First Grow Setup - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by evolutionm2, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Hello Fellow Tokers, greetings from Australia!

Long time stalker, first time poster :)

I've spent the last 3 weeks preparing my first growlist and would love to get your thoughts including what you think would be a good first seed to grow. I'm looking to grow one plant, hopefully a decent size, it would just be for myself.

TENT
    - The Secret Jardin - DS60
    - (60x60x150cm)

LIGHT
    - Viparspectra 450W
    - LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Veg/Bloom

VENTILATION
    - 4 inch inline silent fan (2 speed)
    - 4 inch carbon filter

NUTRITION
    - Flora Series (Hydroponic A+B+C)
    - Calimagic (Calcium)
    - PH Up and Down

SOIL & POTS
    - Coco Coir (70% Coco, 30% Perlite)
    - x1 - 11 Galloon Fabric Pot

DEVICES
    - Digital - Power Timer (for lights to turn on at certain times)
    - e-Pen - PH Tester
    - e-Pen - TDS water tester
    - Digital - Thermometer

• Like Like x 1
  2. Weak lighting for that size tent. Weaker ventilation then I would like also.

3. Thanks for the prompt response killset!

What wattage would you recommend for the lighting?

I picked a low ventilation system based on reviews of the lighting system, primarily based on low heat output. I was probably naive, what cfm intake fan would you recommend? I think I worked out the cubic foot to be around 50-60.

Thanks again

4. #4 killset, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Always go bigger and add a speed controller. A larger fan set up does a couple of things. First it gives you more control for any unforseen heat or humidity issues. Also a larger fan dialed down with a speed controller is quiter then a smaller fan ran at full blast. At minimum turning the air over 3 times a minute usually will get the job done however go larger. Double that or more. I wouldn't even piss with 4" fan and filters.

Leds put off heat and you might be surprised to how much like I was when I bought my 1st. Wattage is a bad way to pick out lighting. 5000 to atleast 7000 lumens a square foot will get you in better shape but par and spectrum are also important. The led you're looking at is very small. Leds also direct most of their light straight down. Multiple lights cover an area like that better. The quality of an led is also important.

5. I’ve got two 300 watt (130 each) and a 600 watt (270) in a 2.5x1.5 setup, generally you buy the light to suit the tent but with led if you get a Dimmable unit you can buy more and still not go overboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Also in led, focus on the ppfd, lumens is more related to what people can see. Ppfd is the amount of par that falls on the plant at every second . Par being the photosynthetic active radiation .
    Youll need at least a 6 inch inline fan I would suggest vivosun 441 cfm. Or an 8 inch for exhaust and 6 for intake, you don't want your exhaust working over time by getting the same size intake.

Skywalker OG & Royal gorilla (smart pot vs air pot)

7. The OP's tent is only a 2' x 2' x 5' - I think his 450w Viparspectra led would be sufficient for one plant in that space - it uses 210 actual watts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sounds like a pretty good setup to me except the electricity bill is going to be through the roof.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. Agree that this looks like a good, small setup.
    Vertical space will be a major problem for a tent only 5 ft high.
    The buckets will be at least 1 ft, the light 1/2 ft from ceiling, min LED distance from plants 1 1/2 ft. That all adds up to 3 ft, leaving you with 2 ft vertical distance for plant growth.
    Scrogging, topping, etc can help, but the resulting stress will slightly lengthen time to harvest.
    Growing auto strains that are known to be short (many get quite tall) might fit. That's what I'd do.

As far as strain goes, indicas for sleep, sativas for day.

10. His light is only pulling 210 watts - it shouldn't be that bad at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks for the detailed response Much love from downunder.

I didn’t think about the height too much, thanks for pointing this out.

I’ve found another tent that is 2' x 2' x 5⅔, only slightly taller. I read that I should keep the w X d, as small as possible To ensure the light hits the right angles, is this true?

Alternatively, I’ve found a tent that is 3x3x6. Would this mean I would need to upgrade my light/ventilation setup?

Thanks again

12. Sorry, about the dimensions. I had it down in cm’s. Everything is upside in the land of Australia.

Glad to hear your small setup is going well!

13. Yes, you would have to upgrade your light by double the actual wattage. Your 2x2 would give your plants about 50 watts per s/f with your Viparspectra 450 which is where you want to be (between 40 and 50 watts per s/f). A 3 x 3 tent would double your square footage and only give your plants 23 watts per square foot. A 3x3 would require at least 400 actual watts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Lol my small set up went well for half a grow, untill I decided I want more and more strains so I upgraded to a 4x4.
    Its a great set up and produced really good plant , but I'm needy haha.
    Not saying you won't like your set up, that's just me.

You should double the actual wattage of your light if you plan to go up to a 3x3
    350w minimum. As long as you stay within 35-50w per sq ft you'll be good

15. I measured my grow space and don’t have enough space for the 3x3 unfortunately.

I’ll have to go with the 2' x 2' x 5⅔. I’m worried though about the height of the tent. Is that enough space to grow an auto? The seeds I’ve looked at say they can grow between 30-100cm.

Based on bkarneaze has said.

The buckets will be at least 1 ft, the light 1/2 ft from ceiling, min LED distance from plants 1 1/2 ft. That all adds up to 3 ft, leaving you with 2 ft vertical distance for plant growth.

Is having 81cm enough vertical height for growth?