First grow question...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HRpuffNstuff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Hi all,

According to my post count, I'm a newb...but I've been "researching" here for almost a year! I've spent countless hours and gathered some of the best information I've ever read about "horticulture" :) (especially unoit...you seem to have answers to most of my questions)

...anyway. After I transferred my plant to the "box", I decided to let it grow. I'm in no hurry, so it wasn't necessary for me to rush to process. It's now standing 4' tall with white-haired sprouts shooting out all over and half of those turning red. Last week, after reading in here, I decided to give it a trim. Now, it looks great and is relatively healthy. I'm happy, so far.

My question is this...

*With the sprouts coming out as they are, am I damaging my plant for height? In other words, Can I let it continue to grow WITHOUT damaging my plant or should I start the flowering stage?

Any input would be appreciated...especially by the long-timers!

2. Dude, those White hairs turning red ARE the flowers. You ARE flowering.

3. OK...I see what you're saying. I guess I am flowering, duh...LOL (put down the pipe, sir..LOL)

I currently (and since day 1) have been with 24/0 lighting to start. Since I am flowering, should I start the next lighting sequence OR can I continue to let it grow without damaging my plant?

4. you plant is ready to harvest. The red hairs tell you that is ripe enough to harvest

5. Not even close to harvest.

At the node knuckles, I have a small pod measuring about the size of a BB. Growing out of each of those pods, are two long white hairs. After about a week, they start turning red.

I will try to post a pic to make it a little clearer...Sorry for the confusion.

6. yeah man show us some pictures. I think they may be turning Red because of early maturation. You have the plants on a 24/0 cycle.... Plants need Dark period to Burn carbs and sugars. Get Them on a 12/12 right away, I'd hate to see your crop ruined or turned herme because of this.

(edit) I'm not flaming spectre, but a few red hairs doesnt mean its ripe enough to harvest. your plant may be covered in Red hairs by the 5th week, but You should still sit out 3 more weeks.

Canibis is called weed because it acts like a weed. It's entire purpose of life is reproduction. When a mother flowers and doest recieve any pollen in the late stages of flowering, It Gets worried and grows more hairs to try and get trace elements of pollen.

Those last 4 weeks can increase your bud size tremendously.

Also, HRPuff.... You cant use CFL's on 4' plants unless you have several of them at atleast 12'' intervals all around your grow box. (side and underneath included)

7. Yes,
    Unoit is the man. He has taught me everything I know.
    If your plants are on a 24/0 light schedule, then you are NOT flowering. Some hairs will pop up on a 24/0 or 18/6 light schedule after a certain period of time and they are called pre-flowers. This does not mean that you are flowering. It is also, not uncommon for these pre-flowers to then actually ripen and turn brown after a while.

As for your question, you can keep the plant under 24/0 light otherwise known as vegging for as long as you like. In fact, the longer you veg the plant, the bigger it gets and the more bud you have; in theory. This does not work out unless you can provide the plant with a big enough pot. Therefore, you can switch to a 12/12 light schedule (flowering) whenever you want.

8. yea i guess you can call it a pre-flower stage. Congrats you have a female. About the question about if you should switch to 12/12 is totally up to you. How much light do you have, and how much space you have to grow in.
    Good luck

9. I'm not so quick to paint the nursery pink. When he says white hairs are popping out, I'm not sure if he is referring to the stipules or to actual pistils. Please post pics.

10. Thanks for your replies...

You can now click on my "gallery" button in the avatar. These pics were taken at different stages but they give you a general idea. If you'll notice, there is a very close up pic of the "white hairs" I was talking about.

Just so you know, my box is 3'x3'x7' tall. It has 6 CFL's and stays consistently around 94 degrees. It's made of 1.5" thick corregated carboard that is much like insulation and I've used HVAC metal tape on the outside to seal all the seams. The only light loss I get is from the small cracks at the door and through the vent holes. It is a pretty nice box, but it's only big enough for 1 plant. But that's OK, if I can get enough yield, I should be set.

Like the old saying goes, "If you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day...If you teach a man to fish he'll eat for a lifetime".