FIRST GROW...problem with seedling

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Legalizit, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Cool.. Yeah, the plant structure seems a little more indica than the kush's I've seen.. And yeah il keep you up to date on it.. I was thinking of doing a grow journal with em.. Idk, we'l see.. I know that when I'm seed shopping I like to see a real honest grow with that exact strain so I think it would probably be a big helper for someone.. Maybe il do a couple different ones, one for each strain.. If I do I wouldn't want other people chiming in all over the place so I'd prolly post it all at once and then let the assholes and the good people do with it what they will..

2. Is this clone going to survive? Just by looks alone, what do you think? Been in the rockwool for 4 days.
    IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    Here's an update on the gals. Looking good. Still having problems with calcium deficiency. Getting all the nutes tomorrow. I'm going to buy the flood table and everything next week. I'm going to go with coco coir. My local hydro guy tells me to go with canna coco nutes as well. What's your take on that?
    IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    Don't know why the one is so stunted. The bigger one is the mutant lol.

3. Did you take the clone before you started to flower? It looks like a normal clone (imho) honestly.. It may get a little stressed but my rule of thumb for clones is to give them 2 weeks and if they aren't rooted they're probably not going too.. The plants look healthy man, I mean I can't see them so well from the pics but I don't think your gona have much of a problem. Any issues you might have from calcium def. should be cleared up quickly with some calmag... My suggestion to anyone for cloning would be to get one of those seed starting kits with the clear plastic tops and toss the Pete pellets in them.. ( u can use them, I have hundreds of times but rock wool is better).. Mix a gallon of water ph'd to 6.0 and 25ml of botanicares "power clone".. Take the appropriate amount of rock wool cubes and put them in the tray ( without cuttings yet!), soak the rock wool thoroughly and let it sit overnight... This will actually adjust the ph of your rock wool, it's NOT neccisary but all you can do to speed up the rooting process will lesson the amount of stress on the clone, thereby increasing the growth rate of the clone.. Then take your cutting BEFORE FLOWERING!, very important.. Re-vegged plants CAN be grown but typically have extremely irratic growth patterns and are just funky all around to grow.. Take your cutting, blah blah blah, 45 degree angle within an inch of a node blah blah blah.. Strip any extra leaves from the cutting leaving only the top 2 (or 4 really I guess, 2 will just be small leaves) and cut the two large leaves in half (length wize).. This allows the cutting to focus all of its energy on rooting instead of keeping those 2 big leaves healthy but doesn't stop those leaves from using light for photosynthesis.... Starting about an inch from the bottom of the cutting (where your 45" angle is),Take your razor blade and just scrape the very outer curd of the stem, being carefull to NOT cut into the stem itself.. Just take like a hairs width of the skin off The stem in a couple spots.. I do two lines down the sides of the stem.. This allows the rooting hormone to to get into the cutting quicker and it gives the clone a spot to form roots quicker.. Mix your rooting hormone with water appropriately (or if your using powder this step is just water not water with rooting hormone..) and submerge your cutting about halfway up the stem in the solution (or water if using powder) and let it soak for about 20 or 30 seconds.. ( if using powder this is where youl dip it in the powder.) and then gently push the cutting into the pre soaked/phd rock wool cubes.. Cover and keep them OUT of direct light.. Or in very soft direct light..and keep them warm, like 80 degrees or so.. They love water and humidity..and warmth, but watch out, let them air out for an hr or so every day or they'll mold... If you do this exactly how I just said youl get 10 outta 10 clones every time.. And they should root within 4 or 5 days.. My latest batch took 4 days before I had roots popping out of the cubes and within 8 days I actually had roots starting up the stem ( like out of the cubes..) and they had a full root ball that was about 6 inches long and white as a ghost.. And just FYI, I believe you prolly already knew what I just wrote lol.. I wrote that for any beginners that might keep an eye on the thread..

4. I knew some of that lol. Definitely learned a few tricks here, thanks. I was curious why people cut the leaves. I fed them liquid karma, pro bloom, and cal-mag today. I'm pumped to see the difference it makes. I'll pick up the hydroplex next week. My buds are starting to come together!

5. With all due respect, I'd advise any beginner to disregard a lot of that.

Clones will root whether they take one week, two, or even more.

They can be taken from flowering plants no problem and will grow just as healthy and vigorous as any others once they reveg.

They won't mold if you don't air them out for an hour every day. They can be kept in a sealed bag no problem.

And you can clone in anything with 100% success rate, be it soil, coco, or whatever.

The whole clone thing just needs really scaling back and simplifying so badly. I think there are more voodoo practices relating to it than any other aspect of growing, and that's saying something.

Me? I fill a pot with coco and perlite, water it, cut a clone, dip it in clonex, stick it in the pot and put the pot inside a sealed freezer bag and forget about them for 10 days. Job done. 100% strike rate and no messing round.

6. These steps aren't difficult, even for a beginner.

#1) Soak rockwool in pH'd water to 6.0, preferably with something like power clone.
    (even a beginner should be familiar with pH balancing)
    #2) Cut clone on 45 degree angle and scrape a little of the sides of the bottom.
    (preferably before flower)
    #3) Strip all but top leaves, cut leaves in half.
    #4) Dip in rooting solution, plant in rockwool.
    #5) Put the clone in a warm and humid area under a low watt light.

