First grow Sour Diesel and XXXskunk (1000w, lots of pics!)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by WA-grower, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Very impressive grow, and job well done. Definetely doesnt look like your first grow by any means. Im very curious to see your yield?!

2. they should be drying and curing in the dark. The light takes away from the THC if you have em in light

3. looks good man, do you plan on trimming it more? still looks real leafy, im interested in the weight.

4. Light was wayyyy too far away, plants were wayyy too stretched. Buds were harvested too early in both grows. I'm sure you noticed how thin and airy they're turning out to be while drying...you probably had a couple more weeks left.

With this next grow, keep your 1000w about 1.5' from the top of your plants, and everyday put your hand on the top of the plant to see if the light is too close - if your hand feels irritation, raise the light until it stops. That's a safe judgement for vegging through early flowering. Good air flow between the light and plants will allow you to keep the light closer, too. So either hook up an exhaust fan and duct to and from your light or point those big fans at and over your plants to move the hot air away. As an added bonus, the wind will make the plants stronger and able to produce bigger buds.

Those two things, dude...keeping the light closer and waiting to harvest until after the plants are ready, and you have an amazing grow. As far as flowering goes, don't start counting your weeks until buds have actually started forming. If you start couting days only when you switch the lighting over you can be cutting weeks away where the plant is in pre-flowering. Thus if you think it's week 8 and time to harvest, it's actually week 6 or so and wayyy to early. Add another 1000w and do that and you have over 10 lbs of dense nugs there.

5. #85 WA-grower, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
    I do keep em in the dark, just had the lights on for pics. Thanks for the reply :D

I didnt realize how leafy these pics make it look. It was trimmed pretty well I thought (nothing to really compare it to) but it looks like there were some spots that got missed :p

Thanks for the reply. I definitely did have some mistakes in this grow and I hope that I can correct them and have a real nice grow for the next go around. Part of my issues were I had wildy different plant sizes, which made light positioning difficult. I thought about trying a scrog type grow next time to keep them uniform. I will definetly keep the light ALOT closer (I plan to buy grow yoyos with my next light like http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=HLLAGY&eq=&Tp= these to help make it even easier)

I did feel that the first harvest was way to early, and again too early on the second. My gut told me to leave them going but I had it all planned out. I did get a scope and most the trichs were cloudy, but not very many amber. The buds are pretty light/airy so im sure thats a by-product of it.

Thanks for the replies all, I will get the yield info out to you guys once its done drying :)

6. congrats man looks like a awesome harvest have fun :smoke: that shit lol:D

7. Final weight, not counting first havest; 10oz. Better than it could have been, worse than I thought. Ive already started on grow2 with some new gear, im already starting to put it together and it will hopefully have some real nice improvements over this. Got some NL seeds, new HPS light, good nutes.

[​IMG]

Overall there another 5 or 6 mason jars full when I finished curing everything.

This grow was fun but I definitely made some mistakes. Next time around I should be able to really change things up and get a better grow going.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Well after reading your last post...I beg to differ about how successful this grow was. I'd say as long as you learned from your mistakes, this grow was 100% successful. Regardless of potential, you ended with ALOT of what would probably be high quality smoke. If you take what you learned from this grow and apply it to your next, the difference will be :eek::eek::eek::eek:. You going to be starting a new journal for your new setup?

Take a look at my two grow journals in my sig. If you look at the first compared to the run I have going now...you'll see how much of a difference it makes to have just one good harvest where you learned everything you need to learn. Keep up the work my friend and the difference will be night and day. Congrats!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thanks Gatson, ill check out your grows.

I will for sure start a new journal, and I have a feeling the experience I learned from this WILL pay off in the next grows like you said. I already just have a much better idea of whats going on, so I will make less mistakes along the way.

I plan to flower a batch of the same stuff I have currently from seed (its been almost 1 month vegging so far.) They are only maybe 6 inches tall. I will start them as soon as my gear gets here this week. Im expecting not a super high yield out of this 2nd grow just because ill be starting the plants smaller. BUT my new beans (NL and Mazar x Afghan) should be here in a week or 2 and ill get them started into a perpetual cycle :D

Im not sure if I should do the grow journal day by day like most do, or if I should save it up till its most of the way done like I did this one.

10. One final bump till I retire the thread forever!

11. good job man

your next round will be even better!

12. wow...looks like a nice grow! I was suprised that you moved them indoors, though.

13. Nice grow. Still harvested waayyyy too early. Could have been ALOT better, its worth the wait.

• Like Like x 1
  14. damn for a first grow your doing quite well. i wish i had the room you do, but summers comming.