First grow questions, ONA Bucket

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mendeleyev, Dec 3, 2014.

1. I know, the title is so cliche and we see it on 50% of the posts here. 
    So I am going to begin growing some Wonder Woman in Coco Coir from feminized seeds. My room is a closet style shower (maybe 2x2x8) I have some good lights, 600W MH/HPS setup. I am wrapping my room in mylar. 

So, for my first grow I thought I would just do the feminized seeds and it would be pretty foolproof. I haven't even germinated and suddenly I am realizing I probably underestimated the smell like every new grower does. I have purchased the items to make an ONA bucket. 

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Wonder Woman enough to say whether or not one plant would overpower one bucket. I figured I would place the bucket outside the shower, the room is really small. 

I live in a quiet trailer park (seriously, it is quiet and I love it. People keep to themselves and there aren't many children). My concern is that my plant may leak some smell outside the house during flower. My shower grow room doesn't really facilitate the traditional tubing with the fans and carbon filters and whatnot. I am looking for suggestions should my Bucket fail me. 

I've heard of getting a big ass box fan and throwing a carbon filter over it. Or even putting a carbon filter on the ONA bucket fan - but that would reduce airflow for the bucket and reduce the ONA's effectiveness. 

Or maybe I am really overthinking it. The only stealth I am looking for is smell outside of my house stealth, living alone is pretty nice. The more I think about this, the more I wish I just bought a tent. 

All suggestions welcome regarding smell or even off topic tips to a new grower. I have a pH meter and all the nutrients and I have someone's feeding schedule to try. I am not terribly concerned about my green thumb skills, just smell and possibly heat/circulation. 

2. It is going to smell.  Ona wont be enough by itself.  Ona works great in your kitchen if you have a basement grow, but will by no means cover your scent issues.  Carbon filter and ozone genny is the way to go.

3. Not a box fan an inline fan, big difference

4. Fair enough, how do you think I should use a carbon filter? Should I just hook up a fan to my window with some Carbon Filter on the fan?

I know the difference, but I am not sure how I would go about using such an item. I don't have a grow tent to vent out of, I have an open room. So as I mentioned above, do I just block my window with a carbon filter and have a fan blow through it?

5. One other thing about Ona....good stuff sometimes at your out vent side but never put it in with your grow or in a tent. It will off gas into your buds in confined areas and can cause a foul taste/oder when you smoke your bud...

6. i would look into planting some good smelling plants outside of your trailer too

7. #8 brixfix, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
    Hang the filter in the room run duct to the fan then more duct out of the room to vent out the air. If your dealing with a 2'x2' area you're going to get crowded real fast. The 600 watt light your talking about will take up most of that. You're going to need to be able to move some air. What kind of hood do you have on your light. Is it air cooled or a cool tube or one of the uncooled ones?

8. you're thinking about the wrong kind of filter I think. Look at that eBay link I posted above. Its a fan filter combo. All you need is some flexible duct work with it. You'll want something like that since you have a 600 watt light

9. #10 mendeleyev, Dec 3, 2014
    I made the mistake of buying an uncooled one when I could have gotten a cooled one for $20 dollars more. I've got fans to blow air around. I checked out that link, I just no longer have that much in my budget unless I really need it during flower.

Edit - I highly appreciate the input, by the way.

10. You can blow all the air around you want with fans But if you don't have a way to exchange stale air for fresh air bringing in fresh co2 and a place to vent the heat your screwed. Thats what inline fans are designed for. A 600 uncooled in a 2'x2' space is going to put off a bit of heat, fans will just stir that heat around but won't get rid of it unless you have a place for it to go

Good luck

11. Well, I have one of those window fans that has two fans to suck in air with one and blow out with the other. That was going to do that work for me while having another fan blow air below the light. 

I'm definitely going to be playing it by ear and learning as I go. Thanks for your insight. 

