First grow, somethings wrong.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ipax91, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Okay, so I think somethings wrong. It's been about 3 weeks since I planted these and their growth seems pretty slow. And one of them seems pretty droopy.
    I bought a moisture/light/ph tester off amazon and it said the soil was still moist like 4 inches down. so I haven't watered since friday morning. But I just watered the bigger one, so maybe that will make it perk up. Also theres a brown spot (you can see it in the pics) and I'm not sure what it means.

they're growing in MG organic (switching to fox farms ocean organic)
    and each have four CFLs, alternating on each side (2)23watt 5000k, (2) 42 watt 6500k bulbs.

Can anybody tell me what im doing wrong/need to do? Should I add nutes?

(btw, I've been watering them each every other morning with half a solo cup of water, each.)

The first pic is one plant

the rest are of another (the more droopy)

Attached Files:

2. Miracle grow and overwatering are the issues. Those plants are hurting, i would personally start over with proper soil and watering.... Those plants are seriously stunted and showing signs of nute burn too

3. crap :/ How frequently should I be watering them (normally. not now that they're already over watered)? and they'll be out of MG by this week.

4. Only water fully when needed and they are completely dry, every other day is way too much. Those plants are severely stunted though, so as i mentioned I think you would be further ahead if you just started over.

5. Theyre still green. lay back on the watering and grow those bitches !

6. Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna try and save this batch, just so I can learn from any other rookie mistakes I make along the way. I'll be at least somewhat experienced for my next one. So how much water should that be getting? Weekly watering?

7. Forget about timing like every other day or week and just water them when the soil is completely dried out

8. Don't wait til the soil is totally dry. Two things to do. One, check with your finger about an inch or two down. If it's dry it's time to water, assuming your soil drains well and doesn't hold a lot of water (root rot). Water until you see run off. Two, get used to how your pots feel wet. If you check them and they feel light compared to when watered, it's likely time. There no specific amount to water or how often. Go by your plant's needs. Good luck.

9. This is what I have been doing. I'm thinking my pots may not be draining effectively, or the miracle grow is just retaining too much water.

Top 2 inches felt try as a bone, but the $5 amazon moisture tester says its still wet 4-6 inches down.

10. Miracle grow sucks for growing cannabis. It has fertz that will overdose your plants. Mix your own and you will be much better off

11. Part of the problem with miracle grow is that it has terrible drainage....it may be dry an inch or two down when doing the finger test (which is a poor way of determining when to water btw) but still be a soggy mess down at the bottom. This is why you need to let the soil dry out completely....the weight test works best for this. Use a pot full of dry soil to compare to

12. Plus nutz in miracle grow are time released they build up in the soil and cause burn

13. Agreed

14. Okay so Fox farms ocean mix is set to be delivered Thursday. Will that be better? And how long should I wait before adding my own nutes with water (bio Vega)

15. I started my seeds in miracle grow seed starter then transplanted into FF ocean forest a few days ago and had awesome results. Look at my journal

16. I'm new at this but I would wait till your sure your in vegging stage. (2 or 3 weeks from sprout) Seedlings don't like a lot of nutes.
    I would mix that fox farm with like perlite or something so you have more drainage. That would help with over watering.
    Also flush the soil good like once a week to prevent and lock outs

17. Also I added 20% perlite in with th FFOF soil and it drains perfectly

18. Magoo how long did you leave yours in mg? Did your plants look anything like mine?

19. I used mg seed starter it's not a soil like this. And mine never looked that bad. I have heard a lot that mg is no good. Everything about it is cheap. How old are they again?

20. Roughly 3 weeks? I didn't so much pay attention to the start date because I didn't really expect them to work. I paper toweled a bunch of seeds and dropped them into some soil with water. These two popped up. So maybe a little less than 3 weeks? about 10 days in MG probably?