First Grow -Micro Magic Bud

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by LazyWalruss, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Hello fellow tokers!

So, after some thinking and thunking, and getting the permission of my soon-to-be housemate (a real froody old friend of mine), I am about to embark into the world of cultivation!

But.... naturally, sort of lost. I have some seeds from an abortive atempt a little while back (abortive in that i ran ahead of myself, was still living at home, mysister HATES that I smoke, my mother smokes with me but hates dealing with my sister, and my step-father's job meant if it were discovered things would go to hell in a hand grenade awfull fast. No he's not a leo, yes he knows I smoke and doesn't mind. lets me do it inside, even. Just the growing probably not so good.
    But he retires this year anyway so... rockin.

I just bought this for 20 bucks or so.

[​IMG] It's 1200 h * 1000 w * 480 d. All in mm, inches that's 47.2 *39.3*18.8 THe plan is for a stealth grow, for inspections and such, and peace of mind, obviously i plan on knocking out the internals for a clean empty box.
    Questions: Lighting. How much , what types? I'll be going CFL in terms of design but are unfamiliar with the different frequencies related to growing, how much output required.... ect (damnit man I'm a physicist not a botonist!).
    I was planning, due to restrictive space, to do a week of veg tops... good idea? I understand it's simply a matter of lighting schedules that' the difference, correct?
    Do you think this is an adequate grow space? In terms of yeild... well an ounce every three months would keep me INSANELY happy. More and... well i have to make brownies or something 'cause I'll be overstocked.
    Has anyone grown magic bud before? What can I expect grow wise and smoke wise?

:D
    Watch this space for the journal too!

2. I'd be careful if I was you. Can you trust the guy you told cause people tend to think it's cool that their friends are growing and go and tell other people and those people tell other people and that's how u get caught.

And for the lights people have told me use atleast 100w per plant and 50+ for each additional plant. That's the actualy watts of the CFLS not the eqvivlency. 6500k(Daylight) for veg, and 2500k( Could be wrong number, Soft White) for flowering. Now don't trust me 100% I could be wrong but for the most part I think I am on the right track.

I have never really grown but I have been reading these forums for quite a while until I can actually grow.

3. You are going to need to make sure you take care of a few absolutely necessary things. First off, at the bottom of your dresser you will want to cut holes the exact size of 4" PC fans. Rig these fans so that they blow air into your box (Intake). At the top of your box, you will need fans blowing out. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have more power blowing out than you have coming in. Otherwise you will create pressurized air which will make your temps rise through the roof. As for lighting, you will need Compact Flourescent Bulbs. 6500k Daylight bulbs emit a bright white, almost blueish light that looks similar to that of LED flashlights. These bulbs are generally regarded as sufficient for the vegatative cycle. Ideally, you want the least bulbs with the most watts. 150 watts per plant is good for vivacious growth, but you can undercut this if necessary. Less light makes smaller plants, and can, but doesn't always, effect potency. For the flowering cycle your lights need to be switched to 12 hours on, 12 hours off, and your lighting needs to be made up of mostly 2300-2700k bulbs. These are often called warm white, and they emit a calm, yellowish light. You will need to do research on nutrients, PH, temperature control, odor control, and just plan technique, however all the information you need is on these forums. Best of luck to you!

4. #4 LazyWalruss, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
    Danker, yeah fairly sure this friend of mine's up there with it. He's been my best mate for 3 years, has lived with people who have grown before (and kept his silence), and is possibly THE most trustworthy person I know. In fact I trust him more than my sister.
    Odor control wise I came across what seems to be a very cost effective version of a carbon filter. It's Called an OdorSok, it works by chemical adsorbtion to carbon fibers (20nm)... seems like it should work pretty well , and is substantially cheaper than the activated carbon filters traditionally sold. Anyone used these before?

Nutrients and stuffs I have been reading widely on, think I can have that sorted before i start the grow.
    I was thinking of a mix of lights.. say 2 plants, 1 6500k one 2700k, doing an 18/6 for the first week then 12/12 till harvest after, just to get the size down... those are 130 watt actuals btw.

EDIT: Ventilation wise: How quickly should the air move through the grow box? IE I can get some good 120 mm fans that are 44 cfm, and it's a 10 cubic foot space for my initial grow (half the box)... just one intake one outake or?

5. ok, a bit of a bump and an update:
    firstly, a shopping list of the things I've bought for this little project:
    Cabinet above, 20 bucks
    2 130 watt cfl's 1 6400k one 2700k, and a holder - 75
    some mylar (a touch water damaged but mostly usable) 1.3m*6m - 30
    Odor sok (125mm*300mm) - 55
    so all up I've spent about 200 on this little project... still need the fans, nutes and potting mix though... but I'm a few weeks off starting anyways...

IMPORTANT:
    Has anyone used an odor sok before? comments/suggestions welcome.

6. double-bump: Ordered my fans today. a 5-pack of some rather speccy 120mm pc fans (I'm a techie at heart... i know i won't use all of them... they were on special and I can always swap out some of my old pc fans :D). these things are good to 75 cfm. I figure moving my entire growspace's air every 8.5 seconds wil be good enough :D... well, probably a lot less thn that with the odor sock mounted on one, but that's the idea of the higher-power fan. Compensation!

7. You wouldn't need that odor neutralizer till you start flowering. But it also depends on the strain you have.

Remember, intake fan on lower portion of cabinet and outake(exhaust) on higher portion of cabinet.