First grow! Rubbermaid bag seed.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by swannsonite, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hello all, This is my first grow and this website has been an amazing source of info.

I am planing on growing 4 plants in my container. I have successfully gotten 3 started using a wet paper-towel till the roots were about a cm long then planted into cups of MG seed starting potting mix. The 4th seed has yet to do anything and it looks like it is going to be 3 plants.

Box materials- 36Gal rubbermaid tote, 4 23W CFLs@ 5000k, 2 power strips, 4 PC fans, AC/DC 12v 1.5a power inverter, 2 large windshield sun protectors, zip ties, and weather striping. Still need to add carbon filter and light traps. Still need to get the materials and not to worried about them till flowering.

Originally I only had 2 fans and the temp over the first day got up to 102f!!! My poor plants....Got 2 more fans and moved the fans around now high is 86f low 68f.

This will be day 3 since the first 2 sprouted and they seem to be doing alright. I learned about how important PH was on day 2 and discovered they were at about 8PH... poor plants 102degrees and bad PH rough start. So I found a really cheap DIY PH down on the forums. Battery acid from autozone pure sulfuric acid 4$ and a 1Gal jug of distilled water less than 1$. Added that to water now they are around 7-6.5 PH.

Now they are just growing thinking of getting one more light but worried about temps what do you guys think? Also when is a good time to transplant?

Pics!
    #2 power and speed controll for exhaust fans
    #3 the probably dead seed my dog ate its original paper towel...
    #4 plant #3 just sprouted today
    #5 plant #2 3days old
    #6 plant #1 3days old
    #8 the DIY PH down

Attached Files:

2. Subbed to be a grow buddy your plants are one day older then mine with a similar setup same cfls same amount check out my journal! Your leafs look almost double the size of mine. How often are you watering?

3. Well I ended up watering daily but that was to get the PH under control. Now I will be watering only about every 2-3 days. Recommended sticking finger about 2in down if dry then water till just a few drops come out bottom holes. That is what I have read anyways and will be doing myself.

4. #4 Boketh, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
    [quote name='"swannsonite"']Well I ended up watering daily but that was to get the PH under control. Now I will be watering only about every 2-3 days. Recommended sticking finger about 2in down if dry then water till just a few drops come out bottom holes. That is what I have read anyways and will be doing myself.[/quote]

Yeah I been waterin about every 1.5 days gonna give them a good soaking and let them sit a couple days. They are def growing like crazy mine are about the same as yours now, can you post some pics for a new update??

5. All seems to be going well. No water for plants today. I did move the 2 taller plants about an inch further from the bulbs. Here are some pics at 4days.

#1-3 Plant #1 it has been growing fastest even from seed.
    #4 Plant #2
    #5 Plant #3 2days old

Attached Files:

6. [quote name='"swannsonite"']All seems to be going well. No water for plants today. I did move the 2 taller plants about an inch further from the bulbs. Here are some pics at 4days.

#1-3 Plant #1 it has been growing fastest even from seed.
    #4 Plant #2
    #5 Plant #3 2days old[/quote]

Mine are lookin the same no water for mine until prob tomorrow night one of my plants is really bending the leaves idk what it's doing! My plans are like 1 inch from it the fan keeps burn off tho

7. Cool, how about those pics?

8. The filter I will be making
    DIY filter

I saw a guide for a light trap something like THIS but can not find it now...

9. [quote name='"swannsonite"']The filter I will be making
    DIY filter

I saw a guide for a light trap something like THIS but can not find it now...[/quote]

That is a nice light trap I'm gonna make something when I get my hps for flowering, still trying to figure out my carbon filter

10. Quick update all seems well still don't need to water yet maybe tomorrow. Hopefully my PH meter will be here soon ordered one from amazon. My final seed has still done nothing so just gonna plant it and see what happens.

Plant #1 5days
    Plant #2 5days
    Plant #3 3days

Attached Files:

11. Currently have 4X 23W 5000k CFLs Should I spend 40$ on 4X 42W 6500k CFLs?

12. [quote name='"swannsonite"']Currently have 4X 23W 5000k CFLs Should I spend 40$ on 4X 42W 6500k CFLs?[/quote]

If you got the cash do it more light the better I'm gonna get 2 more and hang them along with my 5000k but even if you just switch them out I'm pretty sure you will see a difference

13. Watered my plants today. The PH was a lil low so I just added regular water this time.
    I could not find any high watt cfls in 6500k but got 1 42w 2700k. I went to dinner and I swear all the plants started to face the new bulb. Maybe it was a coincidence so I turned them away and will see what they do tomorrow.
    Adding that 5th bulb is now pushing my temps up. I can max out the fan speeds and get 85F but they are so loud can hear em 3 rooms away... I need help on cooling. The ambient temp may be part of the problem its around 75. Hopefully winter rolls in soon its been very warm for this time of year.

Pics!
    1. Areal view new bulb stands out!
    2. Exhaust fans they can go very fast but get to loud...
    3. Intake on the bottom. Top fan blows across plants and bulbs towards exhaust.
    4. Plant #1 6days going strong
    5. Plant #2 6days
    6. Plant #3 4days

Attached Files:

14. #15 swannsonite, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    Got my digital PH meter today! Found out my tap water is 7.5 so gonna need to use a lil ph down each time i water. Mixed up batch to 6.5 for next watering. PH is Good 6.5 currently. Temps got up to 90 though... guess im gonna just turn up the fans and live with the noise. Plant #2 seems to have slowed its grow cause Plant #1 is much bigger at the same age. Guess ill just have to wait and see what happens.

Pics
    1. #1 3rd set of leaves looks to be coming in.
    2. #2 not much growth since yesterday

Attached Files:

15. Yours are gettin nice and big mine have slowed down I'm down to 2 lights until I get a new power strip dog chewed mine up lol

16. That sucks man! My dog ate one of my seeds the other survivor died... Your plants should be fine aslong as they have light. Just dont water for atleast 2~3 days.

17. [quote name='"swannsonite"']

That sucks man! My dog ate one of my seeds the other survivor died... Your plants should be fine aslong as they have light. Just dont water for atleast 2~3 days.[/quote]

The plants are doin better, how are yours looking now?? Alot of growth each day it's crazy. Happy thanksgiving

18. #19 swannsonite, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    Bad news today... I have fungus gnats and plant #2 is feeling the pain its got some spots. Also my stupid dog ran in and knocked over plant #1 while taking pictures it looks ok but prolly slow down for a few days. When the soil of plant 1 was really lose from falling over i saw some gnats in the soil. Gonna do some vinegar traps and put some tape around till i can buy some traps tomorrow. Oh and im cutting the cups a lil closer to soil level.

Happy Thanksgiving

Pics
    1. Plant #1 after falling over and losing some soil.
    2-3. Plant #2 left and right leafs showing spots.
    4. Plant #3
    5. the damn gnat i smooshed

Attached Files:

19. I say get a 20oz empty soda bottle, burn a couple of small holes in it with a hot nail or something, Then place a few pieces of cut up banana in it, then screw the lid on, then hang inside or around the area, they will go in for the sugar and can't get out.. Then go pick you up some Neem oil, Then give a good gentle spray all over the plants and soil.. should do the trick.. Not a pro, Just my p.o. buddy.. Good Luck, and Happy Turkey Day!!