First grow - sex and nutes questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by third ey3, Sep 6, 2010.

1. A thanks is due to this forum and those that have posted in it - I have spent hours lurking and gathering information. That having been said...

This is my first indoor grow attempt, started 7/15. Not sure what strain, I used bagseed (only 1 germinated) and am going through this process as a learning attempt. I have 3 other feminized strains about 3 weeks behind, still in veg. So far everything is great, minus a question (verification) of the sex of my oldest baby and any help on improving his (I think, unfortunately...) health.

Veg'd about 5-6 weeks under 104w (4x cfls) of 6500k light 18/6, 2-3 inches away in each direction, watering every 2-3 days. After about 3 weeks, I began watering every other with a diluted orchid fert (30-10-10 diluted in half). For the final 2 weeks of veg, I watered with this mix every time (mistake, I'm guessing). According to the ph meter I have, I'm right at about 7 and have been throughout the entire grow. The soil I used is MG potting soil mixed with about 30% perlite. I hope to get some better soil for future grows (which is another story).

Now for the questions (see the pictures, too):

For about 8 days I've had this thing under 12/12 on a 400w HPS w/Cooltube at ~81F. I've slowed the watering to about every 3 days and have used a 10-30-20 bloom fert diluted in half. As you can see in the pictures, I'm getting some health signals from the leaves. The tips on the older leaves start to show a brownish discoloration, but I haven't been able to tell any other stress signs from the veins or perimeter of the leaves until now. From one of the pics you can see a faint yellowing begin with the lower canopy from the tips downward. In the final pic you can see redness in the center of the fan leaves, not sure if this is an indication of anything. The newest growth has been a solid green, amazing scent, no signs of problems to my noob eye. I'm leaning toward some sort of nute burn, but recognize some signs of N deficiency or maybe magnesium. But I'm totally clueless here, lack of experience and all...

Lastly on the sex. It's been 8 days, and feel comfortable calling this a him. Can anyone confirm from these pics?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any guidance here-

Attached Files:

2. :mad: defenitly a dude

3. I guess a dude is better than a hermie, means its a seed issue not a set-up/irresponsible grower issue. But still, dammit.

4. once you get a nice strand keep some mother plants on 24hr and take clones its way better than starting from seeds

5. oh and if you dont want seeds kill that male right away