first grow progress

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by rollanotherone, May 11, 2009.

1. hey guys : ) i'm sure most of you have heard of NORML and high times magazine. well, i went to a gathering they had on may 2nd and WON a plant. YEAH. a fucking plant from NORML and high times...what could be better?

unfortunately, getting such short notice that i'd be acquiring a plant, i didn't have the means necessary to purchase any type of indoor growing apparatus, so i decided to go with a nice au naturale outdoor grow.

again, unfortunately, i couldn't scout for a spot when i got home because it was too dark...so i had to wait until the next day to transplant. got a little droopy : ( ...

but the next day when i returned, after a nice watering and some good old sunshine she started to pick things up. it's been cold in my area lately, which concerned me, but to my surprise it's been thriving as far as i can tell. it's grown quite a few new leaves, and grown a bit. there's actually a light frost that's supposed to be coming tonight...but i went and covered my plant securely, and it's supposed to be very warm tomorrow. it's survived so far with no covering so i'm assuming it'll be okay.

my spots ridiculously secluded while still getting an appropriate amount of sunlight. i built a barrier of sticks around it (hah, that's low-budget growing for you!) but eventually plan on replacing it with some more sturdy chicken wire. i also have a stick for a post, heh. has good soil.

anyways, as my post title suggests, this is my first grow. i was wondering, are nutes necessary? i know some friends who say they aren't, but i don't know how credible of a source they are. also, when i was digging the plot i noticed they aren't ANY worms in the soil where i was digging. would my plant benefit if i bought and introduced some worms to the area? and finally, how's my plant look? i think it's looking great but again, this is my first grow.

the first two pictures are from the day i planted it, the last two are from may 7th. not too much progress since then, except the leaves are starting to look a little better. you can definitely see it's getting healthier though, it looks like absolute shit in the first two pictures, i really didn't think it would make it.

Attached Files:

2. oh, and any other advice is always appreciated as well : )

3. You might wunt to cut the leave thats drooping. Jus on the edges.

4. okay, thanks. when i went to cover it for the mild frost tonight i kind of remember it starting to pick up, but i was in a hurry so i can't clearly remember. when i go tomorrow morning to uncover i'll check.

5. for the frost a few inches of mulch either store brought of man made is fine... nutes aren't necessary if the soil is fertile already.. but it never hurts (unless you use too much)...

are you doing chem or organic?

and adding worms is a great idea... when i used to grow... i added worms to all my pots as a constant source of worm castings...

i wish i could grow now...but thats not an option until legalization (ends rant)

peace and safe growing....

6. yeah, i heard mulch too, but i didn't have any way to get my hands on some on such short notice (found out on the 9' o clock news on a sunday, nothing around here's open), so i just covered it.

going allll natural as of right now, like i said when i acquired the plant i had literally no money, so i just made a mixture of the soil it came in, and the stuff that was there naturally. it seemed like pretty good soil, and the plant has picked up a lot since it was planted. what nutes would you suggest that are completely organic that i can actually purchase without having to make?

7. #7 FortysAndBlunts, May 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
    i would suggest putting lime in the soil, eggshells work for that, in case you haven't already. then i would also suggest putting animal reppellent, slug reppellent and insect reppellent, cause all those can fuck your plant.
    you can make all of those for free, google search them and easy recipes to make those repellents will pop up.

don't overwater, its a huge new growers mistake

and don't put nutrients until the 7th grow week. ( if you are adding nutrients)

oh and btw, your a lucky bastard for winning a plant. i wish i won a plant:(

8. thanks, i've actually never heard anyone say that...i've heard people say like 3rd week and stuff. she isn't looking too great after the drought :(...leaves are a little droopy today, started to brown around the edges...wasn't much i could do about it though. seems to me like it was just lacking sunlight, so when i went to uncover this morning i wrapped tin foil around the barrier i made, hoping it would reflect in some extra sun since it isn't as sunny as i'd like it to be today. seemed like a good idea to me, but could that hurt the plant in any way?

anything i can do to reverse what damage was done?

9. #9 FortysAndBlunts, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
    Yea, its around the 7th week, depending on your plant, it varies. but the average is 7. and i wouldnt use it on 3rd week, thats too soon, it could shock the plant and burn the roots. But when the second set of leaves is fully grown in.

Aluminum will help reflect sunlight, but it makes it easier for helicopters to see.

And your leaves should correct themselves it you just water regularly. and i suggest adding the lime soon to balance the pH.

As for the browning on the leaves, it could be hundreds of things. posting pics would help.

10. alright. i'm not concerned about helicopters, my plant's hidden well enough by trees from an aerial view, even though it gets direct sunlight. i actually don't think there could be a better spot, it's a completely desolate area. the only time i've ever seen people there in the fifteen years i've lived in my house are kids sledding down a large hill in the area (still a good fifteen minutes into the woods past it), and occasionally people will dirtbike or fourwheel on a track my neighborhood built back there awhile ago (again, still fifteen minute hike away from my plant), but that's very rare and there's no way anyone could take any ATV through where mine is, plus you have to actually scale a cliff to get to it.

i'll try and get the lime in today, thanks again : )

11. very nice. And good luck. I'll be posting my grow journal soon, hope to see you there.

12. :eek:

Thats pretty bad ass lol:hello: