First grow - need some advice and input

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dr. Natty Light, Nov 10, 2016.

1. #1 Dr. Natty Light, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Hey all, I've been interested in growing cannabis ever since I moved down to Central Fl early this year. I've been following a few grow logs, and believe I have done just enough online research to the point where I am confident to finally start my first grow (since I'm a broke student and I don't have $50-$60 to buy a Q each week). I'll try to keep this post short.

Before I actually order cannabis seeds online, I'm just using a friend's bagseed to "test the waters" to see if I can actually get a plant to grow, and have the ability to store it in an appropriate area. He gave me a bag with about 8-9 seeds, but only 4 of them looked good to grow (dark instead of pale... they're sturdy seeds). I currently have them germinating right now. I started off by placing them in a cup of room temperature water, left them for 8 hours or so... 3/4 of them sank, and then moved them into a damp paper towel placed between two paper plates. I have this setting on top of my PC, which can get pretty warm. It's been about 24 hours so far, seeds still look the same but I've yet to actually inspect them. -- Is this an OK method or should I revise it or go ahead and plant the seeds?

For later down the road, I'll be using a closet to grow in and will use two different spectrums of CFL lights hooked up to a timer until I can afford a nice LED setup, Fox Farms soil, some type of nutrient that will soon be decided, and will most likely use mylar or a cheaper alternative for the walls of the closet. Depending on how much 1-4 females will smell, I may have to convert my PC cubby into a makeshift grow room w/carbon filter.

Has anyone had any luck with growing bagseeds? Is there any other advice you can give me before I get into this? Thanks a lot. I know it's not the "best" way to grow, but it is a way for a broke ass bitch like me.

2. If your walls are white just use your walls not Mylar and if you want to veg 4 plant's your going to be needing a lot of CFL's soon or get that LED quickly. And if you want that many plants you'll definitely want a scrubber but you don't have to worry about that until flower and lots of perlite with your fox farms.

And be discreet don't talk about it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you for your input - My closet walls are actually white, so that will save me some time and $$. I'm not really looking forward to starting at 3-4 plants, but since I have no idea if they're male or female I feel somewhat obligated to try all the ones that germinate. As long as I'm on the right track, that's good enough for me. I'll pick up some perlite and will work out the filter when the time comes.

4. Same here dude, SAME here!!!! I'm a college student and I spend that amount too a week, around that ball park. That's exactly why I decided to grow myself. I'm 1 month into my grow now. About to get a second plant right next to it, an auto alongside my photo. Should both be ready around the same time, give or take.

I'll tell you this - cannabis is a weed! It can survive quite a beating! It's pretty hard not to grow cannabis. I know these guides make it sound a lot harder - but reality is, those guides are just there to give you ideal results. If you want top notch quality bud, that's what you're gonna have to do. However, you can still get bud if you take crap care of your plant (assuming you don't kill it), the quality may be a different story and the yields may also be lower. So anybody c an grow it, but whether you can produce quality bud and large quantities is a different story.

Remember, you will NOT be the perfect grower on the first try, and no matter how much you read up, you're bound to make some mistakes in your very first grow... Don't let it discourage you and keep learning from those mistakes instead of giving up. Your bud will likely still produce even at some pretty bad mistakes. Experience is ultimately what gets the best grow, from what I've seen.

Also, not sure if you know this, but don't worry about ordering them online. Buying cannabis seeds in and of itself isn't illegal. So even if customs sees that you purchased a seed.... nothing will happen. at most, you'll get a notice that your package won't be received. And many places like Herbies will send your seed again in a different method if it didn't get there.

Yes, this is a fine method. However, I'm not sure if you're doing this, but you should also try to keep the seeds in a dark spot while you're germinating them. It's not required, but it helps. A dark, warm spot. I personally used a heating pad when things seem slow and put the glass of water on top of the heating pad and I usually throw a box overtop to make it dark. Within 24 - 48 hrs, you should see taproot. Sometimes it can take longer with older seeds. Don't leave them submerged more than 48 hours, you risk drowning them. But 2 days in water is fine, just don't exceed that. Usually, they'll be done by then in a lot of cases.

You mentioned having a tight budget.... I'm not sure if you know the price of a carbon filter, but it's around ~130 w/ inline fans (which you'll need). The LED I got was only 70 dollars, it was 150W true power. I can grow up to two plants at a time with this. Obviously, the more W you can get, the better and the more yield you'll likely have.

5. Things you wish you knew as a noob?
    read that, and buy a light, you are going to buy one next grow for sure just do it you will get more an better bud, you can do it with CFL but you will spend more money building and buying CFL than you will LED