First Grow Setup - Oppinions?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wappawappa, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Hey GC, so me and my roommate have decide to try growing for the first time and pretty much have everything worked out except for lighting and ventilation and we were just hoping on getting some oppinions on our setup from other more experienced growers. We plan on growing 2 plants in this setup.

The set-up is as follows:
    -Secret Jardin DR60II grow tent
    - 250w hps light vs 150w hps light w/ cfls vs 90w led UFO light (lights will probably be something for around $150 off amazon or ebay)
    -S&p TD-125 vs 4" Sunleaves Wind tunnel <---- Needs to be as quiet as possible
    -4" 8x12 phresh carbon filter (200cfm)
    -Passive intake
    - Fox Farm liquid nute soil formula
    - Organic soil from local grower supply (not sure of brand)
    - 3 gal pots
    - 1x auto wappa 1x auto sweet tooth

Our main concerns are heat (from lighting) and consequently ventilation, as well as sound.
    Any help/ oppinions on which lights or fan to choose would be greatly appreciated.

Also is it possible to have a fan thats to powerful? I know this might sound dumb, but a buddy of mine said that your fan can cause your tent to implode do to the negative pressure caused by the fan

Thanks again and Smoke on! :smoking: :bongin:

2. Yes you can break your tent with a fan speed controller is the answer 10 bucks amazon and IMO go bigger on your light like 400 hid at min only a few more bucks and the yield will show it

Sent from iPhone 5

3. thanks for the quick reply freeborn :) im just worried that with a 400w hid the temps are gonna be way to hard to control, also should i be worried about the fans i chose (roughly 200cfm) breaking my tent? i also don't want to use a speed controller because i read that they make the fans louder and noise is really an issue for me

4. #4 rhapsodyrcks, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    You will enjoy the Wappas. Heres the two I grew last year...where autos. Not the final result but give you a idea of what they will look like. I had them in tiny airpots and they got 30-40 inches tall. It does not smoke the same as the photo Wappa which is my fav strain outside of OG Kush 18 but a throughly enjoyable smoke

Heres a pic to give you a idea...there the back two plants. I had to harvest them at around 55 day time frame since I was moving.

[​IMG]

5. #5 rhapsodyrcks, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    You read incorrectly that a fan speed controller makes it louder it makes it considerably quieter. Fans without one run at max speed and quite often whatever fan you get is more then what you actually require. I keep my fans on my two tents on low with it and it cuts the noise down by half or more.

Your buddy is incorrect on the implosion thing. Tents are not airtight. Theres all sorts of permeable areas from the zippers to the air intakes. As for noise you can get a muffler but all they are are tubes with egg crate foam in it which you can make yourself cheaply. Another way to cut noise is to put some towels under the fan and over it the air will blow out just fine just drape it over.

Heat has everything to do with air exchange. You will never get the tent lower then room temperature with passive cooling. Active cooling would be like attaching a AC. If the tent is say in a closet will eventually the surrounding air will have exchanged through the tent and increased in temperature. As that happens it just gets hotter. Cool air in hot air out the top. One way is to open a flap at the bottom place a cheap fan facing it. That helps alot or just put your tent in a room. More then enough air to exchange the air. The idea is to get that hot air away from the tent allowing the cool air to come in. Do that and your fine.

6. This is what regular Photoperiod Wappa looks like. Got 3oz dry off her was a simple grow. Paradise Seeds put the pic in there gallery for me was stoked when they did. You can tell its a different plant.

[​IMG]

7. [quote name='"rhapsodyrcks"']This is what regular Photoperiod Wappa looks like. Got 3oz dry off her was a simple grow. Paradise Seeds put the pic in there gallery for me was stoked when they did. You can tell its a different plant.

[/quote]

Nice, that's a massive cola. I have some photo wappas going now. Hope they turn out 1/2 as nice.

8. It should was easiest grow ever and no smell at all. I vegged to 1 foot and it grew to two. The cola was 3.1 ounces.

Heres a link to there site its the last two pics in the seeds part.

The smoke was very very smooth and just a great as there grow journal called it "mental dental floss". Was so sad I grew only one. For my future grows most likely will be Wappas or OG Kush Kush 18.

IMO anything Paradise Seeds or DNA Genetics/Reserva Privada are the best. You will love it.

I was pumping her full of nutes though. I use the whole advanced line up. Don't know if its the best worst or medium but since I have a shit load of it what Im using till its used up lol.

Gallery Paradise Seeds

9. How was the harvest on the auto wappas, and were they a true 65 to 70 days?

10. I believe that I harvested at 55-60 days...I was moving so had to do it a little earlier then I wanted but they turned out fine.

They grew pretty tall.

To me it did not smoke anything like photo Wappa but still very nice. If I grew a Auto again I would give those another run.

I think the tallest was 40 something inches. Grew them in 1 gallon airpots, used foxfarms soil and advanced nutrients.

11. [quote name='"rhapsodyrcks"']

I believe that I harvested at 55-60 days...I was moving so had to do it a little earlier then I wanted but they turned out fine.

They grew pretty tall.

To me it did not smoke anything like photo Wappa but still very nice. If I grew a Auto again I would give those another run.

I think the tallest was 40 something inches. Grew them in 1 gallon airpots, used foxfarms soil and advanced nutrients.[/quote]

What kind of yield?

12. Was bout 2 ounces dry off each. Did not do anything special just let them grew.

13. thanks for all the reply's guys and those wappas look great! i think I'm gonna go with a 250w hps/mh combo but I'm still not sure about the fan, leaning toward the windtunnel just cause I'm not sure that the td-125 will move enough air to effectively cool the tent, any in put would be great!