First Grow Plans/Pains

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WickedRipped, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the grow game, and I'm currently planning starting my first grow within the next month.
    I don't really have access to a lot of space currently, and would like to grow 1 plant in this closet.

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Compact-...
    Would this light be sufficient enough for the space and a single plant?

I am trying to do this on a budget, which is why I'm thinking of just going with that light to get me by until I can either buy a grow tent or build a grow shed. I was just going to velcro some aluminum foil up for now, but would I have heat issues and would I have to create ventilation or would the shutter-like door be ventilation enough?

Attached Files:

2. What's the size of your closet?

3. 3 1/2' x 1 1/2' x 6 1/2'
    Decided to line the walls with paper as I can't paint.

4. Get some Mylar! doesn't cost too much and very effective!

5. Unfortunately can't at the moment, although should I have to do another closet grow (I'm hoping I should have the budget for a grow shed soon) I will most likely go the mylar route

6. You need to go bigger screw one plant lol
    I'm playing though, do you have AC in there?

7. Oh shit thanks for that BGGrass, wish I'd seen it before but already got my light ordered and shit.

Vmacc11, nah, just gonna have a fan, the ventilation from the shudder like door is actually pretty great without letting in a lot of light

8. You gotta figure out a way to have it dark in there. No light leaks. Otherwise you are running a chance of your plants to hermie

9. I am likely going to drape a couple of windshield reflectors on the outside of the door, although I really am not worried about the light leaks

10. Cool. Good luck man

11. Thanks dude, I'm just trying to get myself a decent personal use yield to get me by till my grow shed is ready, I think this'll do just fine

12. mix up an organic soil if youre just gonna grow one plant. might as well be the best bud you can get for the trouble.

13. I'd prefer not to use soil because I already deal with bug problems

14. using organic soil doesn't automatically mean you are going to have bug problems. if anything, the plant health one can achieve with organic soil plus the anti-fungal properties that are present in well made compost would act as its own pest control.

15. You can get bugs in hydro

16. Well, here's an update to my grow room:

I Got the seed in a plastic cup in coco, no nutrients, thing is growing like a champ, even after getting knocked over and kind of out of the soil a little bit. I ended up buying 6 reflective sunshades and used some spray adhesive and got them nailed on one side clamped on the other. Only 65 watt cfl came in so it's been under that but it's sprouted and growing good. Should be able to transplant it into a 5 gallon fabric pot under the 65+ a 250 watt cfl so it should get plenty of light. Got a box fan behind a styrofoam cooler with 3 liters worht ice and a little exhaust fan. Keeps the plant itself about 77 and the area around in high 70s low 80s so it should be good. Gonna try adding in some actually fresh cool air somehow soon

17. So, after the room was hitting the 90s, I had to continue to play with it and in that, I knocked it over again.

I'm ending the cheapo closet build.

I decided to take advantage of Paypal After Delivery so I ordered a Gorilla Grow Lite 2 x 2 1/2 x 5'7 tent.

I also purchased a 4 inch carbon fiber filter and fan with ducting
    A pH meter
    a thermometer/hygrometer
    a more reflective work light for the extra 65 watt CFL bulb
    a timer
    a clip on 6" fan
    and
    A liter of dutchmaster gold grow nutes

I'm hoping the plant survives another knockout of the cup.

If not, I can focus my grow on aurora indica anyways. It's gonna be sweet anyways, and I'm going to upgrade later to a larger size.

18. Here's it is at 11:30AM on Monday, been in the cup 2 days, completely uncontrolled air, and I'm unsure how stable the light is.

Anywho

11920515_1488080464845886_1552903670_n.jpg

Still exciting even though I haven't taken the best care of it. She'll get rewarded soon enough

19. #20 WickedRipped, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
    So if you keep up with my blog, I've upgraded to a 400 watt mh/hps, and now I'm wondering if using the 335 watts (250+85) worth of 6500k CFL I already bought during veg would be worth the time and effort. Also would it be worth it to buy the same wattage but 2700k for flowering time?