First grow Sour Diesel and XXXskunk (1000w, lots of pics!)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by WA-grower, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Sorry for the delay in updates all, I was in Seattle the past few days. (Anyone there, Aquaserene hydro shop is not a very good hydro supply shop!)

Well some of the girls are looking good, bulking up nicely but a couple are just looking shitty. Dying off and looking kinda like the diesel. I cant really figure them out. Temps good, watering is good, no nutes the past couple waters (I might be able to squeeze one more in, I think im about 2 weeks tops from finishing), bugs seem to be gone (2 no-pest strips and some sticky fly paper). Maybe someone will have an idea.

Here is the room layout now that the diesel is gone and I had some more room to bring them closer to the light:

Room rear

[​IMG]

Room front:

[​IMG]

Some of the dying leaves, seems to be 2 different problems

First problem:

[​IMG]

2nd issue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an up close of some nice buds, with some dying ones in the background:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking, hopefully someone has an idea on the dying plants. Right now im 61 days into flowering on these Im thinking another week and a half or so. Most the trichs are looking cloudy but im still not seeing any amber.

Suggestions for the last 1.5weeks? If I have time ill fert again, otherwise ill just keep it water till harvest.

2. First off, great grow! it doesnt look like your new to this.

the curling over of the fan leaves looks like a condition called "the claw" and is usually caused by too much nitrogen. the nitrogen locks out other nutrients and thats what causes this. i wouldnt worry about it at this point, its too late to really do any good.

Your going to need more light to grow that many plants next time. at least double it and preferably use hps. you can keep your mh for the vegetation stage.

Have you thought about hydro? look into deep water culture growing, its simple and really effective. your plants will grow faster and stronger, yield more and finish faster. Its also easier to regulate your nutes.

The plants that look strong should be kept growing for an extra week. the flowering times that are listed on websites are usually a little under the optimum because they are trying to rep their strain as a fast finisher. Give it an extra week, youll see more crystals and more weight.

The yellowing of the leaves late in flowering is typical. The plant is using the energy stored in these leaves to boost its growth before it dies. Again, not something to worry about too much, but if it gets really bad then the plant might actually be sick.

I had some other stuff to say but im high as balls and cant remember lol

Good luck with the harvest, im sure youll be happy with what you get. i know ill be checking in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1000W light wont be enough for that space you think? I probably will be trying to SCROG or somehow keep them down a bit, and keep the light closer so that they dont get as scrawny next time.

I would really like to switch to hydro, im just concerned about the amount of work and I havent found alot of great links on hydro system design and maintenance. If anyone has any I would LOVE to read them!

Ive looked into the DWC buckets but if they arent all attached to a resivoir I think changing the water in 5-10 buckets every 10 days or whatever it takes will be alot of work. Im also concerned with the cost, I looked into some nutes at a hydro shop in Seattle and it was gonna be like 50-100$ per gallon of the different types, and from what I understand you need 3 different solutions to have the complete product or whatever. On top of pH balancers and that sort of thing.

Anyone have any experience with hydro they would share that might help me out here? Thanks!:hello:

Thanks for the reply:)

4. great post +rep

5. Well, the one girl I cut down, the Grapefruit Diesel, is fully cut and dried. Its finished hang drying and I have it curing now. Final dried weight is 50 grams. Not too bad, a little over 1.5 oz. It probably is about 2oz, ive smoked a bit and I didnt weigh all the tiny little buds.

My only 'disappointment' with her is that the buds are super fluffy, not the real nice hard packed dense buds that everyone loves :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. damn, quite a harvest you got there my friend. fluffy ain't bad..looks good to me. :hello:

7. You're using MH for flower, right? If you use an HPS the buds tend to be denser and packed closer together. IMO you did a really good job.

8. Right on :)

Thanks all.

9. I have a deep water culture right now and i can tell you that it works brilliantly! yes, you have to mix up nutes every week and a half or so but its really easy. its like 2 tbls of each chemical per gallon (it says on the bottle how much to use). the chemicals are pricy, but a gallon will last you several large grows so its worth the investment.

If you use large buckets, like those big tubs that hold 30-50 gallons, you can put two plants in each and have enough water to last two weeks or longer. as for mixing up large quantities of nutes, just make a batch of 100 gallons at a time if you have to and then pour it in the different buckets. youll see that it will save you time in the long run.

If i find a good DWC guide ill send you a link.

10. harvest of the diesel looks like a decent amount

i had the same thing with the scraggly buds on my first grow, but only the bottom shoots that weren't getting much light

atleast the buds will cure faster though

peace

11. Your Diesel Looks yummy! :hello: Great job man.

12. mmm nice shit bro

13. Thanks much all for the replies and kind words :)

As far as the rest of the girls, my gut tells me another 10 days or so. Trichs are lookin half cloudy half clear, and a couple amberish here and there. I did a final water with a half str nute, and then ill probably flush in a few days, then cut off the water.

That kinda sucks in hindsight because I think it will leave the girls pretty wet pre-harvest, but im not too concerned about drying time considering ive got some herb on hand:smoking:

14. I wonder if having it go into drying more wet will cause it to cure better? supposedly, the best flavor comes from the slowest drying/curing process.

15. I wont have any way to really compare, but lets hope for my sake thats true!

16. nice looking grow man.

I try and keep PH on the high side during veg (6.8) and slowly drop it down during flower till i end up at around 6.0 at harvest time. This also depends on what your strain likes..

17. Update:

The girls are flushed, entering the final stretch here. I plan to pull them this sunday, oct12. Thats 10 weeks exactly. Still no amber trichs around, but they are all pretty cloudy.

For drying I plan to hang them in the same room as they grew in. Im planning cutting, manicuring and hanging in that room. And keeping the lights off and fans blowing OUT (moving air out, rather than blowing on the buds that are drying).

Hows that sound?

I also picked up alot of the gear to start my mother/clone cab. :D

18. Just posting some final shots of the room. Tonight the lights go out for the last time before harvest. Going to leave them for 2 days in the dark. Ive read back and forth about wether it increases potency. I figure it cant hurt to try :)

Heres the room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the blurriness on the last pic there.

One of the girls is looking pretty sad, might pull her tonight. Ill get some pics of them cut and drying, and then make sure to post the final yeild :)

19. Harvest:

Took about 5 hours to clean the area, cut and manicure the 6 I had left. Didnt have alot of space in the room to hang stuff, so its pretty crowded. Had to take alot of shots to give you a good idea of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of the colas in the middle there, and a few other large cuts also with them:

[​IMG]

Size comparison (box of matches)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From above on the back side:

[​IMG]

I have 1 fan exhausting outside, 1 out into the rest of the basement, and I turn one on in the room for a couple hours each day to help change out the air.

Hopefully Ill have a weigh-in within a week or so to wrap up this grow! Ive already started on pics/log of my 2nd go around.