First Grow -- Pineapple Express

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by black2green, Jul 24, 2012.

1. It's Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I was using the Fox Farm Grow Big 6-4-4 during veg (actually only used it like three times). The flowering nutes are Fox Farm Tiger Bloom 2-8-4, which she will get her first dose of next watering (I also watered today). I think she would have been 2" taller by now if I hadn't planted her so deep. The bottom branches and leaves are right on top of the soil. Most (or none) of the MJ plants I've seen on here don't have this problem. This and the over dosage of perlite probably also stunted her growth a little, so she may have even been over a foot tall by now. I can't fit a 4' tall plant in the grow closet. If she triples in size within three week, she will be 26" tall, which will start pushing the light much closer to the hooks it is hanging on. I think flowering now is OK, especially since this is my first grow. I can always evaluate later to see just how tall she gets at harvest (I am hoping for 36" max right now), and can veg for longer in the next grow if necessary.

2. I was just wondering because your grow has to be very similar to mine. I think the only difference might be our actual pots and strain. Mine took off like crazy and got 12 to 15 inches tall within 28 days of vegging. Thats not counting the 3 days it takes to spout and pop out of the dirt though. I bought the big bag of FFOF (10 gallons) and mixed in a bag (2 gallons) of perlite so mine is a ratio of 5 to 1 which might be stronger for nutes. I didn't hardly give mine any nutes though until flowering started since I didn't seem to need them. Sometimes when they get big like that, I think thats a good problem to have. lol, you can never have too much weed.

I agree though. Its your first grow. We have all been there. Grow it out and learn from it. This hobby is awesome and quite rewarding at the end if you know what I mean. :smoke:

3. She is looking nice! i can't wait to see updates in the next two weeks as too how she responds. Once she realizes the light is being taken away from her, she gonna jump for that bulb!

4. excited to see the stretch

5. I know exactly what you mean! :D

6. Day 43 Total, Day 3 Flowering

She keeps growing. 10" tall and 18" wide. I guess she is just getting taller, but not wider. She got her first flowering nutes today. I also checked the pH: 6.9, so all is well there. She was looking a little droopy when the lights first came on, but she perked back up a little later. There are also some pistils that do not require a magnifying aid to observe. The longest one is about 1/2" long and on the main stem. There is also a fairly long one on one of the side branches. I put mylar up over the windows and taped the edges down. I also put some sheets in the vicinity of the door. These two steps now allow the room to be almost 100% dark for 12 hours. The only light is the LED light on the smoke alarm. Looking forward to watching her grow and show some more pistils. For the photos, I used 3200K white balance to get the pictures to look at least somewhat realistic without the red/orange getting blown out.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Day 46 Total, Day 6 Flowering

She's still growing! 11" tall and 20" wide. She was looking a little unhappy yesterday until her watering. I think she is just not getting enough water. I will start watering her 1/2gal every 2 days, with nutes every third watering. I *really* don't want to do a transplant to a larger pot unless I have to. We will see. Many of the calyxes have pistils growing out of them now. But, the bud sites (there are 12 of them) are still lacking visible flowering. Based on pictures I've looked at on here, it will be another week before she really starts flowering.

Attached Files:

8. Day 49 Total, Day 9 Flowering

I know I keep saying it, but she is just growing so much faster than she was a few weeks ago. She is now 12" tall and 21" across. In my last post, I said there were 12 bud sites. Now that some of these bud sites are actually looking like they are getting ready to flower, it looks like there is closer to 30 bud sites. It seems every little side branch that has ever sprouted, no matter how small, has this early flowering look at the end. Just the main stem has at least 7 bud sites in the top 3" of the plant. Also, almost all of the calyxes have at least 1 pistil coming out. I hope to get at least an ounce out of her, but I will be ecstatic if I get double that, and it looks like that isn't so far fetched.

Attached Files:

9. Give it about another 10 days and things will start to smell better. :D Looking good so far though. I bet it might start to smell like pineapple soon. I'm just guessing since I have never grown this stain before.

10. Day 52 Total, Day 12 Flowering

13" tall and a few more pistils. There are even a handful growing from the bud sites. She looks so great!

Attached Files:

11. Looks like she's exploding with growth!!

12. Day 55 Total, Day 15 Flowering

It's all about the buds today! The flowering has really gotten under way in the last 3 days. Tons of pistils and even some trichomes. She is 14-1/2 inches tall now, which means she has grown 6 inches in two weeks of flowering. This is a very exciting time. Now, if only harvest could come a little sooner :smoke:

Attached Files:

13. #74 black2green, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
    Day 58 Total, Day 18 Flowering

The flowering is really picking up. I can actually start referring to the top part of the plant as a "cola", because it actually looks like one! You can't even see the top 3" of the stem, because it is hidden behind all the buds. She is 15" tall and 22" wide. I thought she wasn't growing outwards anymore, but according to my previous posts, she grew 1" wider in the last week. But, in that same amount of time, she grew 3" taller. So, I presume that vertical growth is the priority, in order to make room for the copious amounts of bud that is on its way. I took some less clinical looking pictures this time; just for fun :D

Attached Files:

14. There is a slight hint of a fruity smell in the vicinity of the plant, but no smell whatsoever outside the grow room. The carbon filter is doing its job.

15. Day 65 Total, Day 25 Flowering

She isn't getting much bigger; just packing on more bud mass. She isn't looking real healthy. Some of the leaves are yellowing and dying. At first it was just the oldest leaves, and I assumed that the plant was just getting rid of old leaves that weren't performing photosynthesis anymore. However, I have now seen some newer leaves that get plenty of light looking unhealthy. I think this may be a nutrient deficiency, but what do ya'll think?

Attached Files:

16. looks good bro!

17. things are looking great. i'm thinking it's more of a PH issue. are you making sure your nutrient solution is at the correct ph when you feed?

just my three cents. i'm excited to see them shits plump up!

18. I have not been checking, but I will check at the next feeding. The soil pH is currently 6.6 (a little lower than normal)

19. Day 66 Total, Day 26 Flowering

More sick leaves :(. I added nutes a little early, and that seemed to make it worse. I could really use some help here! At any rate, she is still the same size (15-1/2" tall). There is slightly more bud mass today. I noticed one of the smaller colas had some pistils with brown tips. I do not know if this is disease/malnutrition or if harvest is coming soon (this soon???) If I harvested in three weeks, that would be Day 47, which is just under 7 weeks of flowering. The seed bank said it took 8-14 weeks to flower, while a post on another website mentioned 45-55 days. I would like if someone with a good eye could take a look. I am thinking about trying to get a micro picture using the laser pointer method.

Attached Files: