First Grow: Please Critique my Equipment Choices

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PG10, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Hi guys. I am deciding what to purchase for my first closet grow. Area should be about 4x4'. This is what I have so far on htgsupply:

Digital Greenhouse 600w OR Lumatek 600W Digital Ballast

-Growbright 600W HPS
    -Euro reflector
    -Growbright 600W MH conversion bulb
    -Dual outlight digital timer
    -Growbright hygrometer/thermometer

Total system cost $320 for the Digital greenhouse ballast or $420 for the lumatek ballast.

1) I know lumatek has a pretty good reputation, is it worth the extra $100? Is there energy savings with it or any other advantage?

2) Regarding the reflector, is the Euro a good choice? I'm considering going CO2 in the future.

3) Mylar, poly or diamond foil? I've heard about mylar attracting dust after a period.

4) 6" Growbright inline fan ($100) or 6" CAN fan ($225), large price difference?

Any other critiques/suggestions/comments welcome. Thanks!

2. I am not familiar with anything but lumatek but I like the ability to dim a bulb for cuttings/seedlings. With the lumatek ballasts you don't need conversion bulbs, it can run both.

3. Well its not clear in your post if that Euro hood is air cooled but you will need air cooled hood if you run Co2 most likely or temperatures will get too high like 90-100. I did a ton of research and looking and decided to go with 6" cooltube and I'm really glad I did. Anyway thought you might consider Cooltube instead of a Euro reflector as it gives the best of both worlds, lights spread and cooling which allows the light to be closer to the plants. Panda Film rocks and its cheap and easy to build with and ya a good can fan for cooling is important.

Best of Luck

4. I didn't know you didn't need a conversion bulb with lumatek; wonder why HTGsupply sells them with them, strange.

The euro hood is air cooled (sealed), you think the cooltube has superior light distribution? I'll definitely consider that, thanks for the suggestion. I'm guessing the CAN fan is a lot higher quality as well?

5. Yes can fan is more durable and higher cfm for light cooling but with higher quality does come higher cost. I think my 6inch was around 170$ and my 8 inch was like 260$ or something anyway. I got them from hydrofarm if you wanna check there website. About the euro vs cooltube I'm not saying cooltube has much advantage on light spread but it has very good light spread. I mainly like them due to versatility in hanging, size and the fact they air cool better than any other hood I have found.

Best of Luck
    :smoking:

6. I've been thinking about just going 1000w given that my limiting factor is space. The setup I'm considering now:

-1000 watt Lumatek ($300)
    -1000 watt eye hortilux ($100)
    -6" vortex or CAN fan ($160)
    -6" Magnum XXXL ($220)
    -ducting, mylar, pots/soil, hygrometer/thermometer

One of my main concerns is heat, but I think I'll be OK given 300 cfm exhaust into the attic. I just want to maximize yield given the area. The magnum is also a beast which might be a bitch working with in the walk in closet, I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for the responses so far guys...any others given my new theoretical setup?

7. So I pretty much know what I want now except for the reflector...for a 4x4 area 1000w HPS, I don't know whether to get the blockbuster or the Magnum XXXL? I know the blockbuster is supposed to be great for 4x4 but I understand that the magnum is very good as well...call me indecisive.

Thanks for any input.

8. I use Diamond film and good luck finding a tape that will work on it (they all let go after a while).

Either use Liquid Nails or a staple gun.

For your sq footage 4' x4' you could get by with a 400 watt rig.

I use a Lumatek ballast and a Agrosun combo bulb in a Cooltube.

9. #9 PG10, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
    I just purchased the 1000w lumatek ballast, 6" vortex fan and 1000w eye hortilux HPS. I'm just stuck on the reflector here now...someone nudge me, I'd like to get this purchased today. The blockbuster is $50 cheaper, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has experience with both.

Diamond film is the aluminum, right? How do you like that?

Thanks for the help guys.

10. Diamond film is the embossed stuff with a "cloth" backing.

Works great, except for the adhesive problem.

Doesn't create any "hot spots".

11. #11 PG10, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
    Yeah, that aluminum stuff looks pretty good. A bit pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for the tips.

Can anyone comment on the blockbuster vs. the magnum?