First Grow (need help and thoughts)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cobb864, Jun 6, 2016.

1. #1 Cobb864, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    The pics didn't work so here's the photobucket album
    Mobile Uploads by Cobb864
    Alright guys, I know these threads may be a bit redundant but I'm just looking for real answers from real growers.

I've tried growing in the past but have always had to pull the plants early and what not hopefully this time it's gonna be a positive ending.

Here's what I'm doing.. Please tell me if I am wrong or right or if this will fail or simply what you think.

Around 3 1/2 weeks ago my buddy threw two mid- grade seeds in a little pot I've got and didn't germinate. I simply just put it under a desk lamp with a florescent compact bulb, have a little fan near it and have been watching. One seed failed. One is growing well.

I since have placed the successful plant into a larger container. Since I don't have the proper amount of lights I'm gonna end up probably putting it outside.

Since then I've placed another six germinated seeds all into the tiny original pot that the first plant was in have been soaking the dirt well and putting the light over the smaller pot too. So far after 2 days none of them have popped up. I figure it'll take another four days or so and I've got some more seeds germinating.

When I move them outside I've got a lot of rabbits in the area. Could I just save my piss in a milk gallon container or a few of them and pour it around the area outside around the plants to scare them off?

& when is a good time to move the plants outside? When are they big enough or whatever if that even matters?

Below are some pictures of what I've got going on throw me some advice please.

Should I move my first plant outside now or give it a while more inside I don't want to shock it by replanting or putting it abruptly in a new environment.

What are your thoughts?

2. Honestly it depends on your out door situation, climate and accessibility to you site.

If you have the right area letting them get direct sunlight will give them a better chance at survival.

Indoor growing takes allot of set up and preparation. Outdoor requires the right place so more info on that is needed.

But looking good so far under your desk lamp.

• Like Like x 1

3. Accessibility to the site is going to be very easy if you catch my drift. However right now, I'll just say I'm located in the Southeast -- the weather is sunny and hot as hell one day and then say maybe two days in a row it might just be supremely cloudy.

I'm hoping that the seedlings I've got going can make it in time and that as the months progress the climate will get better. I'm currently scoping areas that give the best sunlight and have a few in mind.

The watering is going to be the hardest part as no hoses or at access. I'm guessing I'm just going to have to use buckets of water.

I want to keep the currently (and only growing plant I have on the desk lamp a while longer) is that a good idea? What's an appropriate amount of time. I also realize that since I will possibly have four-six seedlings on the way hopefully I'm gonna have to expand the lighting. I can use compact FLs but I dont wanna buy a ton of desk lamps what's the best way to get several CFLs into one fixture to provide light for several plants or what's the best way to go with this?

& speaking on the previous will human piss keep away rabbits?

I hope my plant is at normal growth it's nearing a month and it smaller than some plants that people say are a week old in some pictures on here. Although, in those pictures in one week those plants have their second set of leaves that just seems outrageously fast to me.

I'm also kinda unsure or not 100 percent sure of the stages.

How long is the seedling stage and when does it move to vegetative. I know once in vegetative you can control that indoors and outdoors the later months of summer begin the flowering process.

4. Your plan will cycle.. First it's a seedling and it grows some leaves pretty quick. But then stops for a while while it grows roots then back to leaves... That's normal.

The amount of light and nutrients is a direct relation to the size.
    I would put it outside (if the weather permits) I live in similar climate and my plants are loving the hot humid air and sunlight.

5. Hey guys just an update...

I've keep my first seedling in the container but I'm thinking today is the day it goes outside. Should I plant it in a big ass like 5 gallon trash can for an office and cut holes in the bottom or just put the thing right in the ground. How deep of a hole should I dig.

Not a lot of growth on the first seedling. I've got two seedlings that busted out of the little pot I planted them in but I litterally kinda dug around in there and found them pulled them up and replanted them to be at the top. I think maybe I am planting them too deep as you can see... the first seedling already has it's small set of first true leaves.

As for the first plant its a month old but looks kinda small when should I add nutes to it.

I've got one more seed that germinated and hopefullly another few that are in that same pot that is gonna bust through anytime. Maybe me digging them up is dumb and they just needed more time.

You can see pics on my first post on the link. the last one of the plant is current and then the seedlings....

