First Grow - Outdoor Veg / Indoor Flower, LED + CFL - Bag Seed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Alatar, Sep 21, 2009.

1. #41 Alatar, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
    These photos were taken yesterday:

veg_plant_57.jpg

Lots of new vegetation. They are getting healthy. They've probably doubled in size in the last five days. Given how small they are, I suppose that's no great feat. It certainly is a positive trend, though.

These girls need names. I'm thinking The Morrigan for the one on the left and Freyja for the clone on the right.

The Morrigan seems to be outperforming Freyja at the moment. You can't really tell that from the images since they share no context. I'll go for a group photo next time.

Preparing to water The Morrigan

coffee_table.jpg

I don't have what you would call a very efficient system.

New expensive toy

hanna_pH_meter.jpg

Flowering Day 58+

You know, I don't even have a recent photo of Hermione. I guess the romance is dead.

Cutdown day is tomorrow, or, rather, later today given that it's past midnight. We'll take a last look at the trichomes beforehand, but I'm pretty sure it's going off on schedule. The sands of time are running out for poor Hermione.

Barney's Farm LSD Seedling

bf_lsd_seedling_1.jpg

The new girl.

Attached Files:

2. our_first_girl_30.jpg

Attached Files:

3. [​IMG]

I brought in a professional hand model for this shot. They're such devas! The lotions, the wipes...

So, the question is, will I make my target of 9 grams of loose, airy bud? We will have to wait and see.

our_first_girl_36.jpg

Attached Files:

4. That's one crazy bud you guys grew! How's it smelling? Looks tasty.:smoking:

Hope it weighs 9 grams.

5. Ha, ha! You know, we may come close to hitting the nine gram target. Our bud-on-a-stick has been drying for 4 days now and I have a tracking number for an electronic scale, so the final tally will be posted pretty soon. Will we hit our lofty goal? All GC awaits the answer in breathless anticipation.

Yeah, who knew weed could be so ugly? :eek::laughing: But thanks for coming in and trying to come up with something nice to say. A decent thing to do. I do appreciate it. Most viewers flee in horror, I suspect.

It won't be much, and, who knows, it may not even be very good, but it will be the first pot that we have ever grown, so I am sure we will enjoy it. And we've certainly been enjoying the journey. Though I have yet to exhibit any talent for growing, I'm having a good time with it. And I have more plants yet to torture! :smoking:

Thanks for stopping by, Buddha.

6. Hey man congrats on finishing your grow! Will be interesting to see how that bud changes colour when curing. Main thing is how it smokes! It may not be the worlds best looker but.. you have bud.. and a good sized one at that!! I have none!! Guess who's shoes I'd rather be in ;). Growing with LED is good fun... I think the growing part of MJ is half the fun anyway :). If you didn't enjoy that then I would be worried! See you in the LED growers group. Peace.

7. I've seen worse, shit for my first grow the buds were nothing but hair and they tasted horrible! Just keep trying and your yeilds will continue to grow, along with your experience. I'm only on my 4th grow now, and each grow and been significantly better than the last. As they say, practice makes perfect.

Yeah one of the best parts about growing your own bud is smoking it. You get a sense of pride when you know that you're stoned on something that you created. Take it easy brother. :wave:

8. Hey guys, thanks for taking the time and for your words of encouragement.

I completely agree. If this was not fun then I would not do it. I already have a job and it's not like it's tough to find weed around these parts. They deliver door to door. Of course, they do charge through the nose for that service. :eek:

And if growing pot was really easy, then it would not be very much fun. Well, it might be more fun for my poor plants. But growing cannabis is not easy. The really accomplished growers make it look easy, but that's because they are really accomplished. If you use the search facilities here to look up grow journals of particular strains or by particular growers, you come across quite a few journals that just sort of peter out. Some of those journals belonged to people who just lost interest in the site, I'm sure, but quite a few of them represent failed grows. This shit ain't easy.

Well, I'm shooting for competent right now. And I'm sure I'll get there in the fullness of time. I'm already making progress. Rather than killing my plants outright, I'm just maiming them now. :eek:

So my mini harvest has been curing for three days and it's already smelling pretty good. I fired up a little popcorn bud the other day. It was a bit harsh, as one would expect uncured bud to be, but had a pleasant, citrusy taste and my wife and I caught a nice little buzz. Not too shabby. :metal:

My scale arrived today, so a little later this evening we will have our weighing in ceremony and we'll post the results. Then it's on to bigger and better pot plants!

Blaze on, fellow LED growers! :smoking:

9. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. nice man, looks good for what you had. you live and learn!

just think, next time will be much better and you know much more. can't wait to see. :)

good vibes-

11. Hey, lusherism, thanks for sending those good vibes my way. You have a good day and a good Thanksgiving.

12. Hey Alatar! Thanks for stoppin by my journal, i came to check yours out yo. You're freekin hilarious, and congrats on the meager bud. i'm expecting a similar outcome from my first grow. Let me know if you're making another journal, i'm down to watch. :smoke:

13. Congrats on the 1/4 oz. I bet you get more from the cuttings. :)

14. Pewlouturbaps, that's quite a unique handle you've got there. Google confirms it. Yet the name tugs at my mind, like I should be able to place it somewhere. Well done. We'll have to think of how to shorten it for common usage. I'm leaning toward Baps at the moment. :wave:

Anyway, Baps (tryin' it out), I'm glad that you enjoyed reading my journal. I've enjoyed reading yours as well. I am confident that you will crush the 9 gram barrier on the first go :D and I intend to read along as you do so. I will be starting a new grow journal soon, and I'll send you a PM when that happens.