12. #13 brixfix, Dec 3, 2014
    Ya we see a lot of people with other fans and a good size light. 90% of the time after its too late they realize they should of held off till they had the right equipment, especially when it comes to odor and heat control. but we'll help you out the best we can. Hope it works out for you

13. I've reconsidered my initial knee-jerk aversion to the fan. I watched a video of a guy who just bought the scrubber and didn't duct it at all and claimed his smell reduced significantly. Since I am probably 2 months from flower as I have yet to even germinate, I will probably buy one later, the 6" variety. 

I am confident in my smell situation, now I am just going to have to think about my heat issue. Definitely going to have to play that by ear (by feel I guess). my room isn't enclosed (meaning the shower has a 2 foot clearing over the door). The room is about 7x2x8 total, which is small enough for a 6 " fan to move all the air every minute. It isn't climate controlled like the rest of the house (has no vent from central air) so during these cold months the room will be naturally quite cold so that is going to help. 

Should be interesting. 

By the way, my grow area is literally next to my clothes closet - separated by paper thin trailer walls. Do you (anyone) think I should relocate my clothes when the smell becomes apparent? 

14. #15 brixfix, Dec 3, 2014
    You're still not understanding. The fan and scrubber work together controlling heat and smell. If you buy the scrubber you have to have the fan for it to work. The scrubber will not work alone and the fan helps eliminate heat. The fan will pull the hot air through the scrubber and exhaust it wherever you can get rid of it. So the inline fan is pulling double duty, helping control smell and heat, but you need some flexible duct work. Its not too expensive. The video you watched of the guy not ducting the heat and just using the fan and scrubber, that guy probably was in an area that was open enough to not have heat issues or had a/c running.

15. #16 mendeleyev, Dec 3, 2014
    I was unclear in referring to the scrubber without the fan, I did mean buying the two together. Buying one without the other would be silly. I'll think of something as far as ventilation goes. Perhaps I will just blow it through the bathroom vent out of the ceiling, that seems to be probably the best answer without leaving a window perpetually open or cutting out a hole in my door. 

16. I'm currently doing a dry run of sorts using a mock setup, I've already learned a bit. I've just turned on the light and checked my window from outside, quite a light issue. I have plans to take care of that when I get my mylar in the mail on thursday or friday. Right now my light is just being covered by blankets in the places where I plan to put the mylar. One way or another, I will light-proof the room. 

I am going to see what the heat is like without any fans running then I am going to set up the two fans tomorrow night and see how it feels after that. My thermometer won't be in until friday or thursday for actual readings so I will just be using the "Too hot for me, too hot for plants" barometer. I'll get the inline fan and scrubber then pipe the air out of my ceiling vent. I think this will cover most of my issues. 

I'm hopeful for good results. With all of these upgrades in mind, I will try out 2 plants  on my next grow to see how that goes - Assuming I get this first one to work. 

17. dude your still not getting it. The fan that is used on the scrubber ALSO can be used for ventilation. You put the scrubber at the top of the grow room, take a peice of flexible duct run it to the inline fan. Take yet another piece of duct run it from the fan to another room, attic or outside, just get it away from the grow area. Run the duct out the door if you have to. The fan will suck hot air through the scrubber and exhaust it elsewhere providing the VENTALATION and air exchange needed to grow.

18. #19 mendeleyev, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    Yes, I get that. That is why I said I would use the bathroom vent in the ceiling (Hooking up the scrubber/fan combo with the ducting to the vent). I think I am just being unclear in how I am explaining things. The vent in my bathroom has its own fan pulling air out so I can naturally assume it is being run out of the house somewhere through the top. I'm also beginning to contemplate just leaving my bathroom door open, since my grow room itself is a partially enclosed shower. This would provide extremely adequate ventilation and temperature control on top of having this scrubber. 

My ~18 hour mock run of the room with zero ventilation warmed the room to I would say about 85 deg. F. So I get what you mean about the heat and everything. I really underestimated that. 

I am really sorry if I am bothering you. You are extremely helpful in pointing out the flaws in my thoughts and forcing me to think more critically.