Thanks guys

6. First I wanna recommend a different germination plan...wet paper towel put in a warm and dark place should sprout in a couple days..I would keep the seeds,seedlings in pots inside till the get a couple weeks old then transplant outside. Depends alot on where you live your environment as far as how fast or nice they grow. I try to do indoor grow I can better control my grows. Nutes are fine if other environmental conditions are right for optimal uptake.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. make sure when you put it outside you shade it for a day or 2...sometimes plants can't handle the transition from indoor light straight into sunlight and will dry out and die. I recommend using some sort of mulch to keep the surface of the soil from drying out by getting hit with direct light ( you want your plants to drink the water, rather then the sun drying it out) .

8. Leaves are a little dry and look clawed and burned at the tips. I transplanted a rockwool clone into some homemade soil containing some perlite. I sprayed a organic insecticide/water/soap solution and an all-purpose plant food spray on the leaves. I also pour a little water soluble fertilizer mixed with water as part of the watering schedule. 13Watt CFL in a 2.5Ft.X1Ft.X1Ft. box. And on a 18-6 lighting schedule. IMG_0156.JPG

Attached Files:

9. Polar --

I have to agree with you I think that this would be a way more suitable form of germination. I used to germinate them this way and it seems to work a lot faster than just throwing them in some water. I actually started the germination for this grow that way and ended up going this route because the paper towel kept getting dry. Although I was keeping it in the windowsill so it would be a little "hidden" yet there it was getting light instead of darkness and it was also being dried out constantly from the heat. *Which is a side-note: as these plants go out doors I'm going to have to be very vigorous with the watering process. I put the tiniest pot outside when my new set of seedling where in the process of sprouting up and it was so hot out that day that the soil would be completely dried out within 40 minutes. As of tomorrow, I'm going to make the switch. Tonight, I received one new seed from a friends sack (I'm just getting them as I can). I'm going to germinate it a paper towel but separately from the ones I have been letting sit in water for longer than a week. Perhaps they will pop this way. I've noticed that they have all sunk and a few were floating. As of today one popped open after all this time when I was almost ready to give up on them.

UPDATE EVERYONE:

So, today I did make the move. I replanted the plant into a nice sized pot I randomly found in the backyard and didn't know I had. I hope it's big enough. I consulted my an old school grower and he said it was but I'm not sure he's up on par. The pictures are up. Well, as of right now there is only one shot. Please everyone be sure to go check it out. I'm going to have more pictures for viewing angles tomorrow. I was in a bit of a hurry today. The photos are in the photobucket link in the OP. Everyone take a look and tell me what you think.

I also took the two little seedlings and put them in my "big" guys old container. Upon transplanting I noticed that the second one (the one that is a bit discolored and strange looking has a very tiny root maybe half an inch or even a little less I'd say. The seed was about to fall off of it yesterday before I took took pics and I actually pulled it off. It came off with ease and I felt it was gonna happen soon but I feel I shouldn't have done so. Does this seedling look okay health wise and should I be worried about the small root? What's up with the color. By the way originally, three seeds that germed (barely cracked) were put into the soil. When I changed the containers I found the "head" or first two leaves and thought it might be an underdeveloped root it was yellow but then dug around and found its root. I have no idea what happened. As far as the other seedling it's root was kinda shocking shy of maybe two inches and its already got it's first little set of true leaves. So, it looks to be the poster child of the two. Went ahead and used the smallest container and planted the seed that germinated yesterday and dropped it in. I hope it does fine and dandy! I've gotta get some of these other seeds to germinate or hope at least the one I got today does and hope my buddies keep on giving them to me very quickly.

Bongsauce

Today I incorporated your method and I thank you for the advice. I'd say it went outside around 2pm and I decided to bring it on in around 6:30pm right before it got dark. Just so I didn't shock it by throwing it in this new environment. Since then it's been in the dark but it got plenty of artificial light earlier in the day. Plus I replanted it into a new pot today as well. I didn't want it to take to much of a shocking to all of these new things occurring. Some good advice sir. What's your input for tomorrow. So far I'm thinking I'm gonna leave it all day and at some point throw it in the shade for two hours and then bring it in for the night one final time. The following day it will be moved to it's actual perm growing area which is known for rabbits. I'm hoping the height of the pot will stop this some but I'm gonna piss in a jug all day tomorrow. I've torn tons of hair from brushes in the house from my girl... gonna add as much of both around the area to scare the little bastards off. Now I just need to get an idea of what to do about insecticide. AND BRO, the mulch idea... GENIUS.. simple.. I don't know why I didn't think of it but it's pure gold and I was sure to add much to the top layer all around the plant because like I said earlier in the post the dirt dries out so quick. Thanks for your input. Stick around and watch the grow and throw any info trust me I need some bros to help.