There is a lot going on here in the house of Alatar the Blue, but la salle fleurissante is dark and quiet at the moment. I think I'll hold off on the next grow log until I've got some pistils sprouting. But that should not be very long.

Broadside, thank you. I do have high:smoke: hopes for my little clones. They were motoring along nicely and then had a little setback about a week ago. Malnutrition struck like a bolt out of the blue, spreading across both plants with a striking suddenness. :eek: They went from thriving to almost utter collapse seemingly overnight. Or that's the way it seemed to this hapless grower anyway. :confused_2: But some nutes and a few days of foliar feeding brought them back around and now they are looking much better, though scarred by the ordeal, and have resumed their motoring. And they are both bigger girls now than Hermione ever was, so yes, I do expect more bud on the next go round. Soon the LEDs will glow again, and then we shall see what we shall see. :bongin:

15. Hey Alatar!

Congrats on your first harvest! :) How did it go? I'm curious how it smoked and how clean you got it.

Looking at your plant kinda reminded me of my first ever grow, except mine was all cfl and a huge pain in the rear... Anyway our main colas looked pretty similar- all twisted and stuff hahaha. I think they even weighed almost the same too... I got maybe a couple grams more of "popcorn buds" from the bottom, but we used the same stuff as you did man, like almost exactly the same stuff... Still, nothing beats that feeling you get when you finally inhale your own, especially for the first time. I felt so proud, and raising plants has taught me about so much more than plants...

Anyway congrats man- good show! Also meanat to mention- easiest way to tell when to water is to feel the pots by weight... I didn't have to do this with my CFL grow cuz it ran so hot, but I already planned for the same problem you had now that I'm doing LED.

On a side note- has anyone ever tried those blown glass bulb things as seen on tv to water their plants?

16. CFLweasel, thanks for the kind words, man. I'm 7 days into the cure right now. I'm going to give it another week before I wade in with a brand new glass spoon that I acquired just for that occasion. I'll do a little smoke report then. The wife and I did split the tiniest of popcorn buds a week ago. It had a nice, citrus flavour and we caught a pleasant buzz, so the early report is a positive one. When I pop open the jar once a day, it smells dank. Got it open right now... :D

I've read that many times, but I'm just starting to feel it. I think the key is to be hefting multiple pots. That dry pot is light relative to the other pots. That's a much easier comparison to make than your muscle memory of the same pot's previous weight. In other words, watering by feel requires you to first acquire that feel. It's a process. All part of the fun of learning to grow MJ. And it is fun. I'm having a blast. :yay:

I have seen people talking about trying it, but that's all I've seen. I recall some guy rigging up a homemade version to cover watering while he went away for a long weekend.

AskEd has a little irrigation system he acquired at the local nursery for about $10. Hands free watering on a timer. But he's growing in coco coir, which is sort of a hybrid soil/hydro experience. AskEd is an interesting guy and now I find myself talking about him without having ever posted in his thread or exchanged a word with him, which is a little weird. I guess I should go in there and introduce myself.

17. Ala, lol, Pewlouturbaps= Pull out your baps. baps is irish slang for boobs. so, pull out your boobs. I'm a woman, its ok that i say that, just incase some person is waiting out there to go "Lolzorz!11! That;z nawt politically correct!11!1!1". I like baps, even though having a name that means boobs probably is not pc. I can understand waiting for pistils, that's kinda the fun part. I'd like to watch it all tho, just to see how leds do. До свидания!

18. Aha! Now that you deconstruct it, it makes perfect sense and its a better name all around, and a worthy sentiment, I might add. :D I don't know about Baps as a nick, though. Not my normal practice, really, to be addressing some young woman I've never met as Boobs, :eek: and I'm not sure the missus would approve. So you are Irish, then? Really Irish, as in living in Ireland? Or Irish as in American of Irish descent? I fall into the latter grouping, as does something like an eighth of the US population. We are a fecund people. Or are you, rather, simply a cunning linguist? ;)

Yeah, that's what people like to see. "Pull out yer buds" is the more common refrain here on CG, at least in the growing sections. Personally, I get as much fun, maybe more, out of what goes on in the vegetative space. LST and topping and cloning is more engaging than watching buds swell. Now I'm spouting heresy! You're getting me in all sorts of hot water here, Baps. :smoking:

Well, they aren't doing much right now. I veg with a 4 tube, 4 foot long HO T5 light fixture. I do have a clone that insists that it's ready for flowering, and I'm almost convinced, so it's likely that she will flip to 12/12 sometime in this coming week.

19. nah i'm not irish, i'm "american" i guess. i just happened to know this irish guy and he shouted that alot. I dig you on veggie being more fun than flower. Gonna try my first fim job soon. you're sprouting heresy? what in the world is that. i forgot about ur t5's, but it would be sweet to see a led only side by side w/ t5's or HID lights.

I was thinkin of moving one "lady" into flower, just to let her have a head start. at this rate i'mma be chopping on christmas morning, smokeable by new year's. Would nice to have a january plant too.

20. Don't leave out the curing. Give it at least two weeks in the mason jars. Curing improves the flavor, smoothness and bouquet and many people assert that it increases potency, though I do not understand that part.

Spouting, speaking heresy.. stating as fact that which is contrary to accepted dogma.

If you like comparison grows, IrishBoy (to stay with a theme) is doing a comparison grow between two different LED lamps. Rumple is running two ProSource Illuminator 180w Jumbo UFOs in the same space that he normally uses for his 400 watt HPS using a clone of the same mother plant that he has grown clones from time and time again with consistent and very impressive results. He pulls about 10 ounces of bud from a single Nirvana White Widow clone in 60 days total, not including the rooting time for the clone.