First grow...need some direction

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by is that juice?, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Hello everyone!

First off let me start by saying this forum is amazing! I have learned a lot thus far since joining earlier this year. I am a first time grower but not first time smoker.

I would keep this grow to my self but have run into a "sticky green" situation. I would love some feedback whether it's constructive or appreciative I'm open to just about any suggestion. I'm on a budget but can acquire some grow equipment given a little time to save up.

Back ground:

Outdoor balcony grow
    Feminized Aurora Indica seeds from Nirvana

Using ffof soil

I started using a 50/50 mix of ocean forest and just a generic bi-mart seedling soil with your typical pearlite sphagom peat moss etc. I germinated using the two plate and wet paper towel method, worked like a charm. Once seed popped and had a root or around 1/5 inch I planned in my mixed soil and lightly watered. The seed sprouted above the soil in about 36hrs. It's been appearing to grow stay every day for about 2 weeks now.

THE SITUATION:
    The plant is not getting enough light I know for certain. Also my wife dropped the plant on the carpet the other night and we had to re-plant it very carefully. I've monitored it for a few days now and it is still growing. My plan is to get this high stressed plant under a florescent vegging light (6500k, roughly 100 actual watts minimum). My main concern is the fact that it had obviously been stretching to reach light, hence the long Stem compared to the leaves, will the plant be able to stabilize growth in the leaves once it's under a light?

I was thinking that this may work or to my advantage in that this it's similar to lst?
    Here is a pic in it's current state: 1377148678765.jpg

Let me know what your thoughts are,
    Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. How old is it?

3. #3 TimeIsMoney1, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    Ouch. How far away is that light, get em pretty dang close to the plant

4. The plant is only growing off of 3-6 hours of direct sunlight I'm thinking the lower end of the range. ..
    The plant is roughly 2weeks old.

I'll be getting it under cfl's as soon as this afternoon or tomorrow..I have 4 more seeds I can germinate if I should just scrap this little guy. I had a bad sequence of events that prevented me from vegging this from the beginning right.
    It's it even worth trying to work with it?

5. I'll post some more pics soon.

6. #6 Herbivore23, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    3-6 hours?!? Ouch!!! Plants store energy throughout the day and release that energy at night. That is not nearly enough time for the plant to store energy for that long of a dark period. If you want to save this plant get it under 1-2 23 watt 6500k cfl bulbs for now and keep it under them 24/7 for at least a week, maybe even two. My plant is only a week older and looks like this. image.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Keep it going, no sense in scrapping and starting over just yet. Stretching, yes. Looks like a solo cup? A bit of a bigger pot, with stem buried a little deeper, say till about an inch below cotyledons, and pop it under 2x23watt 6500k's at 20/4 for a week and you should be ok. Just my thought, however you decide to go about it is up to you. Goid luck, hope it works out for you ;)

8. Well got some lights to put on her for the next few weeks maybe months. Here is a pic:
    1377293523683.jpg

9. They are 23w each, actual wattage, and have an output of 1600 lumens each totalling 6400 lumens. That's nothing compared to the sun estimating it puts out like 100,000 lumens but it will do for now. I'm living in an apartment so I'm going to transition this plant into the storage unit where there is almost no light through the door (for the sake of flowering),

Lastly these lights only put out 5000k for a temp. Home depot did not carry anything brighter...

Cheers!

10. 1377310888290.jpg 1377310899640.jpg 1377310915355.jpg

11. Anybody think I should get rid of the 5ks and get only 6.5kelvin bulbs?

I was think ing about adding one more splitter and running 2 6.5k's so I 'll have 6 bulbs running at a total of 148 actual watts just about maxing out my socket..
    What say you?

12. Well I decided to take back the 5000k 23w bulbs for Sylvania 6500k 23 watt cfls. Had to go to the other big box hardware store to procure the 6500k bulbs and I also got supporters but was one short any way here's the latest set up:
    1377405310227.jpg 1377405323305.jpg 1377405337027.jpg

13. After only 16hrs constant light here's how she looks. 1377463069971.jpg 1377463133945.jpg

14. Aha!! Much better!

15. Alright I must admit I'm a little worried that my plant could be flowering already? At the first node that it had there are little pistol like things growing up.. I know that this is way too early to tell but if it is flowering should I please it with a 12/12 cycle now?

Can I make it stop flowering with constant light?

Am I just seeing new growth out of the internode?

I'll try and get better pics when I can...this picture shows the part I'm talking about coming out of the first set of original broad leaves..ie the biggest leaves at the bottom, where they connect to the stem.

Sorry for my lack of experience but I guess that's why I'm asking.

Thanks,
    1377472914887.jpg

16. Dude ur fucking little plant is not flowering. New growth. Fuck is wrong with some of u people on here

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Wow your so delightful chep. Dont worry the plant won't flower that small.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Chep42 thanks for your input, although a little abrasive I appreciate your straight answer.

Bare with me as this is my first grow.. I only ask these dumb questions because I posted in the absolute beginners section.

Thanks

19. only dumb question is one you dont ask ...or forgot you read earlier... :smoking:

2 plants?

how many cfls you using. im doing a very similar grow. 

-Z

20. Haha thanks Z I've just got the one plant for now..i'd like to learn how to come this plant if it won't compromise the yield. I've got 4 bulbs on it now, Sylvania 6500k 92 total watts.