first grow (sog) advise please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sparkypaul, Apr 16, 2007.

1. I decided to grow my own as i cant seem to get anything thats good to smoke anymore and I opted for the sog method, my problem is the plants keep growing upwards i switched to 12/12 after vegging them for 4 weeks and after 2 weeks of this they have doubled in hight and dont appear to be slowing down, would it be a mistake to top them as i think they are just starting to flower. I have 25 plants in a 4x3 grow space under 2 400w hps some of the plants have made 3ft of hight allready, ideas please as I only have a total of 5ft and they may burn if they get much taller:confused:

2. Tie them down. The stalk certainly isn't as flexible as it was a few weeks ago, but it will bend. Don't try to bend it all at once, pull it over until it feels tight, tie it, then in a couple of days tighten it a little more, repeat as needed.

3. Thanks the plants are packed tight I dont think there is room to bend them, there will be some space when the males are taken out shortly, the other thing is all the flowers are only at the tops if i bend them down will this affect the amount of light the flowers get or is it just the leaves that need the light?

4. Just the leaves man.

Another good thing about tieing down is that your lower leaves get more light, and your lower buds get bigger and you'll still have a big top bud. You'll get a beefy plant.

5. Really?? Is that true? And there's me worrying about tieing the fan leaves so I can get more light to the budsites....I keep worrying that the fan leaves are just getting in the way! :)

6. Get the males out NOW! What are you waiting for?

All green parts of the plant contain chlorophyll thus can photosynthesize thus contribute to the plant's growth. That absolutely includes the buds (at least parts of the buds).

If you tie down tThe tops will bend back towards the light, and more light will get to the lower levels.

7. I am only waiting for them to show thier sex so i can remove them, they have not all shown yet, tied down 2 plants still very flexable as they are the 2 side shoots that are groing up as the main stem was cut off weeks back, thanks for this tip gang:)

8. You really should read up more on SOG, you don't veg them more than 2 weeks to grow SOG.

9. Thanks i see that now, least i know for next time!