My friend cut clones during flower, and they are a mess. They're all growing single un-serrated leaves. I can see why it's better to cut during veg if possible, good advice.While it's possible to cut during flower, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm a beginner, and these steps are more than easy and reasonable. Pretty much the norm in my opinion. I don't see any voodoo practices in place here lol. No chanting or anything.

7. The steps themselves aren't complicated. What I'm saying is people tend to wrap them in a load of procedures and rules, a lot of which aren't true, such as they will rot if not aired out every day, won't root after 2 weeks, or clones from a flowering plant are weaker.. etc etc...

Clones of a flowering plant are good as any other once they reveg.

8. Oh shit dantastic, I didn't see you changed your nutes finally! Good deal! I can't wait to see them bust lol.. Youl be happy no doubt!

9. Bobby Beaner is a fuckin genius in my book! ;)
    I added hydroplex to the mix today. I'm so happy with the switch to botanicare. They're looking sexy.
    IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg
    Looks like I gave them a tiny bit too much nutes. Just a little yellow on the tips, so I'll dial the nutes back a touch. They responded really quick to the new nutes. The only thing I need now is some enzymes for my roots. I'm pretty much set though! I'll keep you updated through flower.

10. :). Using cal mag will change the e.c. Of the water, allowing nutes to be used more efficiently.. I.e.- more nutes available for the plants with the same amount of ferts added.. Idk why I didn't think to warn you of that.. Sorry man! My bad.. They'll be fine though, a lot of growers actually do that on purpose to find the max ppm they can use before burning.. Youl LOVE That hydroplex/karma mix! It's gona crank em up like crazy..

11. Cornerstone, the flowering clone thing is a myth propagated by people who either haven't tried it or have but didn't give enough time for it to re-veg. Believe it if you want, it's up to you, but I've never had a plant to this day which hasn't resumed strong vigorous growth if given time to re-veg.

The reason I challenge the idea is because if it's implanted in the thinking that flowering plants are no good for clones, people might be reluctant to take them and in turn lose good genetics of a plant they like. Cannabis re-vegetates given time. Every single time. Like I say, there has never been a plant I have had in my time growing which has not. I don't think it gets any more conclusive than that to be fair.

The only difference between a flowering clone and a vegetating one is the re-veg time you need to afford it.

12. Look at these two clones. Both taken .... not from a flowering plant... but from a bud!

You wouldn't believe me if I showed you the pictures of where these plants came from. I'm gutted I never kept the pictures to show you. I should have.

Picture a fully formed bud, taken and stuck in a pot. Most of it browned up and crispy after a couple of weeks, with just a couple of tiny green leaves. After about 3 or 4 weeks out of the top pops a tiny little deformed shoot... I mean a tiny little gnarly leaf, which elongates from the bud to start its own life.

A week later it's grown a couple of leaves of its own and I cut the bud away from where it came.

Fast forward a couple of months and it has grown, supplied me with five more cuts, which have vegged and here are two of them.

Attached Files:

13. Now I wouldn't advise anyone to use that method, or to wait til your bud is harvested to clone a plant. But it shows what extremes the plant can go to and come back as strong as it ever was.

I could take clones from every single flowering plant in my room right now and show you the results in just a few weeks. The idea that you can't clone from a flowering plant, or that it in any way affects it long term, is totally false mate.

14. Someone will always find the one thing they don't like in a post, and focus on that one comment like it's the only thing that was said. It's not like you're doing a service to beginners by arguing something trivial that is most likely good advice. I will always clone my plants in veg. I would clone a plant in flower if I had to, but it just seems counter intuitive. Why not support the information given, or add your experience with the same situations? This seems to be what this forum is for. Cornerstone has given me some great advice, and I really appreciate it. He's never steered me wrong. My plants have improved from his advice. Do you have anything constructive to add? Or did you come into this thread just to argue? It bothers me to see someone who has nothing positive to add. 7 pages of posts, and this is what you're adding to it....

15. It's all good man, they're barely burnt. It seems a lot harder to burn them with organic nutes. I know what to add next time, just a touch less. Botanicare tells me that cal-mag isn't necessary during flower. What's up with that? I was also surprised how little of the hydroplex is needed. It goes a long way I guess. That's awesome news because it was fuckin expensive lol. I can't wait to post some bud pics!

16. I'm still going to use cal-mag every few feedings. I got this information by looking at the nutrient calculator btw. Says not at all during flower. I don't know whether or not to trust it.

17. #97 TheWatcher, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
    I'm sorry but you're completely wrong.

The undergrowth is what a revegged plant puts out and that is what you have to trim away. There are countless growers who actually recommend using a flowered clone for this reason, because t puts out so many branches and you can select however many you wish to keep.

Honestly, with all due respect, I can tell 100% that you're talking without proper knowledge on this one because you have, going off what you said, seemed to have 100% lack of proper growth in the plants you have revegged, whereas I have been using them for years and never experienced this issue one single time. You are doing something wrong. I don't need to re-buy seeds to compare my end harvest weights.

18. Don't be so defensive. I'm arguing a point which anyone reading can take what they will from. It's a forum, for debate and opinions. We don't all agree. Which is cool. Don't be so touchy about it.

19. #99 Dantastic, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    FIRST GROW...problems with seedling debate. I must have missed that part. I agree, you win the debate. I was pretty sure this thread was for problems with seedlings when I first posted. A place for advice and help from growers. Little did I know it was for debate and opinion.

20. Oh I will keep you posted alright. My buds will soon grace the monitor of your computer lol.