Skrtskrt-

I noticed recently that the leaves did look a little dry. Also the little yellow burn or whatever just came up about 48 hours ago or so. I figured the dry leaves would be a product of underwatering but then again I thought the burn or yellow spot was from over-watering. So, I was a bit confused. I'm guessing that it's two things. Dryness from the light being too close and perhaps the yellow spot from to much water at some point. If not what do you think and what can I do to correct this? Bro, your grow looks awesome. How many months are you in now? I can't wait to get one of my guys that size. I've also half-hearted tried when I was super young never got far this is the furthest. I can't wait to just see an actual pot leaf in full or a branch. What insectiside did you use cause I need to introduce this to my plant as it's outside ASAP. How often are you adding the fertilizer? With every watering? And would that be daily? How much are you using in ratio to water because that'd scare me I feel like it fry my plant or something but then again I'm green at growing green (lol lame).

Questions -

- What insectisides do you guys use? When is it safe to use them on my plant is it to early?
    - Fertilizer? Nutrients? What brands do you guys suggest when do I start using them, how often, how much?
    - What do you think of the smaller seedling, is it looking poor?
    - Is my plant "normal size" to be around a month along, it might be a little less I didn't time it. Someone just so happened to put and ungerminated seed in that first container cause I like plants and said grow this and I forgot about it and then when it started sprouting I got in to it and love watching it grow day to day.
    - This is more of a statement but I'm gonnna have to directly into the ground past two plant because I can't have the other plants be this visible. I'm shooting for at least 5-6 and hopefully ten. Of course, I'm hoping for a monster yield too.
    -Is the pot I'm using appropriate in size.
    - I've read a lot about topping back in the day but I need to sharpen up. When do you top the plant, when it's on it's either 3rd branch of leaves or sixth? Is it safe to just make the cut or is there a certain area to cut it. I'm gonna do some research but I'm just typing as I think.
    - I read on some site if you do LST you don't cut/top your plants is this true or false?
    - LST in general where do I start how many branches of leaves does the plant need to grow before you do this and do you do it to each branch after a certain branch on the whole plant? Do you do this after you top the plant?

I need to study a little on topping and LST to prep for the future I hope you are all here when that comes.

I wish I had you guys nearby so we could all combine minds.

Any leads on sites or reads or any info you can input about how to, etc on fert/nutes, lst, topping, etc will be helpful.

Also I'm in the Southeast. Assuming I've got 1 plant on it's feet. 1 promising seedling and one that's fighting and more on it's way hopefully soon. I wanna get 10 - do I have enough time to grow properly outdoors or did I start way late. I want to vegetate them as long as possible. What months do flowering start. It'd only take a little brain power to figure this out but I'd rather ask.

Long post but I played in a lot of dirt twice today and got one plant a real heavy start! I'm excited. I'm glad for all the information, you guys are more than helpful and I love this site. Stay posted, keep posting here with me, keep toking and lets see if I can actually for the first time... do what I always gave up on in the past because of some random bad conditions AND... grow a bud of marijuana. I can't imagine holding a big ass bud like I see on this site. I'll feel like I've just won the superbowl.

OUT

10. sounds good.. Usually just a day or 2 of partial sun or shade is good enough to get them acclimated.

When I get a shell stuck on a seedling I try to keep it moist and humid for a day or 2. This will keep the seed shell soft and easier to break out of. I Like to let it try to shed the shell itself rather then messing with and risking damage. If it hasn't fallen off in about a day or 2, I gently pry it off...this is where keeping it moist and humid helps alot. I usually just mist it and put a tiny dome over it during that period.

When you will need nutes depends on the soil you plant it into and the size. The plant will let you know when it needs nutes when the leaves start to turn yellow ( or other discolorations) from the bottom up.

good luck with the rabbits...sometimes at hunting stores you can find wild animal urine. Use some that's from a predator and it might help with the rabbits...and mice too.

11. I was talking about mine lol. But I'm using a random organic insecticide I used to use in my vegetable garden. As for fertilizer I suggest every 1-3 months depending on the soil and mostly your plant. And definitely not daily that can cause a number of problems including overwatering, root rot, etc. Put about a teaspoon of fert. in a gallon of water. And I'm a firm supporter of topping if you have a small grow lol.