"First grow" questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by smokesToMuch, Feb 22, 2013.

1. #1 smokesToMuch, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
    I am fairly new to the growing game, i have tried multiple times with very limited resources and nothing but dead plants, but i recently did the math on how much i waste on weed in a month, and i realize again it would be smart to grow my own shit, so here are my questions

I'm limited on space, as i live in a rented apartment, so my best bet is something like a tent or a grow box, now i found a few on ebay but this one caught my attention
    Stealth Hydroponic Grow Box PC Style Grow Cabinet Complete System All Included | eBay
    and i realize i could make my own box for cheaper but i don't have tools, time or space to construct one (small apartment), my questions is would the box which dimensions are 24"x16"in wide 9 inches deep, be able to hold a plant thru all the stages, Now i know the height of the plant depends on the seed , i'm most likely going to use bag seed from anywhere i can get it.

Attached Files:

2. There are a few plants that will be fine in that kind of space but they are all Autos. Berry Ryder by Auto Seeds is getting some pretty good reviews and it seems to respond to LST as well which you will need to do to keep it confined yet well structured come harvest time.
    Diesel Ryder by Joint Doctor is another good bet, fast growing and nice uplifting smoke.
    In short do a bit of research on LST'ing plants and try and find an auto strain that will respond well to it

3. That setup is low-range. A lot of growing equipment is sold to people who grow legit stuff, something like that might be used to supply your kitchen with fresh herbs and spices. It's like an aerogarden, works just fine but not very useful for supplying a personal mj habit. You'll be spending the better part of 4-5 months growing an ounce of pot.

I would recommend a 2x2x4 tent, 150-250w hps, 4" 160 cfm inline fan, 4" can filter. Built mine for $400 including filter, no tent.

Last pull I got 6 ounces with that setup, one plant in a scrog. Organic soil, water only from start to finish, no chance of fucking it up. It's not a huge amount, but it'll cover personal use, especially if you make a small veg setup for a few bucks to jump-start your next round.

That box you linked is something that a grower might throw together to keep a mother or root clones for maybe $20-$40 tops. (and it doesn't come with a ph/ppm meter)

4. This is more of learning processes for me,I'm not to much hung up on the yield, as much as i am on learning how to care for a plant, thru all its stages, and if all goes well, i will be making my way up to a tent and then maybe to a whole room, but i rather start small with the least amount of money spent,

An is their something wrong with growing autos? do they have a less percentage of thc or something?

5. nothing wrong with auto's, but not-sure's advice is spot on, it would be a waste to start with any thing less than a 2x2 tent. It's the same size as that cabinet pretty much except it leaves a bit more vertical room for things like ventilation, good light (which a couple of CFL's aren't), odor removal, and of course the plants lol. And with the soil not-sure recommends, you can't go wrong either. That cabinet could work but I would not run hydro, the yield would be lower for that space. just my $.02

6. OK well, you said that you waste a lot of money each month on weed, just trying to help you not waste time and money on a grow setup that will punish you with problems and disappointment like your last couple of grows. If you didn't learn anything from that and insist on growing with the absolute minimum, then have at it. The only thing you'll learn with that setup is that you shouldn't have wasted your time with it.

7. #7 Doc-J, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    [quote name='"Not Sure"']

OK well, you said that you waste a lot of money each month on weed, just trying to help you not waste time and money on a grow setup that will punish you with problems and disappointment like your last couple of grows. If you didn't learn anything from that and insist on growing with the absolute minimum, then have at it. The only thing you'll learn with that setup is that you shouldn't have wasted your time with it.[/quote]

Not sure has a point. Lights, tents, fans, and other equipment are tools. Having the proper tools makes any job, in our case growing cannabis, much easier. Look at it this way. Say you wanted to dig a ditch. You could use a spoon, a shovel, or a backhoe. All three will work and get the job done. The guy using the backhoe is going to be more likely to have success.

I understand not wanting to our money in, but I know for a fact that if you can get a plant to sprout you can make it to a good harvest. Having better equipment makes it easier instead of having to worry about which shortcut is causing problems.

8. agreed