FIRST GROW...problem with seedling

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Legalizit, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ph issue maybe. is your rockwol sitting in your water solution it might not be getting enough o2. have you splashed any of you nuts on the plant. that's just my 2 cents

2. I would suggest switching your medium to coco.. It's easier to use than the pellets..(I think anyways)... and its holds water longer... Your plants are still young enough.. Water culture is pretty advanced for a beginner, I mean p.h.,ppm,Ect is hard for some advanced growers to figure out.. If you switch to coco youl still have hydro quality and speed and youl eliminate a lot of potential issues down the rd. idk.. Just a thought.. And just FYI, I'm definitely NOT saying that what your doing is wrong by any means, nor am I saying it can't be done because it absolutely can.. Hope this helps.. Peace!

3. Oh, didn't see the date.. Duh.. Lol keep smoking right..

4. #24 Dantastic, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    Hey everyone. I'm a first time hydro grower. I have a problem with one of my seedlings. It is deformed, and the deformed leaves are no longer growing. The other set of leaves is though. The healthy looking leaves seem to be growing away from the deformed leaves, almost like they are branching away. What do I do? I am thinking about cutting them off.

5. Absolutly DON'T cut the deformed leaves.. Just because they're a I'll funky looking doesn't mean they aren't serving any purpose. At this stage in the game they need all the photosynthesis they can get and those leaves, although deformed, are still creating that all to neccisary process.. Not to mention, nature has its own way of sorting things like this out.. Let it grow! Shel be fine.. Now when the plant is like 12 inches or so tall than go for it.. If you still feel the need to cut em.. But always remember, Leaves (preferably healthy) = buds in the long run. Don't be afraid to research photosynthesis.. It may give you some more understanding of the plant and it's processes.. Hope this helps! Stay green buddy!

6. Thanks a bunch cornerstone. As long as they won't have a negative impact, I'll let the mutant do its thing!

7. No problem.. And no it definitely won't do any harm.. For future referance keep an eye on the growth patterns.. If it seems to be a recurring factor you may have some bad genetics.. Happens all the time with seed stock, even when it comes from a professional seed bank.. On the other hand, deformed leaves or abnormal growth doesn't always mean It'l be bad.. I've seem some pretty funky looking plants turn out some really good bud.. But Most of the time deformities in seedlings come from either grower error, environmental factors such as insects or poor air quality, maybe even heat from the lights, or it can even be that it had a hard time getting out of the seed shell.. So check for heat especialy, look for bugs like mites or flying insects..if all those possible factors are cancelled out then it should be good to go.. (most likely scenario) I don't think there's anything to worry about.. She looks pretty healthy over all..
    Good luck!

8. Thanks again for the insight. It's given me some peace of mind. I built a grow tent from black and white poly, using pvc as a frame. I have an inline fan and coconut carbon filter for exhaust. The fan pulls air passively from outside through a hepa filter. As of now they are both under a 55w cfl at 4" above the seedlings. The tent is well sealed, and free from bugs. I used a 30x zoom magnifier to make sure. It is hot where I live, so my ambient air temp in the tent is 84 degrees during the day and 70 at night. I used demineralized water for both of the dwc buckets, and have a large airstone in each. I keep the humidity at around 60% with a humidifier. When I planted the seeds, the now deformed one's taproot had trouble leaving the seed. I planted it anyhow. Here's a picture of the other one. Thanks again for the help, any other insight is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. #29 Dantastic, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    Both are the same strain and seedbank as well. I am concerned about my water temperature though. It is 82 degrees in both. I know 68-75 is optimal. I am looking into a reservoir chiller, but they are pricey. Do you think I should use frozen bottles of water to cool my temps?

10. Sounds good to me.. 84 is really a pretty close to prime temp.. Id say that as long as you keep it under 90 your good.. They can handle temp spiking above 90 but if you see that spike you wana do what you can to drop it but sounds to me like you got it under controll.. Your CFl's should be fine at 4" and they definitely look perfectly healthy and green. Id say your doing pretty well.. And judging by the info about the taproot, I'd say that was most definitely the cause. Your system seems good for now, obviously youl want to juice up the light wattage as they get bigger but for now CFl's will do the trick. Nothing but the sun will beat a good old fashioned hps.. Your grow med even looks clean, rock wool has a tendency to grow algae, which is not much of an issue really, but yours looks good and clean.. Dwc has some huge perks and some downsides but over all its probably one of the fastest ways to go from start to Finnish.. As long as you keep the roots well oxygenated.. Always remember! Even though most pro growers will try and convince you otherwise, this is NOT an exact science! Every system is different, every strain is different.. Some strains do better with higher temps/more water/nutes and some do better in cooler temps ect.. I'd always suggest starting from the lower end and adding until you find a prime range for them.. That goes for everything from light, nutes, co2, to temps and airration.. Watch them closely and youl see how they react to everything you do.. Pretty cool process really.. Almost like watching children grow.. If I could offer a suggestion for nutrients, I'd suggest using botanicares pro grow/liquid karma for veg and a mix of their pro bloom/liquid karma and hydroplex.... The hydroplex is an unbelievable bloom booster and the liquid karma is like a steroid for plants, it really makes a huge differance in growth rate and overall Heath.. Youl see the roots grow bigger by the day, as well as the plant itself (of corse).. I've seen upwards of three to four inches of HEALTHY growth per day with that stuff.. I don't care what anyone says, that's HUGE!.. And just FYI to anyone reading this thread, I definitely DO NOT work for botanicare lol.. I've used advanced nutes with almost as good of results I just like botanicare better personally. They're a little cheaper and I think they produce better results when used properly.. Anyhow, I'm goin way too far now :) sorry for the long response.

