First Grow...need some tips plz!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Foley1345, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Yo guys, been wanting to take up growing as a hobby for some time now, and these forums have provided me with the knowledge to get started.

Here is where I stand so far.

[​IMG]

This is about day 3 of the plants growth, and I need to know how it looks. How often should I water it? Is a single 250w bulb enough to start for now? Is a mix of outdoor sunlight and indoor light a good idea? Any other tips or things appreciated! :wave:

2. Ok, the clear glass will eventually have to go. Once you see root growth in the glass transplant to a big pot (the bigger the better). Do not water too much, or too little. Check the soil by sticking your finger about an inch or two into the soil, if its moist, leave alone, if dry, give some water. Do not give it nutrients until its of age (2 weeks or older) or is showing needs for it. Start out with 1/4 strength dose, then go up a little bit after a few feedings, until you are giving it full dose. The 250W bulb is perfect amount of light, but what kind of bulb is it? You can take your plant outside when its sunny for some good strong lighting, wont hurt the plant. When its inside, keep the light as close to the plant as possible without it getting too hot for the plant. Veg the plant until it shows preflowers. Veg it in 24 hrs. of light. Once it shows preflowers, switch the light cycle to 12/12. Youre going to change the type of nutes you give your plant when it starts to bud. They will require more frequent watering as the buds get larger. Temps shouldnt be over 80 degrees farenheit. 75 is preffered temp, at night when the lights are off temps can drop 10 degrees safely. Just make sure it doesnt get too hot when the lights are on. Any other questions you have can be answered in the stickies in this forum and Im sure other members will be more than happy to help you out.

Good luck!!!

3. thank you for the help, im glad you told me about the feeding, i was gonna give it a full dose of nutes tomorrow lol. Haven't gotten a bulb yet, any reccomendations?

4. for cheap and easy lighting i recommend cfl's. 100 watt's of light per plant. IM pretty new though...Someone might could elaborate more.

5. alright cool, i'll look into it a little more.

6. Read all the stickies you can,spend hrs and youll be where you want to be,you wont get any "DO A SEARCH" posts,if ya live in Maui grow that thing on that porch all day,your location,season,RH and temps day and night are all very important to this plant.Looks like your on your way bro.:hello:

7. living in florida, so ut only gets a good 6-8 hours of sun. other than that, about to go out and get the bulbs as well as some good soil. think we have our hands on some nutes and ferts, and plenty of pots to plant in.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/2049531699_e22cfe395d.jpg?v=0

we are going to transplant it later, let you guys know what happens

8. ok, transplanted it into what i hope will be it's final pot. does anyone know any store chains or good places to look for gro-bulbs? we have done some research and haven't found anything remotely close to the bulbs we need. if there are no stores, websites with quick deliveries? right now we are going off of 8 hours of sunlight and the rest of the time under a 50 watt light, which isn't enough.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2124/2049645247_350220919d.jpg?v=0

9. Go to a meijer and go to the lighting section, get like 4 100w CFL bulbs (the =w in normal measurement should be 23-28), get three of those double bulb splitters (1 bulb to 2) and hook all four up to one of those incandescent light reflectors with the clamps. That will be prime lighting for that plant the whole time you vegitate it. And once the plant gets bigger and you care for it right, its roots will fill up that little pot. Rule of thumb 1 foot per gallon. Once it gets bigger and stronger if things work out you can transplant it again into a big bucket or pot. Be very careful when you transplant your baby.

10. ok sweet, thanks a lot for the tips. so i got myself 2 100w cfl bulbs to start, and i made a makeshift-unique grow box. check out the pics and plz let me know if this will work. will it get too hot? tin foil not a good idea? the outside walls of the box are made of foam board, and everything is coated in tin foil on the inside. right now that lamp has 1 100w cfl running on my 1 week old baby.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2229/2053760922_5f62e575fc.jpg?v=0

^ - this is the top down, the height of the box is about 2 and a half feet.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2398/2053760930_44cf92d2c5.jpg?v=0

^ - this is the side view, with the removable roof on. will this roof with ventilation work? thanks, and quick replies if u know anything that might help...leaving this as is with the bulb on in 5 hours, and wont be back for 2 days. thanks guys you have been awesome so far!:wave:

11. ok, i am leaving in 2 hours and here is what i think is my final product.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2308/2054016520_45fdd81cc7.jpg?v=0

^ - this is a shot from above...i decided 1 bulb wasn't what i wanted on it, so BAM cut a hole and numero 2 is in there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2318/2054016524_77f4f38f94.jpg?v=0

^ - this is the whole setup... i have a small fan that is pushing an airflow under the box and it causes a draft out of the top. The plant has minor movement from the fan, which i believe strengthens the stem. how do i look? these shots are about 7-12 days into the grow.

12. Are you sure those are 100W bulbs? Make sure you determine your wattage by actual wattage, and not equivelant wattage. Big difference in the two numbers.

How far from your plant are the lights? They appear to be at least 6" away from the top of your plant. If they are more than 2" (if using CFLs), you are just begging your plants to stretch. This is not a good thing in most cases. So, move them closer if the are.

13. Oh, and ditch the aluminum foil. Not a good idea. You are going to have more problems caused by it than good done by it. Potential hot spots and heat issues. If you can afford it, try to get some mylar. (Can be purchased online, pretty cheap) Otherwise, paint the inside of your grow area matte white.

14. Thanks for the reply. When I get home tonight I will lose the foil, and perhaps the box all together? I saw some great pics of ways to light with CFLs, and looks like I just need a few lamps on it.

The lights right now are about 4-6 inches away, when I get home I will fool around with the operation and see what I can come up with. I went to a lighting store near me, and had a conversation with the guy and we came up with these bulbs. They are a 23 (?) 100w equivelent. Let me know if I need something different, I can always go back!

15. Got rid of the foil, got rid of the box, and this is where I stand.

[​IMG]

^ - that shot is of the 2 bulbs, 3 inches away. fan blowing a slight breeze to keep her peachy

[​IMG]

^ - i came home to a healthy plant, with a lot of growth in her 2 main leafs. I can already see the second set of leaves getting ready to spring up.

you guys think this will work?

16. Hey guys, just wanted to give an update as well as ask a couple questions. Day 8 of the grow after sprouting. I am thinking of trying a Low Stress grow, and I am wondering if this is a suitable height to begin hooking the stem. What do you guys think? As a first grow should i stick with High Stress because its easier?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all three of these pics show its growth, and I think its close enough to start low stress. I am also using 2 CFL's 23w so I think its got plenty of light. one last thing, the leaves look like they aren't very flat. I don't know how to describe it other than they rise and fall in different spots. Did I burn it somehow? Plan on giving its first dose of nutes next water, which is in 3-4 days. Thanks guys!

17. When you switch that plant back to the CFL's, I would at least keep the plant in a corner with white walls and not just out in the open, with this, the light can at least reflect back on the plant.
    Good luck.
    Edit: What nutes are you planning on using?