First grow need some advice (Pics)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DangerouslyHigh, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Ok, I have a few problems here. I don't really know what I'm dealing with this being my first EVER grow. I do have my medical marijuana card so its all legal. Right now I have a 1000w MH for veg and a 1000w HPS for flower (Haven't started any flowering yet.) I use soil that is made at Oregon Constant Gardner (OCG) It was recommended to me by them. I also have some FoxFarm Grow Big and some Thrive Alive B1. I had some mites so i went and got some azitrol, sprayed for them a couple times and they seem to be gone. I check everyday for new bugs. Here are some pics:

This is a small plant. But I don't know what those burn looking things are on the leaves. several of my plants are doing that.
    [​IMG]

This plant is a bit larger but its turning yellow and getting like purple spots in the veins. the purple was worse when the mites were there. its starting to clear up.
    [​IMG]

This plant is smaller but it was doing fine and all the sudden the tips of the leaves turn yellow and start curling.
    [​IMG]

Any advice will help tremendously. Thanks for looking

2. come on people, help me out here. I don't want my plants to die. I'll do some research and see what I can find.

3. it looks to me like your just burning em real bad. plus its tough to get rid of mites, fear them, they are evil bastards that will stick around forever. i'd say flush em real good. also, miticides also can harm the plant worse than mites. if its none of those things, its a deficiency, so some good nutes will clear it up, but id say flush em real good before, cuz it just looks like nute burn to me

4. cmcandrew202

Thank you for the advice. I'll switch to plain water for a couple days and see what happens. I think I need to buy a PH tester. Didn't think bout checking the water.

Anyone else have ideas?

5. Yea just relax if anything your probably just stressing to much. And it looks like a simple case of the burns. Easy to fix. If its not that then.. Uh. Oh...

6. Does anyone think the 2nd pic is maybe just a combo of spidermites and over-watering?

7. Is your soil pre fertilized? If so how long have the plants been growing in it? Have you started feeding aditional nutes to the soil? If so, how long were the plants in the soil before you started feeding?

8. Well, I got them as clones so I don't know about the soil that they WERE in, I just transplanted them ALL into new pots and soil just for that reason (not knowing whats in the soil) When I transplanted them I used Thrive Alive B1 cuz I heard its good in transplanting. So now they are in inert soil and will only receive nutes when I feed them (only using water for a while to see if they clear up.) I didn't really have any scheduled feeding plan, but now I'm thinking I need to have one, anny ideas? Also need some ideas on what nutes are best. All I have now is the B1 I mentioned before and FoxFarm Grow Big.

9. What brand/line of soil is it in?

10. It's not a certain brand it was made by a gardening shop here. They call it #1 soil, I'll call tomorrow and get some more specifics.

11. Well i can only tell you from my experience but I have always used soiless planting medium (or you cn use soil with NO nutrients in it at all). This makes it easier to avoid burn. Some potting mixes have to much N in them for seedlings IMO. Try a neutral mix mixed with maybe 25% vermiculite and then use a fert program. Everybody here will dog me but in the past I have even used that with promix or black goild soilless mixtures, and miracle grow at every other watering (every watering during bloom) starting at week 4. Before everybody rips me, I successfully grew 70 plants of strawberry cough at a time like that and was yeilding around 2.5-3oz a plant. not spectacular yield compared to hydro, but never had any problems either.

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying you should use miracle grow, point is controlling the nutrient levels is much easier with a soilless mixture, even easier if you can find one without any "starter nutes" in it. with a nuetral mix blended with vermiculite (or even sand or perlite) you can feed using regulaar hydro nutes like gh 3 part or AN nutes.

As far as right now, try flushing with ph'd water 3 times the capacity of your pots. I never really have had any ph problems in soil, but then again i never used any real soil lol. Flusht hem, give it a few days, and observe NEW growth for indications as to the results.

ph for regular soil i believe should be around 6.3 but you may want to verify that with others.

12. Thank you for all the great advice. I think I'm gonna go buy a whole Harvest Moon line-up. So when you flush say I'm using a 5 gallon pot, I would water it with 15 gallons of water?

13. That would be a large pot for soil but yes. 3x the capacity of the pot. Others may have different opinions that is just what has worked for me in the past. I am assuming those pots have holes in the bottom to drain right? I am not an expert on growing compared to some of those on this forum, just sharing my personal experience. IMO feeding nutes to prefertilized soil mixtures seems to result in burning and other fucked up outcomes.

14. Hey super. I feel ya. Dont be raggin him. Hes not saying use it because its better, but more use it as you can understand and control it better. I would very much advice this till you are comfortable with testing your limits. ( A few good grows and a prime understanding of chemicals ect.)

15. The soil is indeed NOT pre-fertilized. Yes there are holes in the bottom of the pots. I'm not a complete idiot, I know the generals but since I've never grown before I don't really know what different things look like on the plant itself such as what I posted. Once I learn what the shit is I won't be asking again trust me. Anyway thanks for the help.

16. Don't know if anyones said this but if your plants are turning yellow it means lack of magnesium (high school biology coming in handy at last :) ), so put more nutrients into the soil.

17. I wasn't trying to rip you or anything man.if the soil is inert with no nutritional value you are in good shape. Pics 1 and 3 look like burn to me. A flush and a fresh feeding schedule should fix that. Haven't used those nutes but maybe reduce nitrogen a bit. Start at 50% strength and work your way back up after the flush. If you start to see a burn again just back thenutrients off a little annd keep them there. Pic 2 looks like a mag deficiency maybe... could be related to lockout. Use run off to check ph if you can.

18. It's ok man didn't think you were baggin on me or anything. Even if someone was bagging on me I would prolly deserve it from the lack of knowledge i poses. Anyway I thought the soil was inert but guess it's not.(dumb ass me) I don't have a list of whats in it right now, there were too many things listed by the guy from the local gardening shop, I'll get a list when I go back.

I got a complete set of Harvest Moon Organic nutes, I can list everything I have with a feedinng schedule they gave me.

19. Live and learn lol. Start with a good flush for a coupe days, see if that helps. If that soil did have nutrients in it it could take anywhere from 3-6 weeks (or even much longer) for the plant to utilize them (especially in a 5 gallon pot, that's a lot of soil). I would probably waterfeed them for a few weeks if they don't start showing any signs of deficiency. once they have exhausted all nutrition in the soil start your feeding program. It really is hard to say. Might be a good idea ask the soil supplier how long that soil should be good for without nutes. Most packed soils come with nutes in them good for 3-6 weeks. some have time release good for 6 months. big difference. see what the suppliers can tell you

20. Ok, so I got a PH tester and the new Harvest Moon nute set-up (all organic.) Came with a complete feeding schedule and what PH levels should be at all times. The guy at the store told me if you use the entire line the plant will never be able to get nute burn cuz something about the way the nutes work together the plant will only absorb as much as it needs and the rest is broken down.. I don't know how it works, I'm just trying to recall from what he told me. But something along those lines.

Went to the gardening shop expecting to buy a Ph tester and the Harvest Moon nutes but instead I ended up buying like $980.00 worth of stuff. haha Anyway I got pretty much the rest of what I need to grow. Got my 1000W HPS light set-up for flower, Nutes, PH tester, ventilation/duct work and exhaust fan, partition for the middle of my room to separate veg and flower, thermometers with humidity crap and that's about it.