First grow, micro stealth scrog? cabinet under construction...

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by glaciergrowroom, Mar 14, 2012.

1. [quote name='"DyeNasty"']switch it so the fan is sucking the air out of the box and blowing it into the room, understand?
    passive air intake works best, the fan doesnt have to work as hard...[/quote]

Yes. I had originally planned to have it that way but I got excited about my seeds and spaced out. I flipped the fan. I don't think it needs a filter yet? does the mother get potent enough to require a filter? The temp in the cab after flipping the fan is slightly less than 80. The sprouted one is a bright forest green. Four leaves already. The other one has yet to sprout.

2. you might need some sort of filter for a mum, my one little plant in veg is startin to get pretty stinky,

3. Here's the baby. She just sprouted two days ago. http://i.imgur.com/Hw3WT.jpg
    Pineapple Express (fem)

Here's my other, she's three days older.
    http://i.imgur.com/bw05f.jpg
    White Widow (fem)

So this grow is underway. All the big stuff is complete on the cabinet. Planning to veg a month and then hopefully take some cuttings to make clones in my home made bubble bucket cloner. I am going to build another cabinet the same size for flowering. 30"x24"x11" I want to get my hands on a 150w HPS light. Not sure if it's gonna be a sunburst grow light or go the cheap hardware store route. Those are only $50-$60 vs. $100+. I'm waiting till they the younger one is at two weeks and then I'll start nutes.

Oh yeah, my temps are in the high 70's. My high has been 80 the past few days and my temp at night gets to 62. During the day it sits about 20% humidity. Do these temps sound okay? I have no problem adding a fan, or two. :)

4. [quote name='"DyeNasty"']you might need some sort of filter for a mum, my one little plant in veg is startin to get pretty stinky,[/quote]

Alright cool. I have a spot for a filter I made, but didn't install it yet. The consensus is that air should be pulled through the filter not pushed through. So I may need to rethink how to do it.

5. [quote name='"DyeNasty"']

ya, you dont see many people using those bathroom fixtures, dunno why, its safer and cheaper than a power bar with those plug in adapters.[/quote]

I agree. So much safer than a power strip with socket plugs. I cringe when I see those. I grabbed that one because it was cheap. Clearance aisle at Lowes. Even full price it was only like $7. Already had the wire and plug. Threw in four blue CFL and two red, I hear mixing the spectrums is good, and it was good to go. I'm not sure how important a reflector is but I've got one made from a piece of spectra-light from a skylight, found brand new in a dumpster mind you. I just need to figure out how to attach it.

6. the temps sound ok, but humidity is way low, i am uneasy with mine at 35%,

also i would try and get that hps figured out soon, you will need at least two weeks to fine tune the cooling (if you will even be able to get the temps within an acceptable range) your probably gonna need way more than a pc fan for cooling any hps, or your gonna wanna design some kind of vented hood that runs totally seperate from your cab, has to draw its own air and everything so that it wont get restricted by a filter,

my 8-40W and 1-125W cfls almost need to be totally seperated and my wardrobe tent is fairly big compared to your cabinet.

7. Personally I have bought the sun system lamp and ended up cutting it apart anyways. Buy the hardware store light and use stovepipe for a reflector. Rewire the ballast with 2 feet of cord and move it out of your grow space. If you go over 2 feet you might need a long range ignitor. Helps spread the light better than the sun system lamp and gets heat out of your grow space.

8. [here's](http://imgur.com/a/3eUmL) my babies. one is a few days behind. the small one just did this today, soil was dry so I watered and misted with just water. Just started the Bigger one on big bloom two days ago and already so much growth! Temps are about 79/80 during day and drop to 65 at night. Also I keep a cup of water in there which helps keep the humidity around 30%.

9. looking nice man, shrot and fat:)

10. my cabinet was too small. time for extreme home makeover:microgrow edition

here is the original cabinet
    [​IMG]

learning new things every day and quickly realized that I need another cabinet of equal size to flower in. Floorspace is always an issue in a studio apartment so I bought a taller cabinet and began to rebuild, the little one may go or be used for an additional flowering chamber, not sure yet.

here's the new cabinet currently.
    [​IMG]

The cabinet is about five feet tall, two feet wide. I am planning to go pick up a microscope at radio-shack today, they are close to sexing. My plants seem extremely compact compared to others on here, is it just from keeping them so close to the lights? Most of my build is DIY. I collect things here and there to do this in the most affordable manner possible. I have a blower from a furnace I placed in a box in the lower chamber as my exhaust fan. I also salvaged a dimmer to control the speed of the fan, knob can be seen on front of box. I upgraded the lights by adding a reflector, it was brand new 16" duct tube for a solar light, (highly reflective, pretty sure it's mylar) pulled from a dumpster. foam tape around the doors, and special duct tape sealant on the hinge side.

[​IMG]

flower chamber is still under construction.
    [​IMG]

I plan to order a floralux 150HPS from htg. I can't seem to find one for cheap or salvage one so this, besides my nutes, is going to be my biggest expense. Need to find an appropriate sized tub for the chamber. It is about 11" deep which is tricky. I'd like to be able to pull 4oz/month once I know what I'm doing. Planning on flowering in some bubble buckets after I root my clones.

Here's all the pics. I'm going to go shopping and update again tonight...

11. nice update man, cant wait to see it turn out...

12. thanks! i'm having a bit of an issue with one of my girls.

[​IMG]

she has yellow something fierce. i hoped when i fed them saturday they would get better. she showed some minor improvements, but not what i was hoping for. any help or tips would be awesome. I asked on another forum and was told over watering but I'm not sure how, I let them dry out almost completely between waterings/feedings. I think it's a nitrogen deficiency but this is my first grow.

13. looks like nitrogen deficiency best way to fix that and cheapest way is to use urine. dont use alot just a little and increase it slightly if there is no change within 3-4 days

14. Nice grow.. I like your grow space, made a clean job of it

15. urine!?!?!? are you serious lmao
    get some grow big or anything with nitrogen in it..
    nitrogen is the first of the 3 numbers listed on all nutrients