lights out as needed. So instead of a 2/2 setup -- you might use all 4 lights for a given spectrum for each respective photoperiod. You can also do a 3/1 setup (3 preferred spectrum, 1 less preferred).

Let me know if you want/need further clarification.

16. word up, thats an awesome dad u have! APPRECIATE HIM MAN!, cause my dad would have beat the bejesus outta me

bp:cool:

17. #17 wraughbit, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
    that's awesome man

18. DAY 11

well i got paid and i went out and got some more things i need. i couldnt find the 85 watt so i just added another 23 watt. i also got a timer, bigger pots, scrog screen (unpictured), and set my lights up a little better.

i started 12/12 last night so hopefully well have a female :D

moved them to there perminant homes and now im waiting

Attached Files:

19. cool idea :smoking: if i were you id get that thing upstairs goin asap!