11. I didn't see the bottom thread.. I wouldn't worry TOO much.. If it isn't broke don't try to fix it man.. I think they look good.. If you find your having problems with the root zone temp you could always try and chill you air ( from your percolator) as well.. Whatever you do, do it slowly, you don't want to shock the plants.. You should be fine though.. Id say your close enough to prime temp.. Don't sweat it...

12. I will give those nutes a try on my next grow for sure. I bought advanced nutrients pH perfect 3 part for veg, and big bud for flowering. I know I could use a broader variety of nutes for flowering, but my budget is pretty low now. I have a 400w dimmable digital ballast with both a hps and mh bulb. I'm going to switch to the mh shortly. I'm just not too sure when to make the switch. I'm concerned about the temperature when I use the mh. I know I'll see a spike in temp. I'm considering an air cooled reflector. My tent is pretty short (5'). I chose kush for that reason. I'm really interested to try those nutes you suggested. Could my plants handle the 400w mh at this point? Should I consider dimming it to 50-75%?

13. First, I'd suggest supplementing you nutes in flower, even with something as simple as jacks classic 20-20-20.. Itl help round out your nutrient base.. A lot of people forget that in flower they still need all n-p-k throughout the cycle.. Granted they need less nitrogen in flower it's stil a good thing to have a full base for them to use.. Most of your "flowering" nutes are mostly just a bloom boosters meant to be mixed with your regular vegging formula. And if you decide to use something like a sugar booster (in soil or pro mix a lot of people use molasses. It can increase your bud size up to like 25%) you can increase your nutrient levels dramatically because the extra sugar boost basically gives them more energy to use the nutes, especially nitrogen..
    Now as far as your lights go, yes they could handle the m.h now... But although blue spectrum is best for thick vegging growth you get more lumens per watt with the hps.. This may sound wrong to you but in my experience it's best to actually have some stretch between nodes, it helps decrease the amount of premature buds and undergrowth youl have in the end, so I'd suggest using the hps all the way through.. You can trust me on this, kush will respond well to it.. Now every kush strain I've ever seen (this may also be contrary to popular belief) is stretchy in flower anyhow so no matter what you do I'd believe youl end up with some stretch in the end.. I've also gotta say, ive seen a lot of reserva privada seed stock and if that's where you got it keep a good eye on it in flower.. They have a huge reputation for being phenomenal but from what I've seen it's a lot of hype with little to back it up.. They're last batch of og kush was HORRIBLE! And il stick by that statement till the day I die..
    Anyhow, an air cooled hood WOULD be a great idea as far as cooling.. Running an air conditioner in the tent would work as well.. But for the size of the tent I'd definitely suggest the air cooled hood.. Proper ventilation will help as well, which it sounds like you've got that covered..
    To minimize height youl definitely want to super crop/top your plants. This is a pretty good video that shows super cropping technique.. Il be interested to see how your kush comes out.. If you get the chance down the rd. post some mature pics..
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhhNJ3sVARU]Super Cropping Bending Technique - YouTube[/ame]

14. The nutes I have are a base set, which I'll feed all the way through. I believe this is correct. I will look into the sugar boost for sure. I'm going to put them under the 400w hps. I'll post some mature pics for you for sure. My plants are critical kush from barneys farm. I'm not sure how they will turn out, but the mix of OG Kush and Critical Mass sounded interesting lol. I will definitely be super cropping them. I've read quite a few posts about running a hps all the way through, so I'll be curious to see how it works. Thanks for the tips. You're the man!

15. Sweet! Ive wondered about Barney's farm.. Il be watching for your pics!.. And your welcome, hope it turns out good for you!

16. Thought I'd post some more mature pics. It's doing quite well.
    IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

17. Sweet man! Look great! They seem to be taking off nicely! Very cool.. Make sure you post some flower pics if you get the chance! Good work!

18. Or actually, at second glance I guess I should shay it looks good.. Both pics are the same plant correct?

19. Yeah it's the same one. Here's the other.
    IMAG0038.jpg

20. Nice, looks good and healthy man.. Very stout! I'm actually placing an order for some of these tomorrow.. And I think I'm gona try some of subcools stuff.. I've heard his genetics are great! Thinking I'm gona go with cheesequake.. I wish I had a few hundred to blow right now lol.. Im racking my brain trying to decide what to order...