first grow seeds to clone strategy

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sweetja, Mar 8, 2010.

1. I'm attempting a first grow, and I'd like to end up with some clones, some seeds, and of course some weed.

I got four seeds to germinate in an aerogarden and they're about two weeks along now, doing nicely. It's a fast-growing indica strain called 41 something from the Netherlands. The longest leaves are 1 1/2", and there are like three sets of opposing leaves at right angles, all very close together at the tops of the 2" stems. I've been using the nutrient tables that came with the aerogarden, but I ordered some P-rich "blooming" fertilizer that I guess I should use for flowering. The plants started doing better when I boosted the lighting by moving the light head right down nearly on top of the plants, then I added some extra CFL's. I've got a 90 LED arriving soon (I'm kinda into energy efficiency).

I'm getting the impression from reading here (which I should have done more of before buying the aerogarden I guess) that even though the plants are 6-8" apart in the garden, there isn't enough water in the system to sustain four adult plants, there's about a gallon. Do y'all agree? The light at the top can come off easily, so there's no height restriction. But I'm thinking of transplanting some or all of them to soil.

Question 1 is, given the 1" diameter of the holes in the aerogarden surface, and the possibility of roots tangling up, how big can the plants be before they need to move?

I'm also figuring out from reading here that I won't know which are females until they have been flowering for a couple of weeks. But I also learned that I should try to root cuttings from the plant in its veg state, which I guess means before flowering.

So one option is to cut and root clones of all the plants now, and keep track of which had daddies versus mommies. What a pain!

Another is to take cuttings in the flowering stage as soon as it's clear who is who. It would also be most convenient to transplant then. So you think I could get away with that?

A third option I read about is to put a mommy plant back in veg state, by moving the light back to 18/6 after flowering I guess, or maybe during flowering. You wouldn't want to mess up the harvest though. This seems complicated.

The last question is about making some seeds. I read that a single flower can be pollenated by hand, making seeds only in that one bud. But I didn't find a detailed description of how to do that, and I wouldn't mind hearing if anyone had made this work or had other ideas. Maybe I should take a chance on survival of the clones, and I could seed a whole small plant from my future clone army?

Anyway, any advice anyone can offer will be most appreciated.