First Grow - Need Advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by La Chimney, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I have a grow box just over 5ft tall, 19in wide, and 21in deep. After browsing through the forums ive decided to put a few 25 watt+ CFLs in it, rather than 2 85 watt bulbs.

My question is, would having more bulbs, but smaller, cause more heat?

I plan on putting the box in my garage, so it's usually warm in there anyways.

Thank you.

2. how many plants are you planning on growing?

3. I dont know the exact answer, but more bulbs are usually better than two biggies, so its def fine, yea also if your growing more than one plant thats not nearly enough light :/.... if your grow space is small try to have 100-200 actual watts per plant, if its bigger than ur plants have it at 50 actual watts per sqaure foot.... you have rougly 10 square feet so ur going to watt alllloooot more light.

4. #4 BYOweed, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    CFL plant to actual wattage ratio:

1 Plant- 100w-150w
    2 Plants- 150w-200w
    3 Plants- 200w-300w

The second amount of wattage is what I recommend

Any extra plants and you should change your lighting setup to HID in my opinion.

Keep in mind the more light the better, as long as your setup does not get too hot.

5. .... for 3 plants ur gna want more than 250... and because of how big the OPs grow box is alot of the light will dissapate

6. #6 BYOweed, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    I have to disagree with you on that.

One plant needs a minimum of 100 actual watts.
    It's an additional 50-75 for each extra plant since plants can share the light.

And if the grow box your using, La Chimney, has reflective mylar or is pure white the light will have an easier time reflecting back. Thus making best use of the light present.

7. .... if he has mylar or anything refelective i agree... it also depends on the placement of the lights if he places them on the top and has no reflective thing... then light will dissapate... and honestly your aamount of light would work but for the most part morelight equals more yield.... so i dont think it hurts

8. How hot does your garage get.

9. My recent post does say the more light the better. The chart is for minimal wattage, as the grower seems to be just starting out with a low budget

10. ok man .. i didnt mean to be aggresive... just trying to help OP get the best biggest colas he can

11. And as far as heat goes, there will probably be little difference since CFL's are one of the best ways of light with minimal heat issues. I like using the 40-42 actual watt CFL's, barely any more heat than the 25 watt CFL's and its almost double the amount of wattage.

12. Haha no one's getting aggressive;)
    Just putting in my 